New Phasing Tool at Gedmatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Phasing Tool at Gedmatch

There is a new phasing tool available at Gedmatch.
    I wasn't sure about whether or not I could post the link...

I've used it with a few of my family members and am waiting for the new files it generated to become available for comparisons.

This looks promising and I had been hoping gedmatch would make one available.
    Hope it helps me fill in some of the blanks.

Phasing tool

Can you explain what the phasing tool is going to do? Thanks

Comment

Very cool, but it says the relationship isn't verified when I try to phase my Mom and I. I'm trying to figure out how to fix that.

My brother has agreed to be tested so I should be able to get a fairly complete picture of our fathers DNA by taking his results and my results and comparing them to our mother.

Comment

Basically you would run your DNA along with a parent .
        It then seperates what is unique to you and what is unique to them .
        That's my understanding anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BenTurin View Post
          I second this request. Thanks!

Comment

Upload worked

Good Day Everyone,

I just used the phasing tool in a attempt to rebuild my paternal grandfather's DNA. As input, I used my dad's kit number and his mother's DNA kit number. The upload went smoothly as each chromosome was read. I have to wait 24 hours to use the comparison tools.

I will keep everyone posted.

Has anyone successfully had one of parents DNA phased by this new tool?

Steve

Comment

Phasing with Grandparent

Would I be able to use the phasing tool with a grandparent and grandchild?

Comment

Parent - Child

Originally posted by BenTurin View Post
                Would I be able to use the phasing tool with a grandparent and grandchild?
                Hi Ben - To the best of my knowledge, you can only use a phasing tool between a parent and child, not grandparent and grandchild. I believe that the idea behind phasing is you can reconstruct a single parent DNA's from a known tested child (including siblings as well) and a known tested parent.

Phasing is new to me - so if anyone wants to add or correct my statements - please feel free.

Thanks
                Steve

Comment

My results - none?

Here is what I got from using the new GedMatch Phasing Tool. I attempted to reconstruct my paternal grandfather's DNA from his son (my dad) and my paternal grandmother.

"DNA matches to Kit PF208196P1.

These matches are calculated from DNA raw data files submitted by users.
                  Results are based on the default parameters for the GEDmatch Autosomal comparison software.
                  These results are for comparison only and will likely be somewhat different than those shown by your testing company.

Default parameters (and results) may change periodically based on feedback from users, and from new research results.

Click on 'T' go to Triangulation page (if it exists) for that person
                  Click on 'L' for list of matches for that person
                  Click on 'A' for details on Autosomal comparison (Detail data may take up to a minute to process).
                  Click on 'X' for details on X-DNA comparison.

No matches
                  If you have just uploaded your raw data, please allow up to 24 hours for it to be processed."

I don't know if this new tool is accurate but it's been over 24 hours. I would think I would have some matches LOL!!!!!!!!

Comment

I don't think there is a reason you couldn't phase a grandchild and grand parent but what you would end up with is the DNA from the three other grand parents and no way to tell which one of those three a particular portion came from.

This could still be useful though in that you could be reasonably sure that any matches on the phased data did not come from the tested grand parents line.

Comment

Info about Phasing

Good explanation of the tool here:
                      http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com/

One thing to remember is that the phased data for the parents represents only that portion that was *actually inherited* by the child. Meaning that paintings resulting from this calculation will not be exactly the same as that for unphased parent data... it's only half, not the full set of data from either parent.

For those with more knowledge/experience, please feel free to add a more complete description.

Comment

AngeliaR, thank you for the link. I'm wondering if phasing can be used to separate other relationships. I'd like to test my father's sister to identify what my father inherited from his father versus his mother, and to obtain whatever info my aunt may carry from her paternal grandmother. Can phasing be used in this way?

Comment

I think it works best to think of phasing as simple math and then consider what you would get. So, if I have my Mom's DNA and my DNA I can subtract hers from mine and everything that is left came from my father.

Imagine I had my brothers DNA and my DNA but neither parent. phasing my DNA with my brothers would give me the DNA that he inherited from our parents that I didn't. I wouldn't be able to tell which parent it came from but I'd at least have a more complete picture of them as a pair.

Say you had the DNA of three of your four grand parents plus your own DNA. You could subtract the DNA of each grand parent from yours and what remained would be the DNA from the 4th grand parent. If you had siblings who had tested you could do the same thing with each of them and then combine the results to get more of the missing grand parents DNA.

This is why its good to get as many family members as you can to test.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_mke View Post

Imagine I had my brothers DNA and my DNA but neither parent. phasing my DNA with my brothers would give me the DNA that he inherited from our parents that I didn't. I wouldn't be able to tell which parent it came from but I'd at least have a more complete picture of them as a pair.
                            Thanks much! So phasing won't tell me as much as I had hoped, but it's still worth it to test my aunt, if she will.

Comment

More phasing

So, my understanding is that if I have my mothers sisters' and her mother's results, I should be able to come up with a pretty good idea of what my grandfather contributed. (Not sure quite how to combine the resulting PM...P1 files into a single new and improved version...)

I also have my results and my father's, so I can phase to my mother.

I should be able to get even closer to the full picture for my mother using the phased data for my grandfather.

Is that a correct assessment of what multiple family members can do to help fill in the unobtainable blanks?

Comment

Working...
                              X