DNA and Fibonacci

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA and Fibonacci

Obviously, physical characteristics in all living things are determined by DNA and many of those characteristics can be described by the Fibonacci sequence of numbers. A few examples: the number of petals on flowers, the number of nodes on a plant, the spiral of the nautilas shell and the human ear, the number of fingers we have, etc.

I wonder if anyone knows of an academic study of how the Fibonacci sequence might be coded in our DNA or is this idea just plain silly?

Comments solicited.

Jim Gates

Nothing is so obvious to me. I've never heard of it or attempted to find such a study. It seems bizarre when they already have a complex language they are using to do this.

Why not adopt PI to describe individual uniqueness and identity with each successive person after 'Adam' assigned the next longer calculated value of PI?

Yes, my name is .....

Sir, just tell me how many places your name is calculated too!

Jesus!

Comment

Apology

My post annoyed you. For that I am sorry.

Comment

Only a fellow math geek would appreciate this.

Comment

LOL, I bet you are sorry.

Don't worry I've trolled before too...

Comment

Not an answer to your question, but perhaps this will strike your fancy. The number of X-line ancestors per generation follows a Fibonacci sequence.

http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com...mosome-charts/

Comment

try this:

http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted...at.html#golden

or this documentary on the human face

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280262/

I doubt they're trying to figure out if there is something inherit in DNA coding that causes a geometry of the golden ratio, especially with all the exceptions.

I think it goes something like being taught in art class in grade school that you can learn to draw only using triangles. It's pretty effective method, that is, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
                Not an answer to your question, but perhaps this will strike your fancy. The number of X-line ancestors per generation follows a Fibonacci sequence.

http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com...mosome-charts/
                Interesting indeed! Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

I doubt they're trying to figure out if there is something inherit in DNA coding that causes a geometry of the golden ratio, especially with all the exceptions.

Thanks. Something for me to ponder at night when I can't sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeswax View Post

Thanks. Something for me to ponder at night when I can't sleep.
                    I would think so...

I often read this book for grins:

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Mathe.../dp/1584882913

Comment

More Fibonacci Fun

After sleeping on it, these thoughts came to mind.

The four bases in the DNA code can be thought of as a quartenary numbering system where A is equivalent to 0, C to 1, G to 2 and T to 3. Then a Fibonacce sequence can be created in DNA language. Here is a short run of a Fibonacce sequence in DNA code:

Fib DNA
                      0 A
                      1 C
                      1 C
                      2 G
                      3 T
                      5 CC
                      8 GA
                      13 TC
                      21 GAC

This is just an artifact of my own creation and has no relevance in an actual DNA but since there are 6 billion bases in our DNA, it seems that it could be a template for an actual DNA sequence. If so, it would probably be in the regulatory area, not the coding section and might be the the mechanism for the physical characteristics we see in nature.

Well, I guess I've satisified my own curiousity about the subject, so 'nough said from me.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Comment

Beeswax, don't forget that DNA is not permanent. Any base could have been another base in the past, usually, but not always, transitions changing from C to T and possibly back again, or from A to G to A. Several mtDNA positions have changed a couple of times during human history. You can also have insertions and deletions that would affect your list.

Bill Hurst

Comment

I agree. What I have suggested is a gross over-simplification of what might be at play.

Comment

Working...
                          X