Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    My Dad was also adopted...

Which started me out in genealogy in 1967, unfortunately one year after my real grandfather had died. I was given by a family member all of my Dad's adoption papers, thank goodness, as the State of Colorado at the time refused to release them to me or my Dad. When my Dad joined the Army Air Corps during WWII, the Dept. of Commerce had to obtain his original birth certificate from Colorado (he was adopted at 12 days of age and finalized 14 months or so later), so he went into the Army with his birth name on the papers, but going by his new adopted name. Now, I am told that due to the Privacy Act, they have to give you your adopted papers??? My Dad was born while his real Dad was away in WWI. We knew he was a french canadian born in Wisconsin (White, originally LeBlanc)... I had my half-brother's DNA done, and we immediately matched to the White (LeBlanc) line in New Brunswick, just as my research had proven. I still have questions as to the birth mother.... It just seems more likely that the family that adopted my Dad, had a daughter who gave birth to him, she was of the right age (19 yrs), and mothered him her entire life, and my younger sister and I were the favorite grandchildren, as was my Dad seemingly being the favorite, and he was the 4th child, and adopted on top of that! Is there anyway to prove that??? I have had my mtDNA done also, does anyone have any ideas?

Helen

Leave a comment:

• Yaffa
    replied
    Originally posted by Cats
    Seems as if the courts provided you with the information anyway and with the DNA you are sure. Sounds as if you are mad at your grandmother but I find it hard to understand why you would publically out her except to hurt her. Must have beeen tough to live in a time when there were no birth control pills, other reliable birth control options.
    We don't ask to be given life. Others do that for us then don't take responsiblity for that life. Dump it off on someone else and send these children off with lies. Us adoptees have to live with those lies. Her whole family is mad at her for all her lies. As they say we are resposinble for our own actions but when your adopted we have to live with the actions of someone else not our own. Adoption laws are there to protect birth mothers and their lies not to protect the children they have sent off with lies. Most of our records are sealed. We get no medical history or who are blood relatives are. I was told I was Jewish. Because of this, when I was pregnant with my son I had to under go all this genetic testing for known Middle Eastern diseases. Form this testing there was a chance I could have lost ( died ) my unborn child. No I am not of Jewish bloodline but Native American. A whole diffrent set of genetic diseases. My feeling is, If you cant take care of them, don't have them. Even no birth control is no excuse. It's people with your attatude of not understanding adoption making excuses for the " Poor " birth mother that keeps us adoptee's from opening our sealed records. I am one of the lucky ones to have gotten my records but most can not and have not. You would be surprised how many adoptees have tested with FTDNA just trying to find some truth to their true identity.

Leave a comment:

• Cats
    replied
    Seems as if the courts provided you with the information anyway and with the DNA you are sure. Sounds as if you are mad at your grandmother but I find it hard to understand why you would publically out her except to hurt her. Must have beeen tough to live in a time when there were no birth control pills, other reliable birth control options.

Leave a comment:

• Yaffa
    replied
    We have the right woman

Originally posted by purple flowers
    gosh here is something to think about...you know way back sometimes daughters got pregnant had kids and were wisked away to private births. you might want to consider that it wasn't your grandmother but one of her daughters or sisters using the grandmothers name .
    and so what if she is covering up for her daughter or nieces even, this person may not be able to admit it publicly or is dead maybe.
    good news is you have the right family unit.. but you may or may not have the right individual yet.
    your grandma may have been adopting out her grandkids or neices or nephews , not her own kids.. just something to think about .
    We have the right woman! She gave up more than one and family knows who grandma's boyfriends and husbands were. There is a lot more to the story but I cant post the info publicly. We have the adoption paper info with what actually went on in court during the adoption.
    Last edited by Yaffa; 13 August 2008, 12:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• purple flowers
    replied
    Originally posted by Yaffa
    Yes my mother gave me up and my mother was also given up by her mother ( my grandmother ). My Grandmother gave up more than one child for adoption and I found my aunt ( mom's sister ) posting on ancestry. It has been stated that my Grandmother gave up more than 2 children but have not found proof. My Uncle, grandma's brother,was kind enough to give me his MT-DNA. My grandmother I guess in is denial that she gave any children away. We know she kept 7 and gave up at least 2
    gosh here is something to think about...you know way back sometimes daughters got pregnant had kids and were wisked away to private births. you might want to consider that it wasn't your grandmother but one of her daughters or sisters using the grandmothers name .
    and so what if she is covering up for her daughter or nieces even, this person may not be able to admit it publicly or is dead maybe.
    good news is you have the right family unit.. but you may or may not have the right individual yet.
    your grandma may have been adopting out her grandkids or neices or nephews , not her own kids.. just something to think about .

Leave a comment:

• Yaffa
    replied
    adoption

Originally posted by penguin
    hi. i'm not sure I have the relationships straight - you were adopted and your biological mother was adopted as well? By "grandmother' you mean your biological mother's biological mother? interesting that she denied giving birth- what was the reason for that? since no father was listed, I guess it was that she was trying to hide? how did you find her? I guess you somehow got hold of your biological mother's adopton papers?
    Yes my mother gave me up and my mother was also given up by her mother ( my grandmother ). My Grandmother gave up more than one child for adoption and I found my aunt ( mom's sister ) posting on ancestry. It has been stated that my Grandmother gave up more than 2 children but have not found proof. My Uncle, grandma's brother,was kind enough to give me his MT-DNA. My grandmother I guess in is denial that she gave any children away. We know she kept 7 and gave up at least 2

Leave a comment:

• jr76x
    replied
    Originally posted by Yaffa
    Got through 2 adoptions. Prove my dad in my adoption with X-STR Test and now proved my biological mother's adoption. Grandma's brother and I match MT-DNA. Grandma swore she didnt't give birth to my biological mother and that someone falsely used her name on my mothers adoption.

Jodi

Haplogroup B / mitosearch XKBS6

Uncle - match

Haplogroup B / mitosearch DUJD5

Congratualtions!! It's unfortunate there are crazy LIARS in people's families, but the DNA proves it!

Leave a comment:

• penguin
    replied
    hi. i'm not sure I have the relationships straight - you were adopted and your biological mother was adopted as well? By "grandmother' you mean your biological mother's biological mother? interesting that she denied giving birth- what was the reason for that? since no father was listed, I guess it was that she was trying to hide? how did you find her? I guess you somehow got hold of your biological mother's adopton papers?

Leave a comment:

• Yaffa
    replied
    I didn't post her name but I will now!!!

Tom,

I left off Grandma's name so I will add it now and I hope she reads this.
    Hazel Odessa Hood born in 1930 Sontag VA. Daughter of Flossie Tedder of Wilkes NC and Alfred David Hood of Burke/Calwell NC.Childs birth name that she gave up for adoption Caroline Sue Hood with no father b. 1949 in Welch WV. Now I have posted her info.

Jodi

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Used her name and her mitochondrial DNA too? Tsk, tsk.

Leave a comment:

• Yaffa
    started a topic MT-DNA Match Adoption

MT-DNA Match Adoption

Got through 2 adoptions. Prove my dad in my adoption with X-STR Test and now proved my biological mother's adoption. Grandma's brother and I match MT-DNA. Grandma swore she didnt't give birth to my biological mother and that someone falsely used her name on my mothers adoption.

Jodi

Haplogroup B / mitosearch XKBS6

Uncle - match

Haplogroup B / mitosearch DUJD5
Working...
X