Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatever the outcome, this will still be a success story :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• melissa
    replied
    I'm pretty sure it is. Seems not too long ago I saw an article on their corporatation. We have several 'German' SPRINGER lines of different origins. All in the USA, though, I haven't been successful in getting any European/non-NorthAmerican participants yet (except for our one Swede but we 'knew' him prior to his testing and specifically asked him to test).

Leave a comment:

• PDHOTLEN
    replied
    Springer in Deutschland

When I was stationed in Germany (Cold War era), there was a big, almost monopoly, called Springer Verlag (Press). The name of the mogul at the top was Springer. Maybe that publishing house is still going strong?

U5b2 & R1a1

Leave a comment:

• melissa
    replied
    Hi Kathleen! My SPRINGERs are actually doing really well, we have about 20 in the same group my dad is in, of course if we didn't actively go after who we thought might match we wouldn't have most of those. I'm waiting for Dad's L22 now.

DH is another story. I've been waiting for his deep snp for ages, he's in batch 266.

I have some of those with no matches, too, my STANSBURY cousin, and my husband's POORMAN cousin. Poor guys are all alone.

And I haven't gotten any of my lines over the Atlantic. I'm stuck in the colonies. If I could gain about 30 years back, and have a few hundred thousand dollars just for DNA testing I'd work on some of my other lines. RINEHART and DOWLIN would be fun but I couldn't get anyone to test. Ugh, too many to think of now. I barely have enough time to work on SPRINGER.

take care

melissa

Leave a comment:

• Kathleen Carrow
    replied
    Originally posted by melissa
    Just when I thought we had made progress....

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames....1021.2/mb.ashx

Melissa
    Of course you have made progress... despite what folks who do not fit into the slot they thought they were in have to say..

My Carrow family testers did not have any idea what would come up but were ready and willing..the NC and the DE line matched 37/37 after 350 years in America..but we do not match any Carews or Caroons despite early rumors..

My Faunt family (1st Cousin) and two men who spell it Fant and were in the US c 1674 while my guys were still shoeing horses on the Tipperary/Limerick border also match in their Sardinian I1b1b..but two others who share our somewhat mythical family tale of Norman French origin do not.. and I know that is a blow..but my great great GF was born in the same small walled Norman built town they had lived in or near since 1308.

My Dugan line ( Married my Faunt) has NO Matches..as a matter of fact there are 12 Dugans and only two match each other..my own cousin does not match another Dugan from the same small land locked area of Donegal..

Go figure..

But ALL of this sheds some light on the family..we just need to continue to sift it and re-arrange it..
    Don't be discouraged in any way!

Leave a comment:

• melissa
    replied
    Just when I thought we had made progress....

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames....1021.2/mb.ashx

Leave a comment:

• melissa
    replied
    This morning I woke up to find I have a whole lot of new cousins.. I mean, a WHOLE LOT of cousins that I wasn't sure I had before.

The kit I was waiting on has had it's 12 markers posted, and it's not shown as an R1b with hundreds of 12 marker matches. No... it's shown as an I1a, with less than 15 matches, and 7 of those are in our project.

The line of this new testee is very well documented back to... hmmm... the oldest known ancestor was b.c1712, but I can't say how well documented that is if the parentage is not proven. BUT, there are documented thousands of descendents, so I have THOUSANDS of new cousins!!

Now I just wish there was a way to 'correct' all those erroneous trees on Ancestry... ARGH! They took away the POST-IT notes!! But I do think this gives more credibility to the belief that 'Jacob Springer and his wife, Pheobe Hiobe' were completely made up by Moses Springer in the 1800s, as Jacob and Pheobe were the ones so many Springers used to make the connection between their lines and the line of Christopher Springer of Sweden and his son Charles of DE. Dear dear Charles, who DOES have MANY descendents, too, but Charles was an R1b YAAY!!

This means that there is still a very good chance that our I1a's do indeed descend from Dennis Springer d.c1703 m.c1667 Mary Hudson, in CT and had sons Dennis, John and Benjamin. I think Dennis and Mary were Quakers. That's another point that always had bugged me.. Swedes are very Lutheran generally, NOT Quaker, and Charles of DE was Lutheran, and my early line was Quaker. And none of the main given names matched.. No Christophers or Peters in my line, and no Dennises or Hudsons in the Charles of DE line (LOL, the REAL line).

Anyway, I have proved that Dennis b.1712 in NJ is NOT related to Charles b.Sweden, moved to Delaware in the 1660s. Now I have to try and find someone, something, ANYthing, that can possibly help make that connection between the 8 of us, all I1a matches, and Dennis Springer d.c1703 and his wife, Mary Hudson, that delightful couple who were born in Ireland or England, sailed to America, met, and married in CT, had sons John, Dennis and Benjamin.

I know that as a project co-admin I shouldn't 'presume' such things.. but I can't help it. I have visions of these sons going from CT, to LI, to NJ.. who stayed. Who went to SC. And no paper trail to connect any of us except for two sets of two men each who can show documentation.

For a long time I've had a story about my Benjamin, father of my Samuel b.1789. All that we really know about Ben is found in the guardianship papers for Sam dated 1803. Samuel was only 14ish in 1803, so I doubt Ben was very old then. So we needed to 'fill in some life stories'. Argh, I was sure ol' Ben be a pirate, but then I discovered he had relatives who went and died in Tripoli around that time, so maybe Ben did too, but the ships' crews aren't that well documented so I'll never know. He could have been a whaler, NJ men were often seafaring gents of some sort. Whatever he was, he died young, probably with seaspray on his face and a ship's wheel in his hands... or a plow. I'm just not sure.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If nothing else I guess this teaches patience!!

Leave a comment:

• melissa
    replied
    This 12 marker kit has been in quality control for a week now... any day! Do any of you ever have the feeling that you are the only one in your surname project that gets excited over ANY new results? Let alone the ones you think are earth-shattering??

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by GvdM
    That is good

My wife accuses me of having constipation of the brain and diarrhea of the mouth...
    I suffer from those same maladies.

Leave a comment:

• GvdM
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevo
    It's chronic diarrhea of the keyboard.
    That is good

My wife accuses me of having constipation of the brain and diarrhea of the mouth...

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by melissa
    Stevo, only 2,035 posts?? You'd better get busy.
    It's chronic diarrhea of the keyboard.

I subscribe to the shotgun theory of posting: if I fire off enough pellets, surely some of them will hit the target.

In the meantime, there are a lot of misses.

Leave a comment:

• melissa
    replied
    Stevo, only 2,035 posts?? You'd better get busy.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    I found it fascinating, too.

I look forward to an update.

Leave a comment:

• Kathleen Carrow
    replied
    Very interesting and I will stay tuned.

Leave a comment:

• melissa
    replied
    And I should have made it even longer LOL. We have 'proven' the line of Christopher of Sweden. A long time Swedish Springer researcher got one of his cousins to test, I found a 'proven' descendent of Christopher's son, Charles of DE, and he tested, and wow but if we didn't have a match with someone who had already tested who could only get back to the mid 1800s in PA with ties to MD. So now we have two good matches at 37, all 3 are exact matches at 25 (one of them is only out to 25 at the moment)... two are currently waiting for markers out to 67 and one is waiting for an SNP panel. And even though the Swedish gentleman has a different surname, he was said to be a descendent of Christopher even before genetic DNA testing came along for the masses. If he is a good match at 67 with the documented descendent of Charles of DE, I think I will have finally proven my point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X