uploading Y-DNA46 results from Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uploading Y-DNA46 results from Ancestry

My brother took a Y-DNA 46 test for me at Ancestry, and I'm trying to transfer the results to Family Tree DNA. The problem I have is that the test shows no result for three fields. I checked Ancestry's website to see why this is, and the generic answer is that these fields often don't have a result. I tried leaving these fields blank in FT's upload page, but that doesn't work - I need to enter a number. 0 seems like the only option, but I don't know if 0 is the same as no result. Since I only get one shot at entering the information, I want to get it right. I sent an email to FT, but so far I haven't heard back. Any ideas from others who have transfered results from Ancestry?

Thanks,
    Kathleen

Originally posted by Clareita View Post
    ... Any ideas from others who have transfered results from Ancestry?

Thanks,
    Kathleen
    I have also taken the Ancestry Y-DNA test. However, I do not see a way to download Ancestry's results. All I see is the option to download matches. This gives you a .csv text file. However, it does not give you a data file that you can upload to another Y-DNA service.

To add my Y-DNA profile to FT-DNA's free Ysearch.org website, I used the site's manual data-entry panel. If anyone can show how to get Ancestry's data into a more usable form, then I too will be most grateful.

Comment

Yes, the only way to upload the information from the Ancestry DNA test is to do it manually. I'm happy to do that, I'm just not what sure to do about the fields with no result.

Comment

I can't comment on FT-DNA commercial service because I have not purchased its transfer product. I can, however, comment on FT-DNA's Ysearch.org and its mitoSearch.org free services. Ysearch's manual entry panel has fixed markers. Those without values are left blank. In the case of mitosearch.org, the positions of the HVR1 and HVR2 Mutations and their corresponding mutations are entered by the user. Positions with no data are ignored. Attempts to include positions with no data result in errors.

Comment

Working...
        X