Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Chromo Solved a 100-year-old Adoption Mystery

https://www.legacytree.com/blog/x-ch...option-mystery

This is just one example of a success story. Hopefully, some tidbit of info contained herein will be helpful in your quest and just wanted to share.

And, yes, the blog is a commercial one; and he is selling his services.

But, obviously, some of us are advanced enough that we can attempt to solve our own mysteries........
    Last edited by Biblioteque; 12th November 2018, 02:42 PM.

Upon reading this blog again, I am not so sure the writer completely understands recombination, or the randomness of Dna, and maybe one of the points about the X.

Hopefully, one of our X eXperts, John McCoy, Prarielad, KATM, or others will opine.
    Last edited by Biblioteque; 12th November 2018, 05:57 PM.

Comment

The article sounds like it has been greatly simplified for the general public. Many details seem to have been omitted. The conclusion may well be valid, but the reader should not expect to be able to replicate the process for their own genealogical problems without a lot of additional work! Just establishing which matches are maternal or paternal can be a major challenge. The existence of several strong autosomal matches was a big help in this example.

The logical situation in this particular case was that the uncertain parentage had already been narrowed to two possible couples, based on autosomal matching. Only one of those couples provided a path of inheritance that could explain the presence of a strong X match. However, finding the X match at all was fortuitous. For this particular path, the luck of the genetic lottery could well have given the distant cousin an X chromosome that was not a match at all. But once a strong X match was found, it was possible to eliminate all but one of the remaining possibilities.

Comment

I'm glad John McCoy gave a good summation of this blog post. I read it once, but found it confusing, no doubt due to the omitted details that John mentioned. It required too much work for me to understand; perhaps that says more about me than about the writer.

Comment

Working...
        X