Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard III's DNA Testing Results

Identification of the remains of King Richard III

Richard III belonged to y haplogroup G2, but some living men who were believed to be in the same paternal line do not. Four of them are R1b-U152 and one is I-M170. Apparently there were NPE's somewhere along the line.

Richard III's DNA throws up infidelity surprise
    Last edited by Stevo; 2nd December 2014, 02:02 PM.

Here is a video that Jean Manco recommended. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYY-usw9K_U

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
      Identification of the remains of King Richard III

Richard III belonged to y haplogroup G2, but some living men who were believed to be in the same paternal line do not. Four of them are R1b-U152 and one is I-M170. Apparently there were NPE's somewhere along the line.

Richard III's DNA throws up infidelity surprise

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
        Here is a video that Jean Manco recommended. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYY-usw9K_U
        It was Richard Rocca and not Jean Manco that had recommended that.

Comment

Excellent video. Thanks.

Fascinating story. Most people think of Shakespeare's Richard III when they think of Richard III, but I think of Stevenson's The Black Arrow, one of my favorites.

Comment

Some people like to claim that they are related to the Royal family and the Royal family are not related to each other.This is the funniest story of the year.LOL

Comment

Kinda puts a damper on things for all the 'royalty chaser' genealogists. Lol.

Comment

It was rumored during his own lifetime that John of Gaunt was not really the son of Edward III, so it is still possible that the NPE occurred there and those R1b-U152 guys really are descended from John of Gaunt.

Y-dna tests on Edward III and John of Gaunt are needed to really seal the deal.

Comment

If you check the supplementary information in the report, you will find that Richard III was a carrier of the red hair variant rs1805007, known as Arg151Cys or R151C. T there is the risk allele, and Richard III had a CT at Arg151Cys. Since red hair is a recessive trait, you need TT to actually have red hair.

I am a carrier of the red hair variant Arg160Tryp (rs1805008). The risk allele there is also T. One of my dad's older sisters, my Aunt Lois, had red hair, and my dad carries the same variant I have, so he may have passed it on to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                    If you check the supplementary information in the report, you will find that Richard III was a carrier of the red hair variant rs1805007, known as Arg151Cys or R151C. T there is the risk allele, and Richard III had a CT at Arg151Cys. Since red hair is a recessive trait, you need TT to actually have red hair.
                    OMG. Richard III must be a Tocharian!

Comment

In all the information I read there was no mention of the mtDNA haplogroup other than it was rare. Has anyone found information on this?

Comment

Originally posted by andreastill.gen View Post
                        In all the information I read there was no mention of the mtDNA haplogroup other than it was rare. Has anyone found information on this?
                        The supplementary information on page 45 of the PDF states that it is J1c2c3.

Comment

In Supplementary information

Originally posted by andreastill.gen View Post
                          In addition to J1c2c3 information provided by Armando, on page 11 in http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/14...mms6631-s1.pdf there is a Supplementary Table 6: Mitochondrial DNA type of ML1, ML2 and Skeleton 1. with the detailed results.

W.
                          Last edited by dna; 3rd December 2014, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

It's hardly surprising - I'm sure we all have a non-paternity event somewhere in our ancestry, I don't see why the royal family would be any different.

Comment

Working...
                              X