Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Success!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Success!!!

    Just after Christmas, an exact 12-marker match with a man with my surname appeared on my FTDNA personal page. I got a little excited but then calmed myself through the realization that it was only a 12-marker match and my surname (Stevens) is relatively common. I attempted to contact the man via email and, through the auspices of FTDNA, by snail mail. Since I didn't get a response from him, I gave up. To say I was disappointed is putting it very mildly.

    Well, last night, St. Patrick's Day evening, I decided to give it one last try. I sent the man another email, this time attaching a link to my YSearch GEDCOM.

    Lo and behold, I got an answer this morning!

    As it turns out, this man's grandfather was the younger brother of my great-grandfather!!!

    Hallelujah!!!

    My great-grandfather was nearly 19 years older than his grandfather (even though they were brothers), so my match is only four years older than me, despite the difference of one generation.

    Anyway, I am overjoyed. After reading his email, I was able to find my match in my family book. I am hoping he will keep in touch.

    I am also hoping he will create a YSearch entry (I asked him to ) and consider upgrading to more markers.

    Thanks, God, and thank you, FTDNA!

  • #2
    Congrats Stevo.. that's what it's all about.

    Comment


    • #3
      GREAT STEVO.......................

      Your markers will all match if you upgrade to a 37 point test.

      When you find your family, ALL the tests will match (Y-Dna).

      Stevo,
      Lets us hear more from you...

      We need some more "brains" on this site.

      D

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Stevo
        ...As it turns out, this man's grandfather was the younger brother of my great-grandfather!!!

        Hallelujah!!!

        My great-grandfather was nearly 19 years older than his grandfather (even though they were brothers), so my match is only four years older than me, despite the difference of one generation.
        Congratulations. So he is your first cousin once removed (1C1R). His children would be your second cousins and their children would be your second cousins once removed in the ascendency.

        Did he say why it took him so long to get in touch? I remember you tried everything but smoke signals.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by R2-D2
          Congratulations. So he is your first cousin once removed (1C1R). His children would be your second cousins and their children would be your second cousins once removed in the ascendency.

          Did he say why it took him so long to get in touch? I remember you tried everything but smoke signals.
          My bad. I read your message wrong. He's your 2C1R. His kids would be your third cousins and their kids would be third cousins once removed in the ascendency. Relationship chart.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks, everyone.

            My cousin Mark (that's how I will refer to him - it's easier than 2C1R) has emailed me several times. He is interested in the info on the family that I have unearthed. I am hoping he will upgrade and create a YSearch entry.

            I am more than happy to be able to offer a testimonial on behalf of the effectiveness of dna testing, genetic genealogy, and Family Tree DNA.

            Needless to say, I am pretty excited about all this.
            Last edited by Stevo; 19 March 2007, 06:21 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Congratulations

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Stevo
                As it turns out, this man's grandfather was the younger brother of my great-grandfather!!!

                Hallelujah!!!
                Praise the Lord!

                So what next, will you two go on fishing trips together to catch up?

                Noaide

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thats great news/results for you Stevo, and you cousin Mark.

                  With time and patience, we hope to join you in your success and find our elusive relatives.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by darroll
                    GREAT STEVO.......................

                    Your markers will all match if you upgrade to a 37 point test.

                    When you find your family, ALL the tests will match (Y-Dna).

                    D
                    Not necessarily.

                    Congrats, Stevo

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Noaide
                      Praise the Lord!

                      So what next, will you two go on fishing trips together to catch up?

                      Noaide

                      Hey! That's a great suggestion!

                      I hope so.

                      Thanks!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I enjoy reading things as a literal interpretation of what is written. Taken out of context of your thread, I was amused with this sentence....

                        My great-grandfather was nearly 19 years older than his grandfather (even though they were brothers), so my match is only four years older than me, despite the difference of one generation.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FredSpringer
                          I enjoy reading things as a literal interpretation of what is written. Taken out of context of your thread, I was amused with this sentence....

                          My great-grandfather was nearly 19 years older than his grandfather (even though they were brothers), so my match is only four years older than me, despite the difference of one generation.
                          That is why sentences should not be lifted out of context. The pronoun his very obviously refers to my second cousin, once removed, and not to my great-grandfather, who obviously could not be nearly 19 years older than, nor the brother of, his own grandfather .

                          On the other hand, now that you point it out, that was a funny sentence!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Stevo
                            That is why sentences should not be lifted out of context. The pronoun his very obviously refers to my second cousin, once removed, and not to my great-grandfather, who obviously could not be nearly 19 years older than, nor the brother of, his own grandfather .
                            If you great-grandfather had a younger brother, and that younger brother married his own grandmother, then your great-grandfather COULD be older than, and the brother of, his own grandfather. Not biologically, but still . . . .

                            I seem to remember a word puzzle from my childhood that involved a scenario of this kind.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              My newly-discovered second cousin (once removed) and I are continuing to communicate by email. I am hoping he will upgrade to more markers soon.

                              In addition, I recently contacted another y-line second cousin (his grandfather and mine were brothers). We are supposed to meet (for the first time) for lunch at his place on April 14th.

                              I'm hoping he'll want to have his y-dna tested, as well.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X