Match Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match Found

About two months ago I used FTDNA’s bulk mail to send a message to the members of one of my projects. One man replied that he had ordered a kit over a year ago and had not received it and that he was still interested. I contacted FTDNA and they sent him a replacement kit.

When FTDNA received his kit for processing I asked him to provide some information on his paternal line so I could add it to our web page. All he was able to provide was the name of his father along with dates of birth and death. I did a little census research for him and had a possible paternal line but there was at least one generation that I wasn’t sure of.

When his first 12 markers came in he have two 12/12 matches with matching surnames. When the second panel was reported he still matched these two men but now it was a 25/25 match. When we compared the line I had built form him with that of one of his matches we found that they shared a paternal great grandfather. He now has a new second cousin and has his paternal line back to his 3rd great grandfather. We are still waiting for the next panel to be reported.

This is good news for all involved Thanks for sharing, Jim.

Bob

Comment

Still Matching

A few days ago I mentioned that we had 2 fifth cousins who matched 25/25. Additional markers have come in and now they match 37/37. They also match 36/37 with another member of the project. The common ancestor for this additional person is two generation on back.

I have confirmed with one of these members that they didn't know each other before they got their results from FTDNA

Don't you love it when it works!

Comment

Here is a relationship chart for distant cousins.

http://users.eastlink.ca/~dfaith/chartpage5.html

Comment

I love good news like the stuff in this thread.

It is amazing how dna works. I never knew my second cousin (once removed) Mark until he popped up as an exact 12/12 match on my FTDNA homepage.

Comment

Here is one more Stevo..

In our group, there are several variations of the surname.

One of the surnames is an early New England high class family, came here in 1638. Well educated and influential, their name rarely was found spelled wrong.

A few of the descendants headed westward in the early 1800's, stopped over for a few years in southern Illinois.

A lady who had been searching for a connection to anyone in that area for over 10 years..her husbands name is considerably shortened from these other ones from the Boston region, who never allowed the alteration of the surname.

I enticed her to try the DNA out, and she has a 36/37 match with her son and two of our other guys known to be from this branch.

She is elated, to say the least, but best of all..that lineage has already been researched well, and the male line goes back to France (Normans) in the mid 1000's with Duke William. The maternal line goes back to King Edward II

She understands she may never pin-point the actual father of the known ancestor, but she knows who the grandfather was..the problem was, this took place in the 1830s and 1840s...4 different sons that had sons during this time. By 1850, the ancestor that was her brick wall was out of the nest, and nowhere to be found until 1860 when he showed up in the Midwest.

Comment

"Genealogy Without Documentation is Mythology"

Originally posted by Bovon
              "Genealogy Without Documentation is Mythology"
              And a lot of "documented" genealogy is mythology, which is where DNA comes in!

Comment

Working...
              X