Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Took Y-DNA amd mtDNA: One result was expected, the other, a surprise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took Y-DNA amd mtDNA: One result was expected, the other, a surprise!

About a year and a half ago, I participated in a thread here by Rhonda Hatton on the subject of Iberian and Mexican genetics. At the time, I had only taken the Family Finder test, but being a New Mexico Hispano, I joined in on the conversation and shared my ethnic breakdown according to My Origins. Biblioteque shared some good information about mtDNA haplogroups in the Hispanic population, so now I'm shareing my results here with the forum.

My Y-DNA test(37) was what I expected. My father's surname is probably the most common name in all of New Mexico and there has been a lot of research done on this family. Just as I expected, my haplogroup is R-M269. It goes back to my earliest known paternal ancestor, Hernan Martin Serrano I. He was the father of Hernan Martin Serrano II, who was a sergeant in the army of conquistador Juan de Onate, who came to New Mexico in 1598. I have 65 matches at the 37 level and have so far traced one of my matches to my paternal grandfather.

The surprise came on my mtDNA test. Based on other results and studies, I knew there was a high probability of my mtDNA results being Native, and they are; but what I've discovered in the process of researching these results is pretty surprising to me. My mtDNA haplogroup is B2f. Thanks to Biblioteque for leading me to a Roberta Estes article, I found out that this haplogroup can be found in Mexico. I have 9 matches at the 'HVR1, HVR2, Coding Regions' option.

The earliest known ancestor that any of my matches listed was someone named Giltomey, born around 1713. I had never heard of that name, and I am familiar with all of the early Spanish New Mexico surnames. I researched the name and it turns out that it is from the Philippine Islands! A man named Jose Manuel Giltomey, born in the Philippines in 1666, ended up in New Mexico sometime prior to 1697. I'm assuming he came to New Mexico as part for the resettlement of New Mexico after the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. As part of the resettlement efforts, Spain not only wanted to bring back the 1598 families, but also recruited new settlers from the interior of what is now Mexcio. Among those new settlers was the couple of Juan Bautista de Olivas and Magdalena Juarez, both from Sombretete, Zacatecas and both listed as mestizos. They had five daughters, and one of them, named Isabel de Olivas, married Jose Manuel Gilomey in 1697 in New Mexico.

I contacted the person in charge of the kit containing the Giltomey name, and she told me that one of her other matches also went back to the Giltomey-Olivas line. She was very helpful and sent me some more information on the Magdalena Juarez line, showing that she came from Native ancestors. On my end of it, I am almost certain that my 6th great grandmother was the granddaughter of Isabel Olivas and Jose Manuel Giltomey. Their daughter, Antonia Efigenia Giltomey, married a Lopez, and I believe my 6th great grandmother, Ana Maria Lopez, was their daughter.

So I consider this a success story because I found out where my Native maternal line comes from and I have names from almost 400 years ago to go along with with it, plus I found a new family line that goes back to the Philippines that I didn't know about previously.
    Last edited by Tomero; 31 May 2020, 03:47 PM.
Working...
X