Newcomer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newcomer questions

Hello all. Several years ago I submitted DNA for the Human Genome Project through NG. If I understand correctly, this tests the HV1 region. Recently I decided to upgrade to Family Finder. I'm an adoptee and would like to know more about my ethnic background, as well as possibly meet relatives. My question is would it be helpful to upgrade my MtDNA to include HV2? I can't seem to find a form or number to speak to someone so I know the best tests to order for what I hope to achieve. I don't just want to spend money on things I don't need.
    Any clarification would be appreciated. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on in hopes of better understanding before getting my results, but still have lots of questions.

Right now, through July 15, FTDNA is having a sale on the mtHVR1toMega test. That would cost $209, I believe. You could take the mtRefine test for $85 to get your HVR2. Without knowing what haplogroup you are in and what your HVR1 mutations are, I don't know how valuable either test would be. But if you ordered the Refine test, and later decided to take the Mega test to get both your HVR2 and coding-region mutations, which are necessary to find your subclade designation and your really close matches, that would cost on the next sale $199. You would have, in my opinion, wasted $75. So, please consider taking the mtHVR1toMega test and get all your mutations while the sale is in progress.

Bill Hurst

Comment

I am haplogroup I.

HVR1: 16129A, 16223T, 16304C, 16391A, 16519C

Obviously, the main part of my problem is that I need to read and learn more for better understanding!

Comment

Originally posted by idiganthro View Post
        I am haplogroup I.

HVR1: 16129A, 16223T, 16304C, 16391A, 16519C

Obviously, the main part of my problem is that I need to read and learn more for better understanding!
        Hi again,

I know nothing about haplogroup I, so I still don't know what value the upgrades would have. Do you belong to the Haplogroup I Project?

Bill Hurst

Comment

Not yet... boy, do I feel ignorant!

Comment

I am mtdna haplogroup I2. I have 887 matches at the HVR1 level, and zero at HVR2. Based on my own experience, Family Finder is the most helpful test.

Comment

Originally posted by banshee View Post
              I am mtdna haplogroup I2. I have 887 matches at the HVR1 level, and zero at HVR2. Based on my own experience, Family Finder is the most helpful test.
              I agree with banshee. FamilyFinder is the most helpful tool, although I do find mithochondrial and Y DNA results helpful. It is the FamilyFinder test which has really enriched my experience in genealogy though.

Comment

Working...
              X