Newly found half-sister confirmed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Encouraged

I was adopted when I was two years old, after I was married and had children of my own I became more interested in finding my biological family. My birth name was Yates but some family members thought there was some doubt about this. I was really hoping that D N A would solve this problem for me but so far no close matches. I was given the origin of my ydna which is Nordic. Today I googled the origin of the Yates name and it seems to also have a Nordic origin so even though I don't have an individual match I do have a haplogroup match to my possible surname which is more encouragement than I've had in many years. It looks like I may be on the right track, Thank you Family tree D N A.

Comment

Other data banks

[QUOTE=michaelmossburg1;310133]I was adopted when I was two years old, after I was married and had children of my own I became more interested in finding my biological family. My birth name was Yates but some family members thought there was some doubt about this. I was really hoping that D N A would solve this problem for me but so far no close matches. QUOTE]

Have you entered your Y-DNA into the database at YSearch.com. You can do so from your homepage. On the left side column, beneath the Y-DNA section.

You might also enter your results into the databank at Ancestry.com. Both of these databanks accept results from other than FTDNA, so it will broaden your search.

Comment

[QUOTE=JPHutchins;310273]
        Originally posted by michaelmossburg1 View Post
        I was adopted when I was two years old, after I was married and had children of my own I became more interested in finding my biological family. My birth name was Yates but some family members thought there was some doubt about this. I was really hoping that D N A would solve this problem for me but so far no close matches. QUOTE]

Have you entered your Y-DNA into the database at YSearch.com. You can do so from your homepage. On the left side column, beneath the Y-DNA section.

You might also enter your results into the databank at Ancestry.com. Both of these databanks accept results from other than FTDNA, so it will broaden your search.
        Thanks for the tips. I did enter my Y-DNA into Ysearch but I didn't know that Ancestry.com was linkable.
        Thanks again....

Comment

Originally posted by nolnacsj View Post
          I also have one mtDNA FMS (was FGS) match with a man. His mother just agreed to to the FTDNA FF test and has ordered her kit. I was adopted, so I am hoping that our most recent common female ancestor is not too far back so that I will be able to see how closely or distantly we are related.

Reading about your 1/2 sibling match was encouraging. Congratulations!

Judy
          I guess I never updated this post. My mtDNA FMS match's mother did do the FF test and unfortunately she did not show up as a FF match with me, at least not under the Affy platform. Maybe she will appear in my new Illumina results...... Anyway, I guess her and my MRCA is too far back to be picked up by FF.

Comment

Both you and mtDNA match should upload your raw results to gedmatch.com and you see if you have any small segment matches. Also you can see other matches who just missed beingyour FF matches... and you'll also see some 23andme matches.

Comment

Originally posted by thetick View Post
              Both you and mtDNA match should upload your raw results to gedmatch.com and you see if you have any small segment matches. Also you can see other matches who just missed beingyour FF matches... and you'll also see some 23andme matches.
              I did upload both of our FTDNA FF Affy results to Gedmatch quite a while back. We do not share any of the same matches yet, but I do see a few folks that show up matching other people in the matrix that we do not match with directly. I have not uploaded our Illumina results yet as they are still coming in and/or converting.

Comment

Originally posted by reallife View Post
                I have a new sister I didn't know about until a couple months ago. Her story was quite a shock to me and my other sisters but it fit the known facts and the photos we exchanged were indisputable. So, I told her about FTDNA and she did the Family Finder test (which I had already done out of curiosity earlier this year). BINGO! Today we got DNA confirmation! We are half-siblings. I'll leave it to her if she wants to join the forum and tell more of her story. We are all very happy to have her in our family and can't wait to meet her. The only negative is that our mother went to her grave with a secret that must have been very painful...
                I recently attended a family function in the USA where my two SISTERS live, A person who had never even heard our story until that time said "oh this is your Half brother" my Sister replied "No he's my brother, we dont do things by halves in this family", made me feel great and I think she's right, how can you be half related?.

Comment

Working...
                X