DNA test to match female to male

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA test to match female to male

Y-DNA test match father to son and the mtDNA test can match son to mother and daughter to mother, right? Is there a DNA test to match a female to a male line? Thanks for any help.

John

We used FF and my grandmother matched her son.

Comment

Either uniline test could be employed if you have testing candidates who span both lines and you are willing to test Y or Mt to a conclusive degree (at least both HVR's and 37/67 Y-STR's) and you test, possibly, numerous family members. Absent such candidates or conditions, Family Finder will yield conclusive results ... given the range of potential sharing between more distant family members ...

Comment

Originally posted by darroll View Post
        We used FF and my grandmother matched her son.
        Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
          Either uniline test could be employed if you have testing candidates who span both lines and you are willing to test Y or Mt to a conclusive degree (at least both HVR's and 37/67 Y-STR's) and you test, possibly, numerous family members. Absent such candidates or conditions, Family Finder will yield conclusive results ... given the range of potential sharing between more distant family members ...
          Thanks. So, are you saying the Family Finder would give DNA results for both the father and mother, when the test is taken by a female? I took a Y-DNA test and I discovered that I do not match any Hale at the Family Tree DNA Hale Project. I match a known cousin at the Hale DNA, but they don't match any Hale either. FTDNA notified us that we match the following surnames: Acker, Aker, and Akers. Another cousin informed me that her mother always told her and her brother were nor really Hale, they were Akers. Her mother said that an Akers was adopted by a Hale family. So, another cousin told me today that she was on a waiting list for a DNA test to determine if she was an Akers or Hale. This cousin was not sure if the female test she is waiting for will tell her if she is related to this Akers male line or the Hale male line.

So, will the Family Finder test tell her this?

Thanks.

John Hale

Comment

Originally posted by migoblu View Post
            Thanks. So, are you saying the Family Finder would give DNA results for both the father and mother, when the test is taken by a female? I took a Y-DNA test and I discovered that I do not match any Hale at the Family Tree DNA Hale Project. I match a known cousin at the Hale DNA, but they don't match any Hale either. FTDNA notified us that we match the following surnames: Acker, Aker, and Akers. Another cousin informed me that her mother always told her and her brother were nor really Hale, they were Akers. Her mother said that an Akers was adopted by a Hale family. So, another cousin told me today that she was on a waiting list for a DNA test to determine if she was an Akers or Hale. This cousin was not sure if the female test she is waiting for will tell her if she is related to this Akers male line or the Hale male line.

Thanks.

John Hale
            I have generally found that FamilyFinder can bring up ancestral names I am familiar with 3-5 generations back. Sometimes my actual FF cousins have these names themselves. Most of the time though I see these names in their ancestral name lists. The same holds true with my elderly mother and father's accounts as well. You have to be patient though: Usually, a test-taker doesn't get all the answers from his or her original list of cousins. See what information you can gather over a year's time.
            Last edited by mixedkid; 16 June 2012, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks.

John Hale
              A family finder test wont tell your female cousin what specific surname she is related to, It will just tell her if she is related to you or not and if she is your close cousin. Family Finder is autosomal and can go to any ancestor on any side of her family. Its not specific like Y-DNA. There is no DNA test for women to prove a surname line like Y-DNA can prove male line surname on men. How far back is this possible adoption in your family?

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
                A family finder test wont tell your female cousin what specific surname she is related to, It will just tell her if she is related to you or not and if she is your close cousin. Family Finder is autosomal and can go to any ancestor on any side of her family. Its not specific like Y-DNA. There is no DNA test for women to prove a surname line like Y-DNA can prove male line surname on men. How far back is this possible adoption in your family?
                So, if she's taking the Family Finder test, it will tell her if she's related to me and the cousin my DNA matches? Then, since my DNA matches Acker, Aker, and Akers and not Hale, then that would mean she's an Acker, Aker, Akers on the male side?

Comment

There's an Eckhardt DNA Project that includes Akers.

Comment

So, if she's taking the Family Finder test, it will tell her if she's related to me and the cousin my DNA matches? Then, since my DNA matches Acker, Aker, and Akers and not Hale, then that would mean she's an Acker, Aker, Akers on the male side?
                    Oh, by the way this adoption or whatever it was may have happened between 1800 and 1820 in KY, TN, or VA. We are of the belief that it happened in Grayson County or Wythe County, VA.

Comment

Originally posted by econnore View Post
                      There's an Eckhardt DNA Project that includes Akers.
                      Thanks. I am a member of the Project.

Comment

No, If she is a close cousin to you the Family Finder test will reveal that she is related to you but wont pin the relationship to a specific ancestor or surname. You need paper to prove how she is related to you with a family finder test. It does not work like Y-DNA which can prove a specific male line to connect to others of a specific surname line.

What time frame do you think your Hale ancestor might be an oops or NPE in the family? What is the birth year or your last known Hale ancestor?

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
                          No, If she is a close cousin to you the Family Finder test will reveal that she is related to you but wont pin the relationship to a specific ancestor or surname. You need paper to prove how she is related to you with a family finder test. It does not work like Y-DNA which can prove a specific male line to connect to others of a specific surname line.

What time frame do you think your Hale ancestor might be an oops or NPE in the family? What is the birth year or your last known Hale ancestor?
                          The birth year of my great great grandfather is thought to be 1815. So, I think that the adoption or whatever would be at some time after that.

Comment

The birth year of my great great grandfather is thought to be 1815. So, I think that the adoption or whatever would be at some time after that.
                            Family Finder wont help an NPE 1815 or before. It would have to be very close to the living for the test to possibly help an NPE. For you its a waiting game to get a close match on Y-DNA that may lead you to paper.

Comment

If she takes a Family Finder test, then you will also need to take one in order to see if you match one another. But keep in mind that with each successive generation only about half of the parents DNA is passed on, so for each of the following generation the odds of retaining large segments of common ancestors DNA becomes less and less

Even if each does retain common ancestors DNA, you still may not match due to the fact you each may have received different parts of common ancestors DNA. All depends which parts of about half of ancestors DNA was recombined and passed on to each of his children, then to their children and so on.

But I would say it is a possibility (The further away from common ancestor get the smaller the chance of a significant match)
                              But it is a possibility that you may match if you both descend from the presumed adopted ancestor.

For example in my father's FF, he matches with another man who we suspected descended from a suspected second marriage of my fathers GG Grandfather (a daughter's line). Common ancestor would be the other man's GGG Grandfather. The 2 FF test show a shared CM of 57.98 with a longest block of 16.78

Will have to weigh the pros and cons on if it is worth it to take the tests even if it does not match you together. Just also remember it does not prove you are not related if you do not match.

Comment

Working...
                              X