David Reich's New Book On Prehistoric Lines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Reich's New Book On Prehistoric Lines

NY Times. David Reich of Harvard is out with a new book on prehistoric and ancient lines. It provides comprehensive global coverage from lines ranging from Denisovians to Neolithic Farmers to Pacific Islanders to Bantus.

"Prehistoric" covers a huge span of time. While the number of samples of "prehistoric" DNA has increased dramatically, I think caution is required in interpreting the results. The patterns that are emerging could easily be upset by new samples, and that seems to be what is actually happening: every couple weeks, ancient samples seem to reveal some new interaction or migration of prehistoric populations. I think it will be a few years, and many thousands more samples sequenced, before things begin to settle down.

Comment

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
      "Prehistoric" covers a huge span of time. While the number of samples of "prehistoric" DNA has increased dramatically, I think caution is required in interpreting the results. The patterns that are emerging could easily be upset by new samples, and that seems to be what is actually happening: every couple weeks, ancient samples seem to reveal some new interaction or migration of prehistoric populations. I think it will be a few years, and many thousands more samples sequenced, before things begin to settle down.
      Reich would agree. His approach was not intended to give the final word

Comment

Working...
      X