Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you have a famous or historical ancestor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you have a famous or historical ancestor?

We have been contacted by a journalist who is developing a series of features for a magazine. The journalist is interested in contacting individuals who are connected to a historical figure. If you have an interesting or unusual family story related to this topic, especially if genetic genealogy helped you learn more about this connection, and would like to be contacted by this journalist please email [email protected] with your information.

All our ancestors are historical figures

I am simply amazed at the lives I uncover when I try to find out where I come from. Regardless of which false trail I wandered into, they all had stories tom tell. They were all survivors, to have gotten as far as being our ancestors after the tough millenia of human evolution!

Comment

Famous-where are you?

Unlike most people I have little interest in the Famous/Infamous/Royal per say. I wouldn't feel any better if I was related to King Tut himself-though not likely because I have no Egyptian.I'm just glad I can trace the roots I have-everyone wants to know where they come from and how much of this or that they have, because the genes do make the man/woman. Not makes you better,but makes you what you are. But if they run DNA tests on everyone in America and Great Britain, as some scientists propose, to identify criminals faster,then maybe some famous people would show up having the same Dna that we have ,and then you could say we're connected to someone notorious.

Comment

My dad's from a Finnish family that is partly responsible for the United States thing.

http://helsinki.usembassy.gov/events...mpi_photos.htm

Comment

Er . . . Eve? (ok, never mind) (n/t)

The journalist is interested in contacting individuals who are connected to a historical figure.

Comment

Answer

Yes I am. No you may not. I am descended from the same "famous people" that literally millions of other people are, the Plantagenet and Saxon kings of England.

Comment

Then there are the possible evil and rotten ancestors. For example, there were several outlaw gangs in the 1800s that were identified by their family name. I forget some of them; Younger, Kitchen, Curtain, Carpenter, and so on. I see all of those names when I look at the surnames people give in their lists that accompany their matches on FF, ha ha.

Comment

I think genealogy is more about the stories of the ordinary people than an association with famous person.

I researched an ancestor of mine who had a small act of valour in Crimean war, when he came back after the war the Coldstream Guards discharged him as being too small to serve, strange that he had been tall enough to fight. In an attempt to find work he loaded his belongings on a handcart and with his family walked from Norwich to Durham
                Last edited by Pincera; 12 August 2013, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pincera View Post
                  . . . I researched an ancestor of mine who had a small act of valour in Crimean war, when he came back after the war the Coldstream Guards discharged him as being too small to serve, strange that he had been tall enough to fight. . .
                  "We don't want any malingerers on the public dole, so any applicants incapable of fully meeting the physical fitness criteria (regardless of injuries sustained in prior service) for recruitment will unceremoniously be shown the door."

Sounds like an old Peter Cooke sketch. Government must have been trying to save money on pensions. They probably cut him loose because they didn't need any 1-legged men.

http://youtu.be/dFoagC5yGY0

That's the way we roll in the USA, anyhow.

Comment

After the Crimea the British Army was over manned they simply used any excuse to reduce the number of soldiers.

Comment

Speaking of banks robbers

I am related to Clyde Barrow and Jesse James. I have evidence that I also am related to James Joyce, but I can't quote prove that one yet, especially since the Population finder doesn't show Irish Populations.

sorry for the typo in the topic message :{ as well!
                      Last edited by DavdJ; 12 September 2013, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DavdJ View Post
                        I am related to Clyde Barrow and Jesse James. I have evidence that I also am related to James Joyce, but I can't quote prove that one yet, especially since the Population finder doesn't show Irish Populations.

sorry for the typo in the topic message :{ as well!
                        Yeah, I've seen two of those names (surnames James & Joyce) on Ancestry while looking for ancestors. They were side-liners, as I recall. On second thought, maybe they are among my FF matches or surname lists on FF. There was a Colonel Joyce as commanding officer of the U.S. Army Hospital in Augsburg, Germany when I was stationed there (1971-75).
                        Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 12 September 2013, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Famous Relative

My wife and I were watching the TV program "Who Do You Think You Are" where they were searching the ancestors of the model, Cindy Crawford. In the pedigree they were showing for her, I noticed one of her ancestors was a Ruth Gates. From that connection, they also discovered Cindy was related to the author, Ernest Hemmingway.

Just for giggles I thought I would see if I was also related to Ruth (since Gates is my surname). Sure enough, I was able to determine Ruth was my third cousin, six times removed. So by inference, I am related to Cindy and Ernest Hemmingway, but I have no idea how. It is such a remote kinship I figure I am, genetically, no more related to them than a complete stranger.

Jim Gates

Comment

I come from a long and illustrious line of farmers and fishermen. After they gave up farming and fishing they became miners and labourers.

I am descended from the original purchasers of Nantucket... like thousands and thousands of others.

Comment

Daniel Boone and General Daniel Morgan. They are indirectly connected to each other. And it looks like I am connected to them indirectly via two separate maternal lines; Puckett-Linville (which I already knew), and now my direct maternal line at Elizabeth Townsend back there on Long Island in colonial times. Elizabeth was only indirectly connected to them. But it looks like they were all one big happy family back there in the olden days.

Comment

Working...
                              X