England Stone Age DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England Stone Age DNA

British scientists have extracted the full genome for Cheddar Man who lived before the Neolithic revolution. He had dark to black skin and blue eyes. He was part of the Western Hunter Gatherer population. About 10% of modern Britons show a dna connection to the remains--Mtdna.

That Cheddar Man, if I remember correctly, had my mtDNA U5.

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post

Yes. It is not clear where the current research got the 10% figure. It probably was from Brian Sykes' analysis. There has been some question about possible contamination in Sykes' research.

Comment

It is not surprising at all that mesolithic Cheddar Man had the mutations for dark skin and blue eyes since the mesolithic La BraƱa specimen also had the mutations for dark skin and blue eyes and mesolithic specimens from western Europe have similar autosomal DNA.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0126134643.htm

Comment

There are two SNPs that are responsible for light skin.

SLC24A5 (rs1426654) has been found derived in both Neolithic farmer and Caucasus Hunter-Gatherer groups.

SLC45A2 (rs16891982) was found derived in Scandinavian hunter-gatherers (SHG) from the Motala site in southern Sweden. It was also found in Karelia EHG.

The derived allele of rs16891982 in SLC45A2 is almost fixed in present-day Europeans according to Mathieson 2016. So it was spread in western Europe after the Neolithic.

Olalde et al. 2017 states "Derived alleles at rs12913832 (SLC45A2)...... dramatically increased in frequency during the Beaker and Bronze Age periods (Extended Data 277 Fig. 5). Thus, the arrival of migrants associated with the Beaker Complex significantly altered the pigmentation phenotypes of British populations."

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
            What about his ydna?

Comment

Originally posted by ALASMI View Post
              What about his ydna?
              Don't know. There will be a BBC program on the research this month. Age of the remains should not be a factor. Y dna was extracted from similar aged samples in the Near East.
              Last edited by josh w.; 8th February 2018, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by josh w. View Post
                Don't know. There will be a BBC program on the research this month. Age of the remains should not be a factor. Y dna was extracted from similar aged samples in the Near East.
                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X