New to DNA ...help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to DNA ...help

Hi all, I would like a bit of help please..

Im new to DNA and havnt a clue what it all means,ive been searching my family tree on and off for about 12 months now..i found out quite alot i even traced my dad after no contact for over 28 years.
    i found out that my family name of fox is irish and not scottish as i was told as a young girl.

I keep reading sites that do DNA testing and list all sorts of letters and numbers but just what does it all mean i was told as im dark haired/hazel eyes im of celtic origin is there any truth in this or is it all down to DNA markers? ive read about the seven sisters of eve and how we all originate from these groups but just how do i find out and which is the best test? id be very grateful for any advice /help you could give me to help me on my way id love to know my origins

thanks

If you are female, the only line you are going to be able to follow is through the mitochondrial DNA, which means the line that goes back through your mother, her mother, her mother, her mother, all the way back. You won't find anything out about your father's line. Thru the Genographic Project you can get your mitochondrial DNA tested for $99, probably the best deal.

Comment

Fox is an Irish name.

Black hair, light (blue, hazel) eyes, and pale skin are very common among Irish people.

You need to have your father or brother tested for Y-DNA to determine your paternal ancestry.

Comment

Thru the Genographic Project you can get your mitochondrial DNA tested for $99, probably the best deal.

Hi thanks for the info, ive allready ordered a test kit from the national geographic it should be here soon.

Im going to see my brother about doing a test also..so hopefully ill know something in a few months
        thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by purplemidget
          Thru the Genographic Project you can get your mitochondrial DNA tested for $99, probably the best deal.

Hi thanks for the info, ive allready ordered a test kit from the national geographic it should be here soon.

Im going to see my brother about doing a test also..so hopefully ill know something in a few months
          thanks again
          Just to be clear, Sundodger meant a brother on your biological father's side of your family; not a half-brother from a step-father. I just wanted to make sure you tested the correct brother. You could also test a paternal uncle or paternal grandfather.

Comment

Originally posted by R2-D2
            Just to be clear, Sundodger meant a brother on your biological father's side of your family; not a half-brother from a step-father. I just wanted to make sure you tested the correct brother. You could also test a paternal uncle or paternal grandfather.
            Hi thanks for the reply..would a half brother who has the same dad as me do? as my brother is now reluctant to do the test i dont know why he just said who cares?, so im not going to get any where if a half bro is no good..thanks

Comment

Originally posted by purplemidget
              Hi thanks for the reply..would a half brother who has the same dad as me do? as my brother is now reluctant to do the test i dont know why he just said who cares?, so im not going to get any where if a half bro is no good..thanks
              A half-brother who has the same father as you is fine. You just need a male relative of your biological father - a son, a brother, a nephew, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X