McManus/O'Conor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McManus/O'Conor

Hello, I transferred my record from DNA Heritage about a month ago. The most exciting news recently to come to our group is some new data available through the Connor YDNA Group at Family Tree DNA http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/conner/ It has allowed us to calculate the deduced modal haplotype of the McManus Family of Kilronan, Roscommon, Ireland. A modal haplotype is the most common result for each marker tested in a group of results. From this can be deduced the ancestral signature of the oldest known or suspected haplotype for a lineage. We can now show this through comparing the haplotypes of seven of our Kilronan McManuses and the O’Conor Don. This has been characterized as the Deduced Modal Haplotype of Manus O’Conor of Kilronan (circa 1150 AD), the son of Turlough O’Conor, High King of Ireland. According to the old Irish annals, the sons of Manus O’Conor, or in the Irish Maghnus Ua Conchobair, changed their name to MacManus, i.e. sons of Manus, and the name continues to this day. If the annals are to be believed, we are really O’Conors but by comparing the YDNA data we have been able to bring much more credence to the old records which associate the two names. This is an important breakthrough for our group. It also holds great potential for identifying the genetic ancestral fingerprint of anyone who may be a Kilronan McManus and wishes to take the YDNA test and join our group. There’s much more to see in our reference section at the group web pages http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/axhsk5/index.htm. Best wishes. Michael.
    Last edited by MihalMacMaghnusa; 1 August 2011, 02:44 AM.

Very interesting. Has any McManus from County Cavan tested, and if so do they fall into this cluster as well?

Comment

Co. Cavan McManuses

We don't have anyone tested who has a known history in Co. Cavan. So we don't know what the YDNA profile might be for those McManuses. If I were to hazard a guess I think they would more likely to be connected to the Ulster haplogroup, in particular Fermanagh, of which we have several testers in the group. I say this because I know there were many McManuses on the border with Fermanagh and Cavan. The Ulster haplogroup is clearly distinct from the Connaught one - another success we have been able to show through the test results over the last five years.

Comment

Thanks for that -- I know there is a group toward the north of Cavan (including one of my ancestors): given the proximity it would make sense their fitting into the Ulster group rather than the Connacht group.

Comment

Variation

Given that we have, hopefully, achieved these two advances, there is another important unknown element currently which we need to get some handle on. That's the non-Ulster, non-Connaught haplotypes. It would be a mistake to just think in terms of two groupings. If Manus was a common first name 1000 years ago it seems to make sense to accept that there are others called McManus who neither have Maguire (Ulster) or O'Conor (Connaught) profiles. I think this is in the Project's 'difficult' file. But we need to keep it mind all the time and not put it in the 'too hard' file and neglect it. It would be interesting to see the haplotype of these Cavan people. We have a famous snooker player here (Scotland actually)called Alan McManus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_McManus whose parents are from Cavan. If we had a couple of Cavan testers I suppose we would be on our way to answering the question. This is always the hardest bit, especially now at a time of recession and people are counting their pennies. The best way to go about this is to contact McManuses who are living in Cavan and whose families are known to have been there for a very long time.

Again, there is often a spanner in the works. A McManus lady in Georgia had her brother test a few years ago. The documentation and verbal stories led back to her great grandfather coming to the US from the south of County Roscommon. Her brother's result, however, showed his profile was clearly a Fermanagh McManus. In a province like Ulster, with so much unsettled population historically, we can point to many periods where Catholics fled to the south to avoid persecution by Protestant neighbours, e.g. The Battle of the Diamond around 1700. So there we are - another revelation of science.

Comment

Yes indeed, that would be the way to go. Too bad I don't know of any direct descendants of my McManus line, though I suspect Alan would be some sort of cousin!

Comment

Working...
            X