Found Family with Low Resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found Family with Low Resolution

I had sent off my Mtdna for a birthday gift to myself. I had been working on the family tree and was hearing rumors that my 3rd great grandmother was probably indian, or jewish or adopted... so I decided to get the test to see what the real deal was my curiosity was killing me.... Lo and behold.. the test came back earlier than expected and not only showed that I wasn't indian, or probably Jewish, (at least as far as my maternal line was concerned), but I had four low-res matches. One of those had a pedigree posted. It matched mine. We also had an exact match on the HVR1- 16312g, 16519c Haplo H. She didn't have the HRV 2, and mine showed no mutations on the Hvr2, I guess that's why it's low res? Anyway, within a week or so I had a picture of my 3rd greatgrandmother and 3rd great Uncle. We share a common Grandmother, but our grandfathers were brothers. My GGG Grandfather was killed during the civil war and his brother had promised him he would come back and take care of his wife and children. They married and obviously, had more children. She is the grandaughter of the younger brother.

Now if only I had a male relative to test for my father's side. This is pretty interesting stuff!

Congratulations. That is wonderful. I keep hoping someone connected to me will test. I will just keep waiting!

Comment

Great news and thanks for sharing your story!

It does show that DNA genealogy works.

Don't worry kaybee930, this type of research is just catching on so there is alot of new information coming in all of the time. (It's just the waiting that is annoying.)

Comment

Always good to hear of a success!

Low Res mtDNA matches are matches based on HVR 1 only, but as you have no HVR 2 mutations it is somewhat likely your rediscovered relative also has no HVR 2 mutations. So, it's all the 'Res' needed!

Comment

Kelly, it seems hard to find a person without the transition at 263 in HVS2; that's an individual trait of the CRS haplotype. More likely, you just haven't ordered the HVS2 test.

Regarding the Hs with 312. In my database of the published sequences at least 14 samples have either 312 or 051-312 haplotype, almost all confirmed by checking for 7025AluI, and neither has HVS2 sequenced. Geographically they are spread from France (only 1 sample) to SE Europe where the frequency reaches its maximum. So, the remote connection between such types is more likely than the recent one.

Valery
          Last edited by vraatyah; 27 December 2006, 10:06 AM.

Comment

NO HVR2??? You're right!

My bad...You're right. The way the results were displayed, it showed the HVR2 with no marks, so I thought that meant there were no mutations.

I ordered the refine test when I recieved the results giving the H haplogroup. I don't know if that does the HVR2 or what. I am not a expert in this stuff as you can probably tell. But, I am happy with the immediate result of having found my cousins. I have been reunited with cousins that I have seen since I was a small child.
            All's Well That Ends Well...

Comment

That is awesome. I got the HVR2 thing confused too. I have a few HVR1 matches, but I don't know enough on my maternal line for a match. I'm saving up to get the Refine test.
              Your story wants me to get the test even more.

Comment

Happy for you!

Kelly.

I know that this thread is old but... So happy for you that you found family!

Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Maria_W
                  Kelly.

I know that this thread is old but... So happy for you that you found family!

Maria
                  It's pretty cool! I have all kinds of old family photos now, that I desperately wanted and all kinds of info. Turns out that I now live where they settled as pioneers. It's also kind of sad. I had a great great uncle die in the town I live in right after I moved here and didn't even know he was here. My parents could have been a lot better about letting us kids know about our family. I am trying to document all this stuff for my kids (who could care less right now), so they have all the info at their fingertips if they ever want to know where they came from. The family stories that have been published, photos and locations of cabins and graves.. Some day I think they will be greatful that I took the trouble to do this for them. If not them, then maybe my grandchildren.

Kelly

Comment

Working...
                  X