Hitting the jackpot with new match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting the jackpot with new match

Ah, the excitement of genetic genealogy! There are so many layers, and you never know what you will find each morning when you power up your computer. A new match just popped up, not just any old obscure match, but 452 cMs, with 18 segments. Looks like 1st cousin, 1x removed. You never know what you will find. Just wanted to share.

Originally posted by marietta View Post
    Ah, the excitement of genetic genealogy! There are so many layers, and you never know what you will find each morning when you power up your computer. A new match just popped up, not just any old obscure match, but 452 cMs, with 18 segments. Looks like 1st cousin, 1x removed. You never know what you will find. Just wanted to share.
    Very nice! Best of luck, and remember that 1/2 siblingships are a confounding issue that close in.

Comment

Nice!

I recently had a very close match show up as well. Genetic genealogy really is a wonderful tool but it does take some patience, a bit of luck and a willingness to do a fair amount of work to get the most out of it.

Comment

Yes, and I forgot to mention that in the last month, I have found a first cousin, second cousin and third cousin. Whereas, previously, I had found only one fourth cousin, and rest of my matches were considerably back to time to the early 1600s. My point being, and very important ........Patience. As more and more people test in the future, we will find closer matches.

I opened the tree of one of my matches, yesterday, and we connected on the same MRCAs 5 times - from the early 1600s (or is that really just the population pool)?. Of course, that has to be proven with segments and that takes time. But, just found that interesting

Just wanted to give people hope with my success story.

Comment

That's great! Congratulations. Do you know how you're related?

Comment

Yes, exactly. His profile have 8 surnames and 4 of them were mine, and those 4 are his and my connection. I have a message in to him, but I am almost positive one of his grandparents is a sibling to my father.

Comment

That's a good one, marietta, congrats!

Comment

KATM: And those blazons are blazing! Colorful, creative and clever! I really like.
                Last edited by Biblioteque; 1 February 2014, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Good luck for you!

Happy for you. I hope it will rub off on me!

Comment

Wonderful!!!

Now, when will my turn come? I got the results of my mother's FF test June 30, 2010 and I've been staring at this stuff ever since! I've tested myself and two cousins since. My mother's 2nd-great-grandparents married in Clark Co., KY in 1831. The parents of both are unknown. Although I have other brick walls, these are the two I'd really like to solve, and they are the closest generartion-wise.

What's the trick?

Comment

MoberlyDrake: Just an old fashioned dose of patience. And I was correct, one of his grandmothers is a sister to my father. The excitement of genetic genealogy is that we never know what tomorrow will bring. If we could just get more people to test........

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post

What's the trick?
                        For me there is no one trick, but I seem to find a new piece of the puzzle about every other month. I wrote up what I did and learned last year in this forum. Building my trees down so I know all those 4th and 5th cousins surnames, searching matches for surnames and variants, using ancestry and web resources, building trees for matches, all produce some of the learning.

Comment

Excellent news

I am so happy for your success. This does take patience, been at this for 5 years, and started hitting paydirt a year ago. Best regards, Douglas

Comment

Working...
                          X