Newly found half-sister confirmed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly found half-sister confirmed!

I have a new sister I didn't know about until a couple months ago. Her story was quite a shock to me and my other sisters but it fit the known facts and the photos we exchanged were indisputable. So, I told her about FTDNA and she did the Family Finder test (which I had already done out of curiosity earlier this year). BINGO! Today we got DNA confirmation! We are half-siblings. I'll leave it to her if she wants to join the forum and tell more of her story. We are all very happy to have her in our family and can't wait to meet her. The only negative is that our mother went to her grave with a secret that must have been very painful...

Great result, especially for mtDNA!

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
      Great result, especially for mtDNA!
      My half-sister was a match on the Family Finder test. Since we have confirmed that we have the same mother, of course our mtDNA would be a match. We knew that so we opted for the Family Finder to shed light on both the maternal and paternal lineage.

Comment

Originally posted by reallife View Post
        My half-sister was a match on the Family Finder test. Since we have confirmed that we have the same mother, of course our mtDNA would be a match.
        I thought I read that you had a 100% mtDNA match first.

Comment

My half-sister was a match on the Family Finder test. Since we have confirmed that we have the same mother, of course our mtDNA would be a match. We knew that so we opted for the Family Finder to shed light on both the maternal and paternal lineage.
          Congratulations! The Family Finder test is much more informative than traditional relationship testing from paternity labs, which test a small number of markers.

Comment

I thought I read that you had a 100% mtDNA match first.
            That's right. First I had a 100% exact mtDNA match with a man who lives in northern Norway. Now, I have a Family Finder match with my newly discovered half-sister. Seems my family is a lot bigger than I ever knew..

Comment

That's right. First I had a 100% exact mtDNA match with a man who lives in northern Norway.
              I see.

A good result all round.

Comment

mtDNA FMS match

I also have one mtDNA FMS (was FGS) match with a man. His mother just agreed to to the FTDNA FF test and has ordered her kit. I was adopted, so I am hoping that our most recent common female ancestor is not too far back so that I will be able to see how closely or distantly we are related.

Reading about your 1/2 sibling match was encouraging. Congratulations!

Judy

Comment

Wonderful! Best of luck to all of you.

Comment

Oh God bless you finally you have found her, its very rare to find your half siblings.

Comment

Half sister

Thank you for your kind post. My wife and I flew across the country to visit my new sister last month for a few days and she is a wonderful person. So is her husband and my new nephew.

It was quite shocking to all of us how easily we fit into a completely new and unexpected relationship. When you meet someone new at work or through social situations there is a natural hesitancy and reserve. Not in this case of long-lost relatives. After all we have the same mother, we just didn't know each other before. Within minutes we were best friends.....

If anyone else reads this and has hesitated to try to find your relatives b/c you feared rejection or were just afraid, go for it. If you find a long-lost relative you will not start your new relationship at ground zero like you do with a casual relationship. Your new family member is a family member already and you will feel a kinship from the beginning. I think it is definitely biological.

Comment

It was quite shocking to all of us how easily we fit into a completely new and unexpected relationship. When you meet someone new at work or through social situations there is a natural hesitancy and reserve. Not in this case of long-lost relatives. After all we have the same mother, we just didn't know each other before. Within minutes we were best friends.....
                        And did you both see the family resemblance immediately?

Comment

Congrats to you both!

Comment

Congratulations to all of you. Being adopted myself, I can imagine how wonderful it must be for the whole family. Best of luck to you all.

Comment

And did you both see the family resemblance immediately?
                              Oh yes. When we saw Kathy's photos at various ages and compared them to our mother and our other two sisters at the same age there was a very strong resemblance. Our voices all have a similar quality as well. When Kathy and I finally met in person, we could tell that we had similar skull structure and skeletal structure. Of course, families have variations and it isn't like we were identical twins but we are definitely siblings (half siblings). We saw all the pictures before Kathy did the FTDNA testing. Her story made sense and the DNA was simply confirmation.

Comment

Working...
                              X