X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• britzkrieg
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Hurst
    Also in Sykes's new book he talks about breaking out mtDNA W,I and X from his original I; but he makes up his own names for them without recognizing that the I-people, at least, have long since adopted a name for their haplogroup: Iris, I believe.
    I just started Sykes's new book last night, so I haven't gotten to this part yet. As a member of mtDNA Haplogroup I, I look forward to reading it. And yes, I'm pretty attached to the name "Iris," though considering my own ancestry, "Ida Mae" would work, too.

I think Syke's original designation was X, not I -- clan name Xenia, I believe.

britzkrieg

Leave a comment:

• Nagelfar
    replied
    I think keeping with the letter name to haplogroup letter; a better name for haplogroup "I" would be Ingwaz than Wodan. After the Yngling dynasties and the Norse fertility god Ing/Ingvi. But if it isn't strictly letter relative, I don't object to Wodan in the least. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• R1a_M17_India
    replied
    Originally posted by Donald Cooley
    The Paternal Clan name for all men in Haplogroup R (R1a and R1b) is Oisin (pronounced "O-sheen") . Oisin is one of the sons of "DNA Adam." The modern day members of the clan of Oisin are found predominantly, though not exclusively, in Europe.
    I am not sure of the 'predominantly' thing....the sheer count of R2 and R1a in South Asia (India/Pak, etc.) and Iran may be more than Europe's R1a and R1b.
    3 cheers to the successful Oisin who had a jolly good time

Leave a comment:

• Bill Hurst
    replied
    The Paternal Clan name for all men in Haplogroup R (R1a and R1b) is Oisin (pronounced "O-sheen") . Oisin is one of the sons of "DNA Adam." The modern day members of the clan of Oisin are found predominantly, though not exclusively, in Europe.....
    I was under the impression that Oisin is used by Sykes for just R1b. Woden and Sigurd are used for R1a and I, but I don't know which is which.

Also in Sykes's new book he talks about breaking out mtDNA W,I and X from his original I; but he makes up his own names for them without recognizing that the I-people, at least, have long since adopted a name for their haplogroup: Iris, I believe.

Bill Hurst

Leave a comment:

• Paulie
    replied
    The Paternal Clan name for all men in Haplogroup R (R1a and R1b) is Oisin (pronounced "O-sheen") . Oisin is one of the sons of "DNA Adam." The modern day members of the clan of Oisin are found predominantly, though not exclusively, in Europe.
    Note: Not picking on you Donald

Sorry, but this is one scientist's name for haplogroup R. Why he decided to change from his other naming convention used for MTDNA, where by he would pick a name out of a hat with the same starting letter, at least it made some sense. Perhaps he grabbed the name from the wrong hat...

I'm R1b1c/M269+ not some O guy.

All these scientists picking these pet names when the publish a book for the general public... gggrrrr

Leave a comment:

• Downer101
    replied
    I have an exact match on ysearch.org with a person whom was put in this clan.. North-Sea Baltic Group considers me an Anglo-Saxon or a Dane.. Oisin is actually for Celtic Britons..

Leave a comment:

• Donald Cooley
    started a topic Paternal Clan name for Haplogroup R is Oisin

Paternal Clan name for Haplogroup R is Oisin

For all 15 Paternal Clan names and a very interesting article, go to http://www.tsakanikas.net/paternalclans.htm . Note that their migration map differs a little from National Geograhic's Genographic Project Map (NG). I thrust the NG map more.
Working...
X