Adoptee success story, sort of, I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adoptee success story, sort of, I think

Foreward – I apologize if this is longwinded – apparently I am very long winded.

I was born 58 years ago at a Catholic home for unwed mothers in Chicago and adopted when I was 9 days old. Back in the 50’s the nuns tried to match the natural parents stated ethnicity with the adoptee parents ethnicity. The nuns told my (adoptive)parents that I was Irish, German and Dutch. Adoptive Mom was Irish and Dutch; adoptive dad was 100% Irish. Both sides of the family came over from Ireland in the 1830’s.

Being adopted was never an issue – the family was large (72 first cousins) and the extended family was even larger. Dad and his next-younger brother have seven adopted children between them. And the seven of us are close. I was similar in height and coloring to the family. While I have had no desire to meet the biological, knowing the family names and understanding where certain features came from would be nice. I never thought I looked Irish – so it has always slightly bothered me – like an itch I could not get rid of. My main issue was ‘am I really Irish?’ I grew up in two predominately Irish neighborhoods and had a couple ‘off the boat’ baby sitters with full brogues and I do fall into the lilt on occasion.

I got into DNA testing with the National Geographic study. That showed I was of West European descent, heavily leaning towards Northern France, Ireland and Spain. About a year later I discovered the link to Family Tree.

After that’ it’s been 25, 37 and eventually 67. Along the way mtDNA and the deep subclades on the haplo stuff. I don’t claim to understand all of it.

I’d get matches – 25 0 thru2, 37 3 and 4, and 67 5, 6 and 7. Wasn’t sure what to make of them.

I also could not get ethnicity on the haplogroup – r1b1b2a1b4 – which is apparently the most common group.

Never got a match on the mtDNA – T2, even with all the deep tests.

A couple months ago a man who matched me in the 67 groups exchanged some e-mails with me. He was looking for relatives – being adopted I told him I could not help him. He did tell me that with my markers I was probably a descendent of some king from 4th century Ireland. I thanked him and forgot about the reference.

Last week I checked out his website. He had a page called Clan of the Three Collas. He ran a study with 48 individuals who trace their families to these 4th century kings. A key identifier was a 425 null. What caught my eye was that about 1/3 of the surnames listed were showing up in my matches. There was a chart listing the average of 48 high member participants. I checked my markers against the list. I matched 64 out of 67 markers, including the null 425.

So at this point I think I can say with great probability I have deep Irish roots.

may I ask what the surname is?

thats great that you found this

good luck

Comment

surname?
      the adopted one is O'Toole

Comment

Originally posted by botoole60611 View Post
        surname?
        the adopted one is O'Toole
        Oops. I meant the surname of the people you match..... the 1/3 people....

Comment

here are the surnames that were listed in the group that I got from the web site

Maguire, Carroll, McDonald, McDaniel, McKenna, Biggins, Beggan, Beaghen, McMahon, Kelley, McAule, Duffy, Heany

Comment

That's good news that you found out you are Irish afterall.
            Are any of your matches also from Chicago?

Comment

Working...
            X