Broke Through a Genealogical Brick Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke Through a Genealogical Brick Wall

Back in July of 2018 I got a small (9 cMs) match at Ancestry DNA with a man with my surname who has a solid paper trail to two people whom I suspected are my fifth great grandparents. I was thrilled. I sent him several messages in July and August asking him to have his y-dna tested with Family Tree DNA, but I never got an answer. Needless to say, I was heartbroken. Then, in November of that same year, I was looking at that match again at Ancestry and decided to give messaging him one more try. This time, however, I prayed first and asked God for help. Miraculously, within a couple of days, the man answered and agreed to order a Y-111 test and pay for it himself, even though I had offered to pay for a Y-37 test! THANK YOU, GOD!

On 04 Jan 2019, his Y-111 results came in, and he matches me 110/111! Not only that, but he also ordered a Family Finder test and matches me on 31 cMs with a longest block of 16 cMs! He shares matches with me to my dad, my youngest son, and a number of my other paternal line matches. I could sense his own amazement at the results, which he proved by upgrading to the Big Y-700. Needless to say, this man is also a Big Y-700 match for me.

Thanks to God and to Family Tree DNA, I now have confirmation of the identity of my fifth great grandparents, both of whom were born about 1750, one, Augustine Stevens, in Maryland, and the other, Sophia Young, in England.

Congratulations!

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Comment

So happy for your success. I have also discovered biological family, closest matches so far, niece & great nephew. Not bad for an adoptee who knew nothing in 2009.

Best regards, Doug
        Kit#122883

Comment

Originally posted by DWFlineage View Post
          So happy for your success. I have also discovered biological family, closest matches so far, niece & great nephew. Not bad for an adoptee who knew nothing in 2009.

Best regards, Doug
          Kit#122883
          Great work! Congratulations! DNA testing is pretty amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post

Great work! Congratulations! DNA testing is pretty amazing.
            Yes it is together with an accurate family tree.

Comment

DNA can be what keeps or makes the family tree accurate.

Comment

Working...
              X