Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missing GGG parents found by FF

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Missing GGG parents found by FF

    Sometimes one wonders if Family Finder will actually work. I can say it can and has for me.

    Recently I had a predicted 3rd cousin match who I assisted in researching some of his past family tree and lineage. He called me one day saying he found a common set of ggggrandparents to another FF match of his. His FF match is also a predicted 4th cousin FF match of mine. We all three match. The three of use all share the same segment in the chromosome browser. So we have an in common segment and match between three FF matches.

    One thing left to do was to triangulate using my mother's FF test to determine if I matched both of these 3rd/4th cousins by the same lineage and I do, by my father.

    1. We have a three way in common FF match
    2. We share the same segment in the browser
    3. We know it is a paternal segment of mine using my mother's FF test as a reference.
    4. We see a set of the same ggggrandparents in the GEDCOMs of both my matches.

    Its a small step but a good one.

    We can safely assume I have just found a set of ggggrandparents I did not know about on my father's side.

  • #2
    Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
    Sometimes one wonders if Family Finder will actually work.
    It can ... as long as your cousins are also using it. Aye, there's the rub.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
      Sometimes one wonders if Family Finder will actually work. I can say it can and has for me.

      Recently I had a predicted 3rd cousin match who I assisted in researching some of his past family tree and lineage. He called me one day saying he found a common set of ggggrandparents to another FF match of his. His FF match is also a predicted 4th cousin FF match of mine. We all three match. The three of use all share the same segment in the chromosome browser. So we have an in common segment and match between three FF matches.

      One thing left to do was to triangulate using my mother's FF test to determine if I matched both of these 3rd/4th cousins by the same lineage and I do, by my father.

      1. We have a three way in common FF match
      2. We share the same segment in the browser
      3. We know it is a paternal segment of mine using my mother's FF test as a reference.
      4. We see a set of the same ggggrandparents in the GEDCOMs of both my matches.

      Its a small step but a good one.

      We can safely assume I have just found a set of ggggrandparents I did not know about on my father's side.
      Matt, that is really exciting, congratulations!

      I have a situation where I have a FF 5th cousin match who is also a 5th cousin match to my mtDNA FGS match. However, unfortunately FF did not pick up my mtDNA FGS match as a match to me on FF(assume our common ancester is too far back). So, I sort of have a partial triangulation I guess.....

      Comment


      • #4
        Congratulations Matt.

        Comment


        • #5
          Grats Matt.

          BTW you have a decent cousinship to one of my MTDNA high matches so it's pretty clear you and your mother are on my maternal grandmother's side of things.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kasandra View Post
            Grats Matt.

            BTW you have a decent cousinship to one of my MTDNA high matches so it's pretty clear you and your mother are on my maternal grandmother's side of things.
            Thanks!

            I can only trace back to 1774 for her mtDNA line which would be distant to recent: Pope, Yount, Deal, Wyatt, Weems, Dixon, then my mother.

            .

            Comment


            • #7
              Matt had uploaded his mother's X-DNA to GEDmatch, but for some reason, it wasn't showing in the database. I fixed it and did a comparison with Kasandra. It produced very decent results:

              Longest Common Region = 303 SNPs = 5.45 cM
              Total Shared Regions = 2454 SNPs = 26.61 cM

              Matt, would you upload your mother's Autosomal data to GEDmatch? A high resolution comparison with Kasandra might be interesting.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                Thanks!

                I can only trace back to 1774 for her mtDNA line which would be distant to recent: Pope, Yount, Deal, Wyatt, Weems, Dixon, then my mother.

                .
                Just to be clear, your mom and I have different MTDNA haplogroups, I'm a k1A10. But since I match her and you match my MTDNA match it has to be on my grandmother's side (my mother had no sibs) but NOT her direct maternal line after that so.. my Ggrandfather or GGgrandfather etc. in my grandmother's line.

                To John: Thanks for checking. Leon's site shows us as a match too. It looks like fifth to sixth cousin maybe? Hard to say.

                I really wish FTDNA would do a study on how many adopted people are related to other adopted people vs unadopted people related to adopted folks. I know many of us come here who are searching but it seems like the adopted folks are often related and the impulse is to think that adopting your children out is genetic... (Humans seek patterns everywhere though so I don't assume it's true).

                Comment

                Working...
                X