Genome-wide ancestry of 17th-century enslaved Africans from the Caribbean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xyyman View Post
    Of course no one is making a big deal of it. I saw only one snipet on the news. Plus a lot of " how dare you" hate mail.

People like the way things are. The truth doesn't matter.

I can backup EVERYTHING I post on.
    I'm not disputing that I was just curious.

Comment

Nothing wrong with discussion or disagreement. That is how we learn. But what is fascinating is out >26,127 !!!! European haplotypes in the database NONE was close. The alliance was formed with a far far far away "kingdom". That "explains" the female line. What about the male G2? When did R1b enter the Royals of England or are they G2 also?

Comment

Originally posted by xyyman View Post
        Nothing wrong with discussion or disagreement. That is how we learn. But what is fascinating is out >26,127 !!!! European haplotypes in the database NONE was close. The alliance was formed with a far far far away "kingdom". That "explains" the female line. What about the male G2? When did R1b enter the Royals of England or are they G2 also?

http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/1210...srep00745.html

This is a good one to read

Comment

Originally posted by hazel_ion View Post
          I like " Christina's" posts at anthrogenica. She writes with a clear mind.

Comment

The 13 original British colonies vs. those wild French/Spanish ones

"The fast answer of a "slave" child just does not fit into anything I have. And I do not think a slave child would have been raised by the man that fathered it with out there being backlash in the 1600's. All the paperwork I have shows "white" as color of people."

In what was then a French, and then Spanish, and then French colony, things were quite different in areas of what became the Louisiana Purchase. There was at least a three-tier racial/social hierarchy, with "free persons of color" not only mixing and "marrying" (as common law spouses) with whites, but also owning their own property, including slaves.

Take a look at the story of Norbert Rillieux, Edgar Degas' cousin. His mother was a "placee" and the only known spouse of slave owner and inventor Vincent Rillieux.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norbert_Rillieux

If no one in your family owned slaves, as far as you know, they were likely not well-off people. I believe that the wealthy and well-connected had more leeway. The French and Spanish kept excellent records in the 1600s-1800s, but it's still quite possible that you had a mixed ancestor or ancestor. One possible scenario is that a woman of mixed race gave birth to a child who looked white, and a white-on-paper family raised the child.

Comment

Originally posted by Olive88 View Post
              "The fast answer of a "slave" child just does not fit into anything I have. And I do not think a slave child would have been raised by the man that fathered it with out there being backlash in the 1600's. All the paperwork I have shows "white" as color of people."

In what was then a French, and then Spanish, and then French colony, things were quite different in areas of what became the Louisiana Purchase. There was at least a three-tier racial/social hierarchy, with "free persons of color" not only mixing and "marrying" (as common law spouses) with whites, but also owning their own property, including slaves.

Take a look at the story of Norbert Rillieux, Edgar Degas' cousin. His mother was a "placee" and the only known spouse of slave owner and inventor Vincent Rillieux.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norbert_Rillieux

If no one in your family owned slaves, as far as you know, they were likely not well-off people. I believe that the wealthy and well-connected had more leeway. The French and Spanish kept excellent records in the 1600s-1800s, but it's still quite possible that you had a mixed ancestor or ancestor. One possible scenario is that a woman of mixed race gave birth to a child who looked white, and a white-on-paper family raised the child.

Yep, poor as poor could be and no record at all of slaves or persons of color. As I have said this happened way before the slave trade. I have found others with this subgroup living in other parts of the world and they have never had family in America , Spain or France. I am hoping they get their full seq. done so we can compare closer.

Comment

Working...
              X