Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevo
    replied
    I have been on Gedmatch for quite awhile, although I don't use it that often.

Leave a comment:

• RobertaMarques
    replied
    My 2 cents

Meanwhile, you guys could upload your results to gedmatch, including the one from 23andme and see if you find more answers there.

Leave a comment:

• Sarmat
    replied
    For what it's worth, Stevo, you and I are also a distant match (34 cM shared over 11 segments), and there's a good deal of Clan Donnachaidh ancestry (Colliers, Duncans, Robertsons, Robinsons, etc.) in my mother's pedigree.

There's a little bit of overlap on the largest of our shared segments with some of my other matches with Clan Donnachaidh ancestral names. I'm not sure that means anything, but there it is.

Despite my own repeated promises never to give FTDNA any more of my money, I will probably end up transferring my mother's 23andme data here and trying to use one of these 'mystery coupons' to reduce the cost of unlocking her matches. I guess we'll see if that reveals anything more.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    You do match my dad, and my dad has a relatively new Duncan match at 97 cM.

We need to communicate via email!

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
    Stevo,

You match my mother, my 1st cousin, and me on FF. I suppose you still don't have any idea whether your Stevens ancestors are descendants of John Stevens ( d. 1707, Abingdon, Gloucester, VA) m. Mary Mumford??? I'm still trying to determine whether their great-great-granddaughter, Nancy Stevens, who married Joseph Duncan in Orange Co., VA in 1772, was the mother of my 3rd great-grandmother, Lucretia Duncan.

What really frustrates me is that none of the matches we share on that segment on chromosome have information posted and they have never answered any emails I have sent them. And one of them is a Duncan!
    I wish I knew, but, sadly, I don't. Let me check and see if my dad matches you. That would be a better indication.

I just ordered Family Finder for my mom tonight to take advantage of the Christmas sale and a $10-off reward.

Leave a comment:

• MoberlyDrake
    replied
    Stevo,

You match my mother, my 1st cousin, and me on FF. I suppose you still don't have any idea whether your Stevens ancestors are descendants of John Stevens ( d. 1707, Abingdon, Gloucester, VA) m. Mary Mumford??? I'm still trying to determine whether their great-great-granddaughter, Nancy Stevens, who married Joseph Duncan in Orange Co., VA in 1772, was the mother of my 3rd great-grandmother, Lucretia Duncan.

What really frustrates me is that none of the matches we share on that segment on chromosome have information posted and they have never answered any emails I have sent them. And one of them is a Duncan!

Leave a comment:

• ChattieKathy
    replied
    It's nice to see a confirmation of circumstantial evidence. I've got a few that are pretty well nothing but that. While I'm willing to look to other possibilities, all roads keep leading back to the same conclusions. I hope that someday I get some proof!

ChattieKathy

Leave a comment:

• LynCra
    replied
    Congratulations Stevo. Two breakthroughs in a few days is really encouraging.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    Thanks!

This is my month for interesting Family Finder stuff.

I was contacted a couple of months ago by a woman who said we have a Family Finder match and are probably related. Honestly, when we couldn't figure out what the relationship was after an email or two, I let it go and didn't think about it much. Apparently it meant more to her, so she kept grappling with it. Finally she noticed that I have the surname Snedeker in my pedigree. That is one she shares with me.

Well, it turns out the FF match is between her mother and my father, and is 54 cM. My father and I match on Family Finder and on y-dna as father and son, but this match does not show up among my FF matches.

My dad and this woman's mom share 4th great grandparents: Christian Snedeker and his wife Aeltje van Arsdale. Christian and Aeltje are the putative parents of Amanda Snedeker, who, first by oral tradition, then documented in the family genealogy, Stevens-Washburn with Related Lines (by my great aunt, Annie Olive Stevens Jones), is said to be the mother of my y-dna mdka, Auguston Stevens. This match of my father's is the 2nd great granddaughter of Anne Snedeker, the daughter of Garret Snedeker, who was our Amanda's brother.

Confusing?

Anyway, this match is significant for me and my family because it is the first glimmer of genetic proof that Amanda Snedeker ever existed. I have never been able to find any record of her beyond the family genealogy I mentioned above. Our family passed down her name, including her maiden surname, but not the name of her husband, the Unknown Stevens. My y-dna mdka, Amanda's son Auguston, was born in Wheeling, Ohio County, West Virginia, in 1804. Brooke County is just north of Wheeling, and that is where Christian Snedeker, his wife Aeltje van Arsdale, and an extensive Snedeker clan lived. One of Auguston's brothers was named Christian S. Stevens, so it seems likely he was named for his maternal grandfather, Christian Snedeker (if in fact Christian Snedeker was his grandfather).

Snedeker is not a common surname, so finding a Christian Snedeker and family in close proximity to the place where my y-dna mdka was born always struck me as significant and some circumstantial evidence of the substance behind the Amanda Snedeker tradition. Now this Family Finder match provides a genetic link to the Snedekers of Brooke County, WV.

Leave a comment:

• RobertaMarques
    replied
    That is truly encouraging!

I have some family that were left in Europe when my great grandparents moved to Brazil and I would love to find them. On another branch I have some people that left Brazil to the US and it would be awesome if I could find their descendants.

Thanks for sharing! It is even more special that your match was adopted, knowing about her family it must have been life changing. May you enjoy your new found family member!

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    started a topic A New Family Finder Success Story

A New Family Finder Success Story

Yesterday I awoke to a big Family Finder match (152 cM) who also matches my dad even more closely (221 cM). I emailed her, and it turns out we are third cousins. Our most recent common ancestors are our mutual second great grandparents, Captain James Holmes Stevens and his wife, Olive Augusta Washburn. That also makes her a second cousin once removed to my dad and to my second cousin (once removed) Mark, whom I found via an exact 37-marker y-dna match. This very nice lady is an Ulmer and descended from Sarah May "Sally" Stevens, born 26 Jan 1879 in Magnolia, Pike, Mississippi, the daughter of Capt. James Holmes Stevens and Olive Augusta Washburn. She is an adoptee and only recently found out who her birth mother was.

Her great grandmother, Sarah May Stevens, married John Ulmer in 1901. He was the son of German immigrants. Sarah May was the sister of my great grandfather, James Holmes Stevens, Jr.

This is the second genetic confirmation of my descent from my second great grandfather, James Holmes Stevens. The first was the exact 37-marker match with my second cousin once removed Mark that I mentioned above. The most recent common ancestor Mark and I share is James Holmes Stevens. He is Mark's great grandfather and my second great grandfather.

Family Finder has definitely been worth the relatively small price I paid for it.
    Last edited by Stevo; 27 November 2014, 06:05 PM.
Working...
X