Complimentary Geno 2.0 kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complimentary Geno 2.0 kit

One of the FTDNA kits I administrate was selected for use in the development process of the geno 2.0 project.

One criterium for the selection was its FMS.

The selected kit is the below mtDNA H1 kit (with link to its mitosearch profile).

It has no exact matches, 1800 HVR1+2 and over 10.000 HVR1 matches. It has a few dozen FF matches and no Y-DNA test.

Also, the testee who is not a native English speaker misunderstood the instructions and put both swabs into one testing cylinder, causing FTDNA to send him a replacement kit. FTDNA then realized that the first test kit was usable, which means they have extra swabs with DNA for that kit.

I was wondering, what characterizes other kits selected for the development of the geno 2.0 ?

-Lars.

Originally posted by Lklundin View Post
    I was wondering, what characterizes other kits selected for the development of the geno 2.0 ?
    Good question, but I expect that only Spencer Wells could answer it authoritatively.

Comment

Someone said on another thread that anyone without both an FMS and a WTY would most likely not get picked. I assume they'll pick whichever samples seem like they have the best chance of revealing new (and relevant) SNPs.

Comment

Originally posted by AJRL View Post
        Someone said on another thread that anyone without both an FMS and a WTY would most likely not get picked.
        There are numerous posts on other forums where people who have had every test, including WTY, were not selected.

I assume they'll pick whichever samples seem like they have the best chance of revealing new (and relevant) SNPs.
        My understanding is that the aim was to beta test the new chip against those with known SNPs among the set selected for the chip.

All SNPs on the chip are already "known" to science. They have to be in order to program the chip.

Comment

I was notified that I was selected for a free Geno 2.0 kit.
          Thanks NatGeo and FamilyTreeDNA!

Also, I participated in WTY, however, I don't think the new SNP (L579) they found will be on the new chip.

Yesterday, I spoke to someone from FTDNA and they confirmed the free kit. He advised me to use the mtDNA NatGeo Geno 1.0 kit number to access the results on the Genographic website after Oct. 30.

According to Rebekah Canada, the mtDNA full sequence test classified the haplogroup as H10b. I have two matches in this group with HVR1+HVR2+coding region all matching.

I understand that many people are waiting to find out more information on the SNP's included in the new ship before ordering.

Anybody know of any publication date from Dr. Spencer Wells?

Thanks,

A.J.

Comment

Working...
          X