X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrow Caroon surname group

Hi
    I have to call this a success story!
    5 + years ago I discovered that my family of origin had been in this country since the early to mid 1600s. My Dad knew little, or at least shared little about his family.Dad's Mother was teenager when she had him and his father was unknown to him.Carrow was his grandparents name and they adopted and raised him. He did tell me that they were from North Ireland as he did some research when he was there for a long time during WWII.( his ship was torpedoed off the coast).He also told me that Mitchener's book Chesapeake was accurate about how his family came.

I have done research on the family and concluded that the Carrow family in NC and mine( from Delaware) are the same family.They come to Bermuda by 1650. My John Carrow is in Duck Creek,Kent County DE by 1753, others as early as 1680.

A real Carrow cousin (4th)from Delaware has just matched(12 markers only) with the NC Carrow line.EXACTLY!!

They match Caroon, an affiliated family with a GD of 2.All these families are WAMH and most clearly match their Clan McDonald.Carrow/Carron is said to be a sept of Clan Donald as the original John Caron was a cousin to "The McDonald" in 1641.They may be from LochCarron Scotland.

I cannot even tell you how excited I am!!
    DNA has proved my hypothesis!
    Kathleen

Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow
    A real Carrow cousin (4th)from Delaware has just matched(12 markers only) with the NC Carrow line.EXACTLY!!

They match Caroon, an affiliated family with a GD of 2.All these families are WAMH and most clearly match their Clan McDonald.Carrow/Carron is said to be a sept of Clan Donald as the original John Caron was a cousin to "The McDonald" in 1641.They may be from LochCarron Scotland.

I cannot even tell you how excited I am!!
    DNA has proved my hypothesis!
    Kathleen
    Sounds like a good breakthrough. However, if you're dealing with a WAMH haplotype, you should upgrade all people involved to 37 markers and see how closely they match at that level.

It's not wise to base conclusions on matches at 12 markers, especially when you're dealing with WAMH.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi
      Sounds like a good breakthrough. However, if you're dealing with a WAMH haplotype, you should upgrade all people involved to 37 markers and see how closely they match at that level.

It's not wise to base conclusions on matches at 12 markers, especially when you're dealing with WAMH.
      Well we are doing that of course..the others have already done 37 markers..all spelling variants of the family are WAMH and are close matches also..

The family histories and name are also the same..in US since 1650s..Origin story from Antrim & LocjCarron Scotland..

I do need to learn more about WAMH for sure and have been reading what is posted this week on the Rootsweb list..which has something to do with Campbell clan I think??

All our men who are R1b1c match McDonald..our reputed Clan affiliation exactly
      Up to this test they matched Clan Donald exactly but were not a GD of 0 with each other.

Comment

Matching still

The 2 Carrow men from North Carolina and Delaware are still eaxactly matching at 25 markers..

FTDNA says this:

A Y-DNA25 match has been found between Kit 78376, Donald Carrow, a member of your Carrow Group and another person(s) in the Family Tree DNA database. You and the other person(s) have matched in 23, 24 or 25 loci, which means that there is a 99% likelihood you have a common ancestor

Comment

Matching still

My Carrow 3rd cousin from Delaware and the Carrow from North Carolina continue to match at 37 markers..NOT ONE MUTATION....

We are now busily trying to find the common area where they lived..
          the FYIP now says this: 8 generations is97.28% 12 generations is
          99.55% .. we show them in NC and DE respectively c. 1750..
          The family is in America by 1643 and the last Carrow emigrates in 1678..no more come until 1840... and they clearly are not us..

I am Sooo thrilled..this is THE main reason I started all this..

PLUS..we have a 3rd Faunt match tonight in our rare I1b1 ..one line left Ireland in 1709..my Grandpop's father left Ireland as a child in 1869.

Kathleen

Comment

Real Success Story

Kathleen,

Thanks for sharing. It is nice to have a real success story in this topic!

Comment

Upgrading???

I am still such a novice about DNA... I had my half-brother's DNA (R1b1b2 Haplogroup) done, due to my Dad being adopted and us wanting to prove his lineage up to Canada. I had my own mtDNA done (Haplogroup H), and do not know a thing more than before, and since I recently lost my 91 year old mother, a Carter by birth, and not being able to get her only brother's son tested, I found a 2nd cousin in Texas who agreed to my having his DNA done (Haplogroup H). How do you upgrade? and should I upgrade? Help!

Thanks, Helen

Comment

Originally posted by Hewick3
                I am still such a novice about DNA... I had my half-brother's DNA (R1b1b2 Haplogroup) done, due to my Dad being adopted and us wanting to prove his lineage up to Canada. I had my own mtDNA done (Haplogroup H), and do not know a thing more than before, and since I recently lost my 91 year old mother, a Carter by birth, and not being able to get her only brother's son tested, I found a 2nd cousin in Texas who agreed to my having his DNA done (Haplogroup H). How do you upgrade? and should I upgrade? Help!

Thanks, Helen
                Are you either a Carrow or a Faunt? If not I am not sure what to tell you except this:
                If you go to your personal page you can extend any markers that have been tested by ordering more..
                a second cousin who might also be an "H" would likely not help at all..you need to extend all mitoDNA H possibilities..HVRII and FGS ( full sequence)
                and the R1b1b if it has not been done to 67 markers could be extended in the same way..

Comment

Working...
                X