Help me please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me please!

I started this journey because my son, who is adopted, and I were filing out the census and he asked me about his race and the race of his biological parents. I know the biological mother is caucasion but I have no idea about the father. Im not sure if the dna test he took will tell us, but pretty sure we can find out where the paternal ancestry is from to get an idea of ethnic background. I just received the 1st part of his results and I cant make heads or tails of whats going on. He is soo excited asking me everyday about results. I have some but cant share them with him cause I dont have a clue. Can someone please help me?!?!

I would do the National Geographic test.
    They will tell you where on earth that you came from.

Comment

Originally posted by Wannaknow View Post
      I started this journey because my son, who is adopted, and I were filing out the census and he asked me about his race and the race of his biological parents. I know the biological mother is caucasion but I have no idea about the father. Im not sure if the dna test he took will tell us, but pretty sure we can find out where the paternal ancestry is from to get an idea of ethnic background. I just received the 1st part of his results and I cant make heads or tails of whats going on. He is soo excited asking me everyday about results. I have some but cant share them with him cause I dont have a clue. Can someone please help me?!?!
      Please name the test which he took, and post the results anonymously. People here will help you interpret.

There are several approaches to your research question. One is to be satisfied with "Mixed" (or whatever the US Census term is) and not test at all.

Another is to trace the direct paternal line (Y-DNA) and direct maternal line (mtDNA) to see where those lines were several thousand years ago. That can be fascinating, but it can be ambiguous as to more recent ancestry. For example, many African American men actually have European Y-DNA.

Still another approach is to test with 23andMe and look at the Ancestry Painting results. That puts a huge number of genetic markers into just three categories: European, Asian, or African. If you got a result such as European 75%, Asian 0%, African 25%, would that be any more informative than what you already know?

Regards,
      Jim
      Last edited by Darren; 12 June 2010, 11:10 AM. Reason: removed link

Comment

He is soo excited asking me everyday about results. I have some but cant share them with him cause I dont have a clue. Can someone please help me?!?!
        Since you have already ordered a test and have started to receive results please let us know what test you ordered and which company you used. Don't even think about ordering anything else until we know what you already have.

Comment

We have had the YDNA test done and have received the first panel (1-12) results back. The results are as follows:
          DYS/allels 393/12 390/25 19/14 391/11 385a/11 385b/15 426/12 388/13 439/12 389-1/14 392/13 389-2/30

Thanks for any help
          Last edited by Wannaknow; 11 June 2010, 11:06 AM.

Comment

We have had the YDNA test done and have received the first panel (1-12) results back. The results are as follows:
            DYS/allels 393/12 390/25 19/14 391/11 385a/11 385b/15 426/12 388/13 439/12 389-1/14 392/13 389-2/30
            With just 12 markers back so far it's early days, but on those results the predictor has him heading for haplogroup R1b, which is one of the biggies. Read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_R1b_%28Y-DNA%29

Comment

Send $15.00 to the national Geographic and they will help you.
              I'm not a salesman for NG.

Comment

I'm curious as to how will NG help him if he already has tests pending with FTDNA and results from markers 1-12? I mention that because NG only uses the first 12 markers and predicts a haplogroup which he should already be able to view on his FTDNA page after logging in. I spent the $15 a while back and I wasn't impressed.

I'm adopted and I have always filled in the race I thought I should be listed as even though I didn't know my father's side until DNA.
                Last edited by mkdexter; 11 June 2010, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                  I'm curious as to how will NG help him if he already has tests pending with FTDNA and results from markers 1-12? I mention that because NG only uses the first 12 markers and predicts a haplogroup which he should already be able to view on his FTDNA page after logging in. I spent the $15 a while back and I wasn't impressed.

I'm adopted and I have always filled in the race I thought I should be listed as even though I didn't know my father's side until DNA.
                  Perhaps Darroll posted what he did about NG as a suggestion for Wannaknow to make a contribution to a scientific project related to genetic genealogy. If so, Darroll should have made that clear.

But, as you wrote, Darroll's suggestion will not give Wannaknow any more information than he or she already has. In fact, as you pointed out, once the full results of the test ordered at FTDNA come in, Wannaknow will have more information than NG is designed to provide its testers.

Comment

I was impressed with the migration maps and all of the DNA samples gathered from around the world by them.
                    If that guy is Chinese, I guess the arrows would of gone to China/Asia.
                    The way I read the post is the guy does not know his nationality.
                    A 67 point test will not help him much.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying. Yes NG does provide a ton of data based on the predicted haplogroup and covers thousands of years, migrations, etc.

As an adoptee I was glad to know my haplogroup, especially when I had the deep clade test ran, but the surname matches for me end up being more pertinent - I would guess that's where he'll want his focus (on matches) rather than on haplogroups. I might be wrong here but I'm sure more posts will paint a better picture.
                      Last edited by mkdexter; 11 June 2010, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I just got on the NG website.
                        Our road goes to France (yuk).
                        We are French.
                        We knew we were from France anyway.
                        Last edited by darroll; 11 June 2010, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darroll View Post
                          If that guy is Chinese, I guess the arrows would of gone to China/Asia.
                          The way I read the post is the guy does not know his nationality.
                          A 67 point test will not help him much.
                          As I said a few posts earlier, his 12 marker results to date are already strongly predicting R1b, so he's hardly going to be Chinese. I have already posted a link for them that shows a map of R1b's known frequency.

It's moot point about going to 67 markers simply to predict haplogroup, however if he gets the urge to look for cousins on Ysearch, etc, then 67 will stand him in good stead.

Comment

Originally posted by darroll View Post
                            Send $15.00 to the national Geographic and they will help you. I'm not a salesman for NG.
                            You do NOT send the money to NGS. You order the addition of your data to their project from your myFTDNA website. Click on Genographic Project in the left hand column. Unless you have money to burn you might want to visit https://www.familytreedna.com/faq/an...t.aspx?faqid=3 to see if this is what you want.

Comment

We have had the YDNA test done and have received the first panel (1-12) results back. Thanks for any help
                              When you have all of your results, at least 37 markers and 67 would be better, look at your matches. This should give you a good idea of his paternal line.

Remember, the Y-DNA test only provides information on his paternal (father's father's father's ---- father) line.

Comment

Working...
                              X