Acadian Amerindian Success Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ragincajun View Post
    I assume you mean weird, and not wired. Why is that weird?
    Agreed. Why is that weird Mr.Healthguy??

Comment

...Who would have known so many people with Mi'kmaq blood would end up in Louisiana, so far from their homeland?
      Actually, relatively few Acadians were exiled by the British directly to Louisiana compared to other destinations; France, the 13 Colonies, and the Caribbean, although some Caribbean exiles did subsequently sail to New Orleans.

Many Acadians escaped expulsion by going to Quebec or Maine to join Mi'kmak relatives and they may, via internal emigration, made their way to Louisiana just as some Louisianians (and others) doubtless made their way back to family in Canada. Morris Arnold in his history of the Quapaws (The Rumble of a Distant Drum) makes several mentions of the presence of Abenaki in the Arkansas Territory and the importance of Abenaki trade. So one might speculate that the division of the Acadians, and their location at opposite poles of New France was a particular stimulus to internal communication and exchange within New France.

But the Acadian diaspora was even wider, as some Acadians left their exile in France to help in the founding of the Falklands as a French colony.
      Last edited by tomcat; 5 October 2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
        Actually, relatively few Acadians were exiled by the British directly to Louisiana compared to other destinations; France, the 13 Colonies, and the Caribbean, although some Caribbean exiles did subsequently sail to New Orleans.

Many Acadians escaped expulsion by going to Quebec or Maine to join Mi'kmak relatives and they may, via internal emigration, made their way to Louisiana just as some Louisianians (and others) doubtless made their way back to family in Canada. Morris Arnold in his history of the Quapaws (The Rumble of a Distant Drum) makes several mentions of the presence of Abenaki in the Arkansas Territory and the importance of Abenaki trade. So one might speculate that the division of the Acadians, and their location at opposite poles of New France was a particular stimulus to internal communication and exchange within New France.

But the Acadian diaspora was even wider, as some Acadians left their exile in France to help in the founding of the Falklands as a French colony.

That is true, Tomcat. Louisiana was more or less an end destination. Some of my ancestors were held prisoner at Halifax for several years. Some escaped, but some were deported to Maryland, some deported To St. Domingue (Haiti), and some tried to make their way to the French Illinois country. Acadian exiles were courted by the Spanish government in Louisiana because of their expertise at farming and ranching, but the Spanish also wanted them as a buffer against English incursion from the East.

Comment

A painful story, but the true story. When official history acknowledges actual history, rather than vending the currently expedient story, we might begin to get somewhere. In the mean time Barack and Michele are simply enacting the contemporary version of passing.

Comment

Some of my ancestors were held prisoner at Halifax for several years. Some escaped, but some were deported to Maryland, some deported To St. Domingue (Haiti), and some tried to make their way to the French Illinois country. Acadian exiles were courted by the Spanish government in Louisiana because of their expertise at farming and ranching, but the Spanish also wanted them as a buffer against English incursion from the East.
            The Spanish subsequently courted Indians displaced from the Old Northwest by an expanding US as a buffer against that expansion, Algonquian-speakers, for the most part, and former allies of the French. One branch of the Kickapoo ended up in Mexico.

Comment

23andMe

RaginCajun,

Have you done the 23andMe test? Elect to share with me. I know of a Cajun and a Mi'kmaq there who would love to compare to you ... and there are others.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                RaginCajun,

Have you done the 23andMe test? Elect to share with me. I know of a Cajun and a Mi'kmaq there who would love to compare to you ... and there are others.
                Hi Tomcat:
                No, I haven't tested with 23andMe. What will their results give me? I am just not very familiar with the company. I wish I could afford to test with all of them.

Comment

FTDNA has finally offered a subclade test for haplogroup C3b (P39), which is only found in North America. All five C3 participants from the Amerindian Ancestry out of Acadia project are currently testing. One has already been resolved to C3b, and it is expected that all five of us will.

Comment

FTDNA has finally offered a subclade test for haplogroup C3b (P39), which is only found in North America. All five C3 participants from the Amerindian Ancestry out of Acadia project are currently testing. One has already been resolved to C3b, and it is expected that all five of us will.
                    That's good news.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Elizabeth~ View Post
                      That's good news.
                      My ydna has now been tested positive for C3b (P-39).

Comment

Working...
                      X