Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sale on

The sale has started.

It appears that if you have done the Family Finder test the Y-DNA test is not considered an upgrade from that test. At least, I do not see any way to purchase a Y-DNA test at the sale price from within my father's FF account.

I suppose I have to wait for a different sale???

Carol Anne

Comment

Carol Anne,
      You would have to order a new test in that case, but those are on sale as well...

New kits:
      Y-DNA12 : $59 instead of $99
      Y-DNA37 : $129 instead of $149
      Y-DNA67 : $199 instead of $238

Comment

The Y-67 would be the minimum I'd recommend the Y-12 is almost worthless these days. I'm doing the upgrade from Y-67 to Y-111.

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
          It appears that if you have done the Family Finder test the Y-DNA test is not considered an upgrade from that test. At least, I do not see any way to purchase a Y-DNA test at the sale price from within my father's FF account.
          Carol Anne
          I'm seeing a similar thing. It doesn't make much sense since a new account is eligible for the sale price. I sent a request in to support to clarify this. Hopefully they will respond quickly.

Comment

I just reread the email and the sale is on NEW kits only. That seems like a strange restriction!

I don't want two separate accounts for my father. I just purchased his FF during the coupon sale and they have his DNA on hand. I'll just wait for a different sale.

Carol Anne

Comment

Maybe, if we're lucky, they'll have an even better sale for those who already have kits!

Comment

I just reread the email and the sale is on NEW kits only. That seems like a strange restriction!

I don't want two separate accounts for my father. I just purchased his FF during the coupon sale and they have his DNA on hand. I'll just wait for a different sale.

Carol Anne
                That was my impression too - the sale prices on non-upgraded tests are for new kits only.

However, I was informed this afternoon by a Sicily Project member who has already had yDNA tests for STRs and SNPs that he ordered the Family Finder test and was given the sale price. So, that's a case of an existing, not new, customer being given the sale price on a test that was new for him.

Comment

I tried to order, but the sale price did not show up. I went all the way through to the final "Confirm" and my invoice was still showing the full price, so I stopped.

Carol Anne

Comment

I tried to order, but the sale price did not show up. I went all the way through to the final "Confirm" and my invoice was still showing the full price, so I stopped.

Carol Anne
                    Try to order it by phone.

Comment

Originally posted by andbro View Post
                      The sale has started.
                      A 37 marker test with a major subclade SNP test would also be a help like
                      P312 or U106 in R1b. It should be the same for all Haplogroups not just R1b.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                        A 37 marker test with a major subclade SNP test would also be a help like
                        P312 or U106 in R1b. It should be the same for all Haplogroups not just R1b.
                        Though immensely valuable for R1b1a2, for many other haplogroups, the Deep Clade test is a complete waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                          That was my impression too - the sale prices on non-upgraded tests are for new kits only.

However, I was informed this afternoon by a Sicily Project member who has already had yDNA tests for STRs and SNPs that he ordered the Family Finder test and was given the sale price. So, that's a case of an existing, not new, customer being given the sale price on a test that was new for him.
                          I experienced the exact same. Two weeks ago a sicilian relative agreed to a test, the FF + Y-DNA-67. Expecting a summer sale with the largest discount on the FF, I ordered before the sale the Y-DNA-67 just with project discount and sure enough yesterday I could upgrade with an FF for the significantly reduced sale price.

A few weeks before that another person who in absence of a potential NPE would be a relative agreed to test, also FF + Y-DNA-67. Because of the elevated risk of an NPE, I only want to order the Y-DNA test after the FF test indicates the absence of an NPE. While the sale upgrade seems to only offer the (Scandinavian) project discount, the new kit price is 20$ lower.

Although the discount is small it seems irrational, because I could just get the relative to take the test again, since it would be no problem for me to have his FF and Y-DNA results on two different accounts - but for FTDNA it means sending out another test kit and having the overhead of adding it to their storage.

When someone acts a little bit irrationally I lose a little bit of confidence in them.

Comment

Working...
                          X