Not a success; my emotional response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geharris611 View Post

My grandfather used to say that at the end of the day the only thing that really matters is whether or not the world is a better place because you are in it. From the sounds of it, I'd say the answer to that is yes.
    An excellent summary (although I cut the first paragraphs off here for brevity sake.)

My brother and wife adopted three children - now grown and married. Each different in nature and outlook. But each one a credit to their parents and to themselves. Of the three, I believe only one has any vague wish to identify the birth parent(s). And yes, the world is a better place because they are in it.

Comment

Sometimes I lose the gist of the original posts on these threads, but I'll throw in my two-cents here:

I think there is something to the belief that certain non-physical traits are biologically inherited. That is not to say that those traits cannot be molded, to a point, by our social world (including our parenting -- by our parents, grandparents, teachers or whoever else is in our personal "village").

I have no doubt that personalilty characteristics are inherited.

Over time, I have come to accept that basic intelligence is inherited too. One theory in psychology I very much believe in is Dr. Howard Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences. The original 7 intelligences he wrote about were: linguistic, logical-mathematical, musical, bodily-kinesthetic, spacial, intrapersonal and interpersonal. In his later writings, Gardner notes the possibility there may be others as well, including spiritual intelligence.
      Last edited by mixedkid; 14 November 2011, 12:31 AM. Reason: corrected spelling

Comment

Working...
      X