Geno 2.0 Markers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geno 2.0 Markers?

Are the 130,000+ markers used in the test sufficient to give a well defined admixture result? How many are needed and is more better or superfluous?

I ordered this test and hope it gives me what I am looking for - in 2006 I did a very early test by DNA Print Genomics which tested for 176 AIMs and the results were 82% European, 10% sub-saharan, 6% East Asian, and 2% Native American. I have not found anyone other than 'white' on both sides. I hope this test will confirm or deny this result plus add the Y and mtDNA. I am not looking to reach any cousins so I thought this was a great deal for $200.

Also, does any one know if you can get the raw data for this test?

Of the 130,000 autosomal markers tested by Geno 2.0, 80,000-90,000 autosomal SNPs overlap Family Finder but they are purely for anthropological use, not genealogical. In other words, they would intersect the Population Finder section rather than the matching section of FF.

Geno 2.0 is definitely the best admixture test available but time will tell once the actual results become available.

You will be able to download the Geno 2.0 raw data unlike ancestryDNA who hides this information from you.

AncestryDNA apparently doesn't want you to question their quality control or lack thereof.

Comment

That last sentance may be innacurate and is certainly unfair. Raw results are large. Companies like Ancestry pay a lot of money for the network bandwidth they use and making raw results available for download would require investments in providing that capability on the software side and additional costs for bandwidth. Neither one of those factors is trivial.

I can think of many things I'd rather have them invest their time and money on before raw data downloads such as giving us the ability to search for surnames across our matches.

Comment

To come back to the original question: the number of SNPs is not the most important factor for an ancestry test. The 1000000 SNPs from 23andme and the 700000 SNPs from FF were selected for their capacity to find matches (and for the health information in the case of 23andme).

Every one of the 130000 autosomal SNPs of Geno 2.0 was chosen for his capacity to distinguish populations, and this after studying 450 different populations.

So yes, it should definetly be the best ancestry test available so far.

For more detail please read the autosomal part from CeCe Moore blog report.

Comment

Thanks for the responses - now I just need to learn how to deal with the raw data. Any websites, tutorials, etc.? They just ship it so hopefully it will be here in a week or so.

Comment

Regarding these markers - how do they assign informative values to these things? Also, what min/max frequency do they look for when choosing these markers - I mean if a marker has a 90% frequency in a certain area and 3% frequency in another is it not possible that your marker came from the 3% area not the 90% one? Or would the 3% ultimately still come from the 90% area furhter back? I guess the more markers from that area, even if other areas have a lower frequency, would establish an ancestor from there at some point in the past - correct?

Comment

Have any Y SNPs been released to the public yet?

Or are we still in the dark as to what SNPs are tested on this chip?

Comment

We are still in the dark. Hopefully, not for long...

Comment

Originally posted by Solothurn View Post
                  Have any Y SNPs been released to the public yet?

Or are we still in the dark as to what SNPs are tested on this chip?
                  The same question was asked in another thread. See my answer at http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...06&postcount=2

Comment

Spencer Wells is going to spill the beans in Florence, Italy on Nov. 9.

Here is a news article.
                    Anyone speak Italian?

http://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/tecno...?uuid=AbNjOUxG

Comment

Originally posted by ajmr1a1 View Post
                      Spencer Wells is going to spill the beans in Florence, Italy on Nov. 9.

Here is a news article.
                      Anyone speak Italian?

http://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/tecno...?uuid=AbNjOUxG
                      Thanks for that link!

Here's what Google Translate makes of it. Note that the claim that 524,384 people have applied for Geno 2.0 kits is not credible. I understand the 524,384 figure to be the total number of kits processed through the GP (i.e. the total of Geno 1 and Geno 2).

Those links that unite the paths of humanity

They've already done in 524,384. More than half a million people from 40 countries have written, have been made to send the kit Geno 2.0 DNA, performed the buffer, have it shipped and received in exchange a lot of explanations about the origins of their ancestors, as to why their children have red hair or olive complexion.

Because this is the purpose of the great Genographic Project, sponsored by the National Geographic Society and the results will be presented Nov. 9 in Florence, as part of Florens 2012 - International Biennial of cultural and environmental assets - by Spencer Wells, population geneticist student Luca Cavalli-Sforza and now coordinator of the project: to understand who we are and, more importantly, where we come from and how we are connected to each other.

A Wells NĂ²va asked to explain the project and its ultimate goals. "The idea is to create a complete map of the great migrations of man, and to figure out who we are children. A part of the project is still relatively isolated populations, indigenous people, because we believe that only the knowledge of the origins may give rise to a right protection and valorisation of traditional and part concerns the inhabitants of more developed countries, because only having a framework complete genetic credible scenarios can be drawn. "

For the latest information, the DNA collected is compared with 130,000 marker genes, which help to rebuild the identity of their ancestors, the picture is then completed by the analysis of mitochondrial DNA, which passes only from the mother, and that is compared with thousands of genes of the same type, and 130,000 genes on the Y chromosome, being male only contributes to reconstruct the paternal line of ancestors. The project is non-profit, and is not intended to collect medical information, such as Wells explains: "Genographic Although it is totally non-profit, the data collected are not deliberately analyzed from the point of view of biomedical and remain strictly anonymous and confidential, because our purpose is not to identify genes linked to diseases but paths of humanity. "

Now that's a pretty rough translation and Google's translator doesn't help me determine if said presentation features more results from Geno 1, or details of Geno 2.0, or both.

Perhaps somebody here with Italian language skills can help clarity that.
                      Last edited by gtc; 30 October 2012, 03:26 AM.

Comment

I do speak some Italian, enough to understand the text, and the translation is mostly correct...
                        A few corrections to the translation which could be easily guessed even without understandin the language:
                        "Spencer Wells population geneticist student of Luca Cavalli Sforza"
                        "Nova (the magazine) asked Wells to explain"

Also, the last paragraph is missing from your translation. It explains some of the results of the Geno 1.0.

And yes, there is a big incorrection when they say than Geno 2.0 analyses 130000 Y-SNPs, of course.

Anyway as for what interests us, we don't have more information than what is in your translation. All we know is that the results of the Genographic project will be presented in this conference in Florence.

We also know that on the 10th Spencer Wells will be presenting Geno 2.0 to the FTDNA conference (by Skype, since he will still be in Italy).

I guess it is highly probable that the Genographic project scientific papers we are all waiting for will also be published at that occasion...

Comment

Originally posted by Itai View Post
                          And yes, there is a big incorrection when they say than Geno 2.0 analyses 130000 Y-SNPs, of course.
                          Yes, they have not paid sufficient attention to the details behind the numbers they were given.

For the record:

~130,000 auDNA + X-DNA
                          ~12,000 Y-DNA
                          ~3,300 mdTNA

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Genographic_Project

Comment

Thanks Mike

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                            The same question was asked in another thread. See my answer at http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...06&postcount=2

Comment

The translation's pretty close, as Itai stated. If I'm not mistaken, I think 500K used to be the number shown on the Genographic homepage, so perhaps the 524K reflects the number of kits sold for 2.0? Does anyone know how many have been sold since it was announced?

Comment

Working...
                              X