DNA Match with different surname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA Match with different surname

When I posted my results on y-search - I got a 36 out of 37 match with a member with a different surname. (RCM64) I looked at his family tree, but did nothing. I just didn't get it. I finally got up the nerver to post a request for assistance and fellow forum member MMaddi gave me the advice and information I needed.

I contacted the gentleman by email and he responded the next day. Seems his great grandfather was listed in the 1870 census with his birth name Tim Brook Larkin. In other censuses he was listed as Timbrook or Tenbrook McCarty. Our ancestor in common is John Larkin born 1701/2 in Rhode Island, our 6th great grandfather.

My question is -
    Now that he is a part of my family too, I would like to try to find his great grandfather's father. Would all "Larkin men" of the appropriate age in my database be a candidate for the father? I am not sure if there are boundaries on this since we did not have a perfect match - DYS on my DNA is 12; his is 13.

Thanks - Don Larkin
    ysearch id 9NXJJ

Jones or Powell???

Same song, different verse!

I recently had a woman request to join my Powell Surname project. She had her brother, a Jones, tested to 67 markers with FTDNA.

He matched 2 Powells 67/67. He matched 4 Powells 66/67. He matched 1 Powell 61/67. Most importantly, he had ZERO matches with the Jones group at 12,25,37 and 67 markers.

She was delighted. She had been able to trace her Jones line back to a young boy living with a Powell family on the 1860 census. There were two other Jones boys living in the house.

Her family story said that her Jones ancestor, really a Powell, or one of his brothers had killed a man. The three men took off for Florida where they took the name of Jones which was the maiden name of their mother.

She hasn't been able to document the name of their father, but she now knows that the story was true and she is really a Powell, not a Jones.

Comment

Working...
    X