Matching another Surname at 25 markers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching another Surname at 25 markers

My brother tested at 37 markers in the Hughes Y-DNA project, and does not yet have any close matches.

However, he does have eleven 25 marker matches in the Kuykendall surname project with a distance of 2 steps. These matches disappear at 37 markers.

Although my Hughes paper trail reaches back only to about 1840, we have no known connection to the Kuykendall family.

Are the 25 marker matches close enough to request joining the Kuykendall Y-DNA project, or would a possible common ancestor be too far back in time to be significant?

Originally posted by terjess View Post
    Are the 25 marker matches close enough to request joining the Kuykendall Y-DNA project, or would a possible common ancestor be too far back in time to be significant?
    Different projects have different requirements; it is up to the project admin.

That's not a close match though, as you know, since you say they dropped off at Y-37.

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by terjess View Post
      My brother tested at 37 markers in the Hughes Y-DNA project, and does not yet have any close matches.

However, he does have eleven 25 marker matches in the Kuykendall surname project with a distance of 2 steps. These matches disappear at 37 markers.

Although my Hughes paper trail reaches back only to about 1840, we have no known connection to the Kuykendall family.

I have 300 25 marker matches and 99% of them are not in the same subclade. Even if you match someone at 37 you should get an SNP test to be sure.I have two 37 marker matches that are not in my subclade as well.SNPs are the way to go.

Comment

I had a match drop off at 37 markers that reappeared when I upgraded to 67, so don't discount those missing matches. I'd upgrade, see what happens when you do and then join the other surname project if necessary.

Comment

Working...
        X