23andMe & Family Finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23andMe & Family Finder

I have an interest in getting the medical data from a 23andMe test, but I also very much want the ability to find relatives through FTDNA. Would it be best to order a test at 23andMe and then transfer it to FTDNA? Are there any downfalls to taking this path? Should I just order a test from both companies?

Thanks in advance.

I have an interest in getting the medical data from a 23andMe test, but I also very much want the ability to find relatives through FTDNA. Would it be best to order a test at 23andMe and then transfer it to FTDNA? Are there any downfalls to taking this path? Should I just order a test from both companies?
    I would order the test from 23andme and transfer it.
    In my opinion 23andme gives the best value for the money spent .
    If you are male you get a Y test at a deep clade level - a mtDNA result
    Plus relative finder and other features.

Comment

I don't entirely agree. Value for money spent depends on what you're looking for and your ethnic background. I've gotten much better results with FTDNA. 23andMe borders on being useless if, like me, you are part Ashkenazi and are looking to find non-Ashkenazi relatives. If that's your situation, I would definitely start with FTDNA and not bother with 23andMe at this time. In addition, FTDNA's Y testing is far superior to 23andMe's, which is badly out-of-date, at least with regards to my haplogroup (my designation at 23andMe is incorrect.) FTDNA's Y testing may, if you are lucky, reveal a good deal about your direct paternal ancestry that 23andMe will not.

If you have the money and are not part Ashkenazi, I'd recommend testing at 23andMe, transferring results here, and taking FTDNA's 67-marker Y test.

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
      I would order the test from 23andme and transfer it.
      In my opinion 23andme gives the best value for the money spent .
      If you are male you get a Y test at a deep clade level - a mtDNA result
      Plus relative finder and other features.

Comment

Originally posted by elliswr View Post

Thanks in advance.
        It looks like your answered your own question. If you want medical data then you need a 23andMe test. If you want the ability to find relatives in FTDNA then you need a FTDNA test.

You can transfer 23andMe results for a fee. The data they pull from your 23andMe information is going to work basically just like a Family Finder test would and will provide you a list of any matches you might have to the FTDNA database.

From a transferred 23andMe test, FTDNA does not use the X, Y, MT or custom information from it. They only use the autosomal data so any added testing such as YDNA or MTDNA will need to be ordered separately from FTDNA but that is not an issue as 23andMe does not providing matching to Y or MT databases for those tests, just informational haplogroup data.

Matt
        Last edited by mkdexter; 25 June 2012, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X