Reading Info on DNA Genealogy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading Info on DNA Genealogy?

I sent my DNA test in to Family Tree DNA on Monday.

I thought while I was waiting I would go on the forum to get acquainted with what I might find.

Unfortunately I find that I have no clue what all of you are talking about. It is far over my head.

I was wondering if you could refer me to some website or books that could explain all of this to me so that I can hopefully have some understanding when my results come back.

Thanks

The book I usually recommend to newbies is "Deep Ancestry" by Spencer Wells. It is written in an accessible and interesting manner.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
      The book I usually recommend to newbies is "Deep Ancestry" by Spencer Wells. It is written in an accessible and interesting manner.
      It would be nice if someone would write an easy-to-understand, get-to-the-point book about everything in DNA. I haven't read Deep Ancestry. I doubt that my county library carries it. I have read Bryan Sykes' Seven Daughters of Eve while waiting for my first mtdna test, from the Genographic Project. That book is too much like a novel. It should be condensed into less than 50 pages, with no fiction/drama. I've read a book by the Italian man Spencer Wells looks up to. I can't remember his name but I think it was Luca Cavalli-S. ?. It was old, small book about ABO blood types. Wasn't helpful for me. And I read Oppenheimer's book about YDNA in the British Isles (Blood of the Isles or Saxons, Celts, and Vikings). You may be better off just looking at the Atlas on the Genographic Project website and asking questions on the forum(s).

Comment

May I suggest:

http://dna-forums.org

Once registered ( free and painless )

http://dna-forums.org/index.php?/for...bie-questions/

Originally posted by CroMag+ View Post
        I sent my DNA test in to Family Tree DNA on Monday.

I was wondering if you could refer me to some website or books that could explain all of this to me so that I can hopefully have some understanding when my results come back.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by CroMag+ View Post
          I was wondering if you could refer me to some website or books that could explain all of this to me so that I can hopefully have some understanding when my results come back. Thanks
          Go to http://www.familytreedna.com/Default.aspx Look in the right hand column for Genetic Genealogy Tutorials. Visit each link. On the "Books and Videos" link items are listed by level of understanding. Many of these can be found on Ebay and/or Amazon.com.

I believe a good book for starting is "Trace Your Roots with DNA : Using Genetic Tests to Explore Your Family Tree" by Megan Smolenyak, Ann Turner. Ann is a member of this list.

Comment

Since Ann is an active member here (and I've found your posts very helpful, Ann!) may I ask is there any chance of a revised 2nd edition any time soon??? Please???? I'm guessing that if I read this book now (I see it came out in 2004, according to amazon.com) I would be keenly aware of how it's been dated by the additions of the various tests that are available now that were not even 6 years ago. I just got my FF results a week ago and so I'm just getting started, but it seems to me the level of difficulty of working with one's FamilyFinder results (including x-chromosome) is much, *much* higher than understanding and using y-DNA results. A lot of useful stuff is contributed here by many generous folks. One problem is trying to find it when I need it. I've taken to copying and pasting things that look like they might be useful, but it's hard to keep up and to stay organized!

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post

I believe a good book for starting is "Trace Your Roots with DNA : Using Genetic Tests to Explore Your Family Tree" by Megan Smolenyak, Ann Turner. Ann is a member of this list.

Comment

Originally posted by dwight View Post
              Since Ann is an active member here (and I've found your posts very helpful, Ann!) may I ask is there any chance of a revised 2nd edition any time soon??? Please???? I'm guessing that if I read this book now (I see it came out in 2004, according to amazon.com) I would be keenly aware of how it's been dated by the additions of the various tests that are available now that were not even 6 years ago. I just got my FF results a week ago and so I'm just getting started, but it seems to me the level of difficulty of working with one's FamilyFinder results (including x-chromosome) is much, *much* higher than understanding and using y-DNA results. A lot of useful stuff is contributed here by many generous folks. One problem is trying to find it when I need it. I've taken to copying and pasting things that look like they might be useful, but it's hard to keep up and to stay organized!
              No, no plans for another book. I think the 2004 book holds up pretty well for the basics of mtDNA and Y testing -- fathers still give their Y to their sons, and mothers still give their mtDNA to all their children! But we are in virgin territory for Family Finder / Relative Finder tests, and we're all learning as we go.

Comment

Reading material

I agree with Ann (the author), 90 % of their great book would be the same if updated - higher resolution Y-STR tests are now available and Family Finder tests are now available. Ann and Megan's book, give you a great introduction to many DNA tests available. Their book came out in 2004.

You need to really state your goals for using DNA. Strictly genealogical in nature or is deep ancestry / ethnicity more important ? For genealogical only purposes, I also like the two books by Chris Pomery - both have a lot of overlap - but these should be your 2nd and 3rd books to read. For beginners, reading these three books (several times) is the way to go to get up to speed. Pomery's books are: 1) "Family History in the Genes," 2007; 2) "DNA and Family History," 2004. I like Pomeroy's books as they are geared towards genealogists only.

I have also purchased around 15 books on Genetic Genealogy - each have a little to add - but the above three books are the starting books for genealogists. Unfortunately, none of these books address more complex issues that many Surname Project admins face - the forums are the next best place to supplement these books. Also, look at the DNA Surname project web sites - these are great learning tools for genealogists.
                Last edited by Robert Casey; 29 December 2010, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X