Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Success Story? Time (and an upgrade to 67 markers!) Will Tell

How do I begin?

Awhile back, perhaps in 2007, I discovered an exact 25-marker match on my "Ancestral Origins" page at FTDNA with a man who listed "England" as his place of origin. Since I had no such match in YSearch (my only exact 25-marker match at that time was with my second cousin Mark), and no such match on my "Y DNA Matches" page, I was puzzled. I emailed FTDNA and inquired about it.

FTDNA responded that they could not reveal who the man was but they could forward an email from me to him, if I wanted to prepare one. To make a long story short, FTDNA sent the man my email, and he answered with an email to me. I discovered that his surname is Beddoes, that he was born in Worcester, England, but that his family was from Shropshire. He was unwilling to upgrade to 37 or 67 markers at that time. Since we have different surnames, I dismissed the whole thing as a fluke that probably wouldn't hold up if upgraded anyway. Under such circumstances, I wasn't willing to pay for Mr. Beddoes' upgrade.

Then just a few months back, in the course of being the admin of the R-P312 and Subclades Project, I came to know (via the internet and email) Dave Stedman, who lives in England. I just happened to mention this whole Beddoes thing to him. Subsequently, Dave was perusing some old English parish records and found a couple that were interesting from Cardeston in Shropshire. The oldest one recorded the marriage, in 1665, of Mary Miles and Reinold Beddo. An entry from 1675 (ten years later) recorded the marriage of William Stephens to Mary Beddoe. It occurred to Dave (and to me when he shared the info with me) that the Mary Miles who married Reinold Beddo in 1665 could be the Mary Beddoe who married William Stephens in 1675. By that time she could have been Reinold Beddo's widow and may have had at least one male child who was Reinold's son. If that son took his stepfather's surname - Stephens - that could explain both my surname (Stevens) and my match with Mr. Beddoes.

Now I could see a reason to spring for Mr. Beddoes' upgrade!

So I did, first to 37 markers. I figured an upgrade from 25 to 37 markers would only cost me 49 bucks. If the thing went south, which is what I expected, I would only be out $49, not the $150 an upgrade from 25 to 67 would cost.

Well, the results came back last month. Mr. Beddoes and I are a 36/37 match. We differ by one at 458, a fast mutator.

Now I am doing the upgrade to 67 markers. I figure if there is any substance to the son-of-Reinold-and-Mary scenario I described above, we will stay within a genetic distance of three at 67 markers. A gd of four would make things very iffy. More than four, in my opinion, undoes the deal.

Anyway, we'll see. Honestly, I feel a little strange about the whole thing. I'm excited on the one hand by the possibility of making a genetic connection across the Pond. But I feel strange to think that my surname might be the result of a young boy in the 17th century taking the surname of his stepfather. Then there is the sobering fact that I can only get my paper trail back to my ggg-grandfather, who was born in West Virginia (part of Virginia back then) in 1804. That leaves a gap of 139 years between the marriage of Reinold and Mary and the birth of my ggg-grandfather, and I have nothing to fill it with!

Maybe the thing will fizzle, and we'll go out to a distance of five or so at 67 markers. We'll see. After all, at 37 markers, Mr. Beddoes also matches a Webb 36/37. At 67 markers I have a 62/67 match with the cousin of that same Webb. The Webb who matches Mr. Beddoes 36/37 matches me 35/37.

So, who knows?

I just ordered the upgrade for Mr. Beddoes Thursday evening, March 12 . . .

Anyway, friends, genetic genealogy does in fact work, but you have to be alert for leads. I am certainly glad that I found out about Family Tree DNA and took advantage of its excellent services. To say I have been well pleased would be a tremendous understatement!

Fantastic lead there Stevo.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. If the match holds up, I should think with some leg work, you might be able to start at the back and work your way forward from the other party's paper trail.

Now the wait begins.............

Comment

Originally posted by rucksack View Post
      Fantastic lead there Stevo.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. If the match holds up, I should think with some leg work, you might be able to start at the back and work your way forward from the other party's paper trail.

Now the wait begins.............
      I'm not sure what to expect, honestly, but thanks for your good wishes.

Comment

This would be quite cool if this panned out, eh? Should be interesting.....

How far are you able to get back on your line? Can you make a link to Europe from this side of the pond?

Good luck Stevo!

Comment

Originally posted by spruithean View Post
          This would be quite cool if this panned out, eh? Should be interesting.....

How far are you able to get back on your line? Can you make a link to Europe from this side of the pond?

Good luck Stevo!
          We'll see.

No, I can only get back to Wheeling, West Virginia (part of Virginia back then), in 1804, when my ggg-grandfather was born there.

Comment

Wiping away the tears.

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
            How do I begin?

Awhile back, perhaps in 2007, I discovered an exact 25-marker match on my "Ancestral Origins" page at FTDNA with a man who listed "England" as his place of origin. Since I had no such match in YSearch (my only exact 25-marker match at that time was with my second cousin Mark), and no such match on my "Y DNA Matches" page, I was puzzled. I emailed FTDNA and inquired about it.

FTDNA responded that they could not reveal who the man was but they could forward an email from me to him, if I wanted to prepare one. To make a long story short, FTDNA sent the man my email, and he answered with an email to me. I discovered that his surname is Beddoes, that he was born in Worcester, England, but that his family was from Shropshire. He was unwilling to upgrade to 37 or 67 markers at that time. Since we have different surnames, I dismissed the whole thing as a fluke that probably wouldn't hold up if upgraded anyway. Under such circumstances, I wasn't willing to pay for Mr. Beddoes' upgrade.

Then just a few months back, in the course of being the admin of the R-P312 and Subclades Project, I came to know (via the internet and email) Dave Stedman, who lives in England. I just happened to mention this whole Beddoes thing to him. Subsequently, Dave was perusing some old English parish records and found a couple that were interesting from Cardeston in Shropshire. The oldest one recorded the marriage, in 1665, of Mary Miles and Reinold Beddo. An entry from 1675 (ten years later) recorded the marriage of William Stephens to Mary Beddoe. It occurred to Dave (and to me when he shared the info with me) that the Mary Miles who married Reinold Beddo in 1665 could be the Mary Beddoe who married William Stephens in 1675. By that time she could have been Reinold Beddo's widow and may have had at least one male child who was Reinold's son. If that son took his stepfather's surname - Stephens - that could explain both my surname (Stevens) and my match with Mr. Beddoes.

Now I could see a reason to spring for Mr. Beddoes' upgrade!

So I did, first to 37 markers. I figured an upgrade from 25 to 37 markers would only cost me 49 bucks. If the thing went south, which is what I expected, I would only be out $49, not the $150 an upgrade from 25 to 67 would cost.

Well, the results came back last month. Mr. Beddoes and I are a 36/37 match. We differ by one at 458, a fast mutator.

Now I am doing the upgrade to 67 markers. I figure if there is any substance to the son-of-Reinold-and-Mary scenario I described above, we will stay within a genetic distance of three at 67 markers. A gd of four would make things very iffy. More than four, in my opinion, undoes the deal.

Anyway, we'll see. Honestly, I feel a little strange about the whole thing. I'm excited on the one hand by the possibility of making a genetic connection across the Pond. But I feel strange to think that my surname might be the result of a young boy in the 17th century taking the surname of his stepfather. Then there is the sobering fact that I can only get my paper trail back to my ggg-grandfather, who was born in West Virginia (part of Virginia back then) in 1804. That leaves a gap of 139 years between the marriage of Reinold and Mary and the birth of my ggg-grandfather, and I have nothing to fill it with!

Maybe the thing will fizzle, and we'll go out to a distance of five or so at 67 markers. We'll see. After all, at 37 markers, Mr. Beddoes also matches a Webb 36/37. At 67 markers I have a 62/67 match with the cousin of that same Webb. The Webb who matches Mr. Beddoes 36/37 matches me 35/37.

So, who knows?

I just ordered the upgrade for Mr. Beddoes Thursday evening, March 12 . . .

Anyway, friends, genetic genealogy does in fact work, but you have to be alert for leads. I am certainly glad that I found out about Family Tree DNA and took advantage of its excellent services. To say I have been well pleased would be a tremendous understatement!
            It's actually an incredible story. But the question arises- what if your surname was supposed to be Beddoes and NOT Stephens. It's actually a profound question with almost infinite permutations. For myself (and you know the background already Stevo) finding my genetic match comes with surname rights. What is just? Changing your surname to its genetic base? Perhaps Beddoes was once Johnson and so on. My genes are my identity, both scientifically and historically, but culturally it is different. But if their had not been a hiccup in my lineage would the cultural outcome been different?

Good day to you Rich Beddoes!

Comment

Rich,

I think you have excellent circumstantial evidence here, between the DNA match and the marriages with these surnames. Congrats!

Do the marriage records not include the names of the bride and groom's parents? With more modern records, that's how I verify that I'm looking at the right person.

Also, since you're having so much trouble tracing back from 1804, why not start tracing Mary's family forward and see where that takes you? Hopefully it'll eventually take you to Wheeling in 1804

Good luck!

Elise

Comment

We'll see.

No, I can only get back to Wheeling, West Virginia (part of Virginia back then), in 1804, when my ggg-grandfather was born there.
                Does your Stevens ancestor state his mother on anything?

Is your Ysearch ID HX9ZF?

It should be interesting to see what happens with this Beddoes match.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaru View Post

It's actually an incredible story. But the question arises- what if your surname was supposed to be Beddoes and NOT Stephens. It's actually a profound question with almost infinite permutations. For myself (and you know the background already Stevo) finding my genetic match comes with surname rights. What is just? Changing your surname to its genetic base? Perhaps Beddoes was once Johnson and so on. My genes are my identity, both scientifically and historically, but culturally it is different. But if their had not been a hiccup in my lineage would the cultural outcome been different?

Good day to you Rich Beddoes!
                  Well, even if I find that I am the descendant of Reinold Beddo, I'm not changing my surname! Too many of my esteemed ancestors have borne this one I have now, and I'll not distance myself from my own father and them by reverting to a surname we lost back in the 17th century.

If I am biologically a Beddoes (and, if I am, my tie goes back to BEFORE it was spelled that way), which we don't know yet, I will note that in my genealogical records and inform the kinfolk, but that's about it.

Oh, and I will plan a trip to Cardeston in Shropshire in England, where I will find a local public house and have at least one beer with the locals.

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                    Rich,

I think you have excellent circumstantial evidence here, between the DNA match and the marriages with these surnames. Congrats!

Do the marriage records not include the names of the bride and groom's parents? With more modern records, that's how I verify that I'm looking at the right person.

Also, since you're having so much trouble tracing back from 1804, why not start tracing Mary's family forward and see where that takes you? Hopefully it'll eventually take you to Wheeling in 1804

Good luck!

Elise
                    That sounds like an excellent idea! Thanks!

Comment

Does your Stevens ancestor state his mother on anything?

Is your Ysearch ID HX9ZF?

It should be interesting to see what happens with this Beddoes match.

Good luck!
                      Yes, my ggg-grandfather Auguston's mother is supposed to have been Amanda Snedeker. It's the name of his father I don't know.

Yes, HX9ZF is my YSearch ID.

Comment

Yes, my ggg-grandfather Auguston's mother is supposed to have been Amanda Snedeker. It's the name of his father I don't know.

Yes, HX9ZF is my YSearch ID.
                        Hmm....

I find it so interesting how our paternal ancestors hit us with a brickwall....

I can only get my line back to about 1798.... in (according to death records of children and census records) Scotland..... Whereas his spouses line is well documented......

Is there anything on early settlers of Wheeling and the surrounding area that might mention Stevens settlers???

Comment

Hmm....

I find it so interesting how our paternal ancestors hit us with a brickwall....

I can only get my line back to about 1798.... in (according to death records of children and census records) Scotland..... Whereas his spouses line is well documented......

Is there anything on early settlers of Wheeling and the surrounding area that might mention Stevens settlers???
                          There are some mentioned, yes, but a few too many, unfortunately.

And there was an extensive Snedeker family (not a common name) up in Brooke County, just north of Wheeling, in the Wellsburg area. There was a Christian Snedeker who was the right age to be Amanda's father, and one of my ggg-grandfather's two brothers was named Christian S. Stevens.

Be glad you can get your line across the Pond. I'd settle for that.

Comment

I made an error in my original post. I said Mr. Beddoes and I differ by one at 458. That was wrong. I was thinking of another close match of mine (Wrann, YSearch JVFBE) who differs from me by one at 458.

Mr. Beddoes and I actually differ by one at CDYa, where I have 38 and he has 37.

Comment

Even tighter.

Comment

Working...
                              X