X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darren
    replied
    I am going to close this thread for now. While a discussion of mutations rates is relevant to genetic genealogy most of the posts were not in reference to that.

-Darren Marin
    Family Tree DNA

Leave a comment:

• on the edge
    replied
    Originally posted by girlperson1 View Post
    Actually, the Nazis had a very perverted view of religion.
    But isn't all religion a perverted view of reality?

Leave a comment:

• fbirder
    replied
    Originally posted by 507 View Post
    if man is nothing more than slightly evolved apes and monkeys, why are there still apes and monkeys ?
    If a salmon is just a slightly evolved fish, why are there still fish?

Leave a comment:

• vinnie
    replied
    Yaffa, thanks for the link! I've got an unused website just hanging around, so maybe it's time to start an Italian food forum. Or we might be able to justify such a thread here if we discuss the genetic genealogy of our favorite Italian ingredients and then go slightly off-topic and trade recipes. I wonder how long it would take Darren to shut it down.
    Last edited by vinnie; 12 July 2012, 11:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Zaru
    replied
    Beccaficcu, Cannoli, and mutation rates.

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
    As of now, there have been 1,541 views of this thread, and unless I misunderstood Ben's original post, it's really about mutation rates. So while I thank Linda for the web links she provided, I'm still waiting for someone who can speak with authority on the topic to answer my question, and ultimately Ben's.

P.S. When I come across forum threads I don't like, I just don't read them.
    Those are my two favorite Sicilian dishes!

As for experts on mutation rates? None lurk around here as far as I know. I am still trying to get the TMRCA issue settled.

To keep things contextually literate in this post:

Religion teaches how to get to heaven and science teaches how the heavens go. The problem is, we can and do weaponize both.

Leave a comment:

• Táltos
    replied
    manga manga!!
    Last edited by Táltos; 11 July 2012, 10:35 PM. Reason: did not copy and paste properly

Leave a comment:

• Yaffa
    replied
    Originally posted by Taz85 View Post
    If you havent tried pepper and egg sandwiches, I highly suggest it. It's prob my fav Italiano food. Well I like all Italian food. Lol
    My mind was on zeppolies!! Now if we want to get biblical and stay on topic we should discuss eggplant history http://www.momentmag.com/Exclusive/c...ftheTable.html

Leave a comment:

• Taz85
    replied
    Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
    maybe that many people are reading this thread because you brought up Italian food Thats what got my attention
    If you havent tried pepper and egg sandwiches, I highly suggest it. It's prob my fav Italiano food. Well I like all Italian food. Lol

Leave a comment:

• Yaffa
    replied
    Originally posted by vinnie View Post
    As of now, there have been 1,541 views of this thread, and unless I misunderstood Ben's original post, it's really about mutation rates. So while I thank Linda for the web links she provided, I'm still waiting for someone who can speak with authority on the topic to answer my question, and ultimately Ben's.

maybe that many people are reading this thread because you brought up Italian food Thats what got my attention

Leave a comment:

• vinnie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sspeters41
    replied
    What would happen

Exactly what did you think would happen when Ben brought up this subject?
    This is the only comment I have. This thread has progressed just as I thought it would.

ENOUGH ALL READY. It's time to put his subject to rest. You are not going to change their minds. Ooh, sorry, I did make a comment.

Leave a comment:

• girlperson1
    replied
    The Talmud was not meant for anyone else besides the Hebrew people. Once again because people would take it out of context just like they do of the entire Tanakh. Nothing that is being discussed in this thread is relevant to the Topic that was started by Ben.
    The Talmud was not meant for anyone else besides the Hebrew people. Exactly, it explains why the fundamentalist ONLY believes in the BIBLE and nothing else and explains why the fundamentalist will NEVER believe evolution or anything else that's not in the BIBLE. They believe the literal translation of the BIBLE.

Leave a comment:

• Taz85
    replied
    In your mind it doesn't work, in my mind it doesn't work. In the mind of a nut job, tying the culture of ancient hebrew text to today does work, and it apparently works well for the nut job. My entire point is that people will find any reason if they look hard enough, for anything they want. People are not just setting out on their own to read ancient text, they are being instructed by ministers and whoever. The interpretation as literal is and has always been a problem, a BIG one.

I believe the Talmud solved this problem for the hebrews but there are those who ONLY read the bible and ONLY accept the bible as the literal word of god. These persons won't go near the Talmud, no matter how much interesting wisdom it may have to share.
    The Talmud was not meant for anyone else besides the Hebrew people. Once again because people would take it out of context just like they do of the entire Tanakh. Nothing that is being discussed in this thread is relevant to the Topic that was started by Ben.

Leave a comment:

• girlperson1
    replied
    You are trying to tie the Culture of the Hebrew texts to today and it doesn't work. More people have died for economical, and political reasons then anything else. If you know that they are still taking things literally, who's fault is it? The text or the people? The people not understanding the context of the text. You basically are agreeing with there actions if you blame the text.
    In your mind it doesn't work, in my mind it doesn't work. In the mind of a nut job, tying the culture of ancient hebrew text to today does work, and it apparently works well for the nut job. My entire point is that people will find any reason if they look hard enough, for anything they want. People are not just setting out on their own to read ancient text, they are being instructed by ministers and whoever. The interpretation as literal is and has always been a problem, a BIG one.

I believe the Talmud solved this problem for the hebrews but there are those who ONLY read the bible and ONLY accept the bible as the literal word of god. These persons won't go near the Talmud, no matter how much interesting wisdom it may have to share.

Leave a comment:

• Taz85
    replied
    Then you know well the history of the Torah and how it's contents have been used by the Jews and other and how those who still take the bible literally still use it. The word "abomination" appears about 47 times in the old testament and about 5 times in the new testament. That's a lot of stones to be thrown.

As for cultural context, yes, we have to read the bible with an eye toward how life was 7,000 years ago. As I originally stated, the bible is filled with history AND parables. But, there are those who still take it and other "holy books" literally and use them as excuses for the unspeakable...
    You are trying to tie the Culture of the Hebrew texts to today and it doesn't work. More people have died for economical, and political reasons then anything else. If you know that they are still taking things literally, who's fault is it? The text or the people? The people not understanding the context of the text. You basically are agreeing with there actions if you blame the text.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X