No announcement yet.

measurement error in DNA testing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, I recommend re-building all established genealogies with what I call biological verification. All paper-trail proven patrilines should be triangulated, if possible. All connections to other sides of the family can be verified through Family Finder.

There was a time when lineages mainly contained names; later people began adding birth, marriage, & death dates to lineages; then people began adding places & standards were developed for proper citation of a lineage.

I can easily envision in say 2050, a genealogist disregarding a book thats loaded with documentation, because it is only based on a paper trail. People will be asking "where is the biological verification?" The time to start building that library is now.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
      Actually, I recommend re-building all established genealogies with what I call biological verification. All paper-trail proven patrilines should be triangulated, if possible. All connections to other sides of the family can be verified through Family Finder.

There was a time when lineages mainly contained names; later people began adding birth, marriage, & death dates to lineages; then people began adding places & standards were developed for proper citation of a lineage.

I can easily envision in say 2050, a genealogist disregarding a book thats loaded with documentation, because it is only based on a paper trail. People will be asking "where is the biological verification?" The time to start building that library is now.

Timothy Peterman
      I'm in basic agreement with you. In my short time doing genealogical research, I've seen some crap out there, both from the time when family genealogists would write letters and exchange notes with others, mainly speculating about how things could be, and the more modern times when people play the video game called ancestry.com.

I probably need to work more with the few matches I have with my surname, but everything I seen thus far supports the idea that the earliest the NPE could be is where I'm hypothesizing that it is.

Comment

Well as a big proponent of DNA testing I some what agree...but as an adopted person I feel that just because I am adopted, that makes me no less a Thormalen which is my adopted name. So the whole issue is not clear cut and is confusing when one is on the adopted side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
          I'm in basic agreement with you. In my short time doing genealogical research, I've seen some crap out there, both from the time when family genealogists would write letters and exchange notes with others, mainly speculating about how things could be, and the more modern times when people play the video game called ancestry.com.

I probably need to work more with the few matches I have with my surname, but everything I seen thus far supports the idea that the earliest the NPE could be is where I'm hypothesizing that it is.
          I don't totally agree or disagree with either of you, but having been doing genealogy for 25 yrs...and yes writing letters and swapping documents with others searching the same families by snail mail and having file drawers full of records, I don't agree that the paper trail of documents and pictures of our Ancestors will ever be of NO value...DNA is a good back up plan, but at this point its not an end all ,be all , I agree there is a LOT of Badly done genealogy on the Internet, a pet peeve of mine, is NOT carefully documenting every step back, I do have "Private"trees on Ancestry.com that way my kids & grandkids that live a distance away can access them , but I do see a lot of junk on there and when its my Ancestor & I know its wrong.. it makes me GRRRry

Comment

As I see it, in the future, paper & DNA will work in tandem. The paper tells us which people to get tested. The DNA results tell us where to look for paper. Both should remain part of the record going forward.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by slwr View Post
              I don't totally agree or disagree with either of you, but having been doing genealogy for 25 yrs...and yes writing letters and swapping documents with others searching the same families by snail mail and having file drawers full of records, I don't agree that the paper trail of documents and pictures of our Ancestors will ever be of NO value...DNA is a good back up plan, but at this point its not an end all ,be all , I agree there is a LOT of Badly done genealogy on the Internet, a pet peeve of mine, is NOT carefully documenting every step back, I do have "Private"trees on Ancestry.com that way my kids & grandkids that live a distance away can access them , but I do see a lot of junk on there and when its my Ancestor & I know its wrong.. it makes me GRRRry
              I think the concern is that georgian1950 might be over-interpreting his dna results (seeing more than is there) to fit his understanding of family genealogical history. From georgian1950's comments, I think he understands the risk.

Comment

Working...
              X