STR Test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STR Test?

Hi! I have had my autosomal and mtDNA HVR1 and HVR2 done so far. Is the STR included in these or is that a seperate test I need to order?

Originally posted by Scampikins View Post
    Hi! I have had my autosomal and mtDNA HVR1 and HVR2 done so far. Is the STR included in these or is that a seperate test I need to order?
    The STR test (single tandem repeats) is for males looking to test the Y chromosome for male linage. A section of the Y chromosome is examined to determine the amount of base pairs present. A repeat of say ATATATAT 12 times would produce an allele value of 12 on that section. I can then compare
    the different sections and the repeats to another male and determine if we descend from the same male line.
    I probably screwed this up a little but I think I captured the main idea.

Comment

Oh! Ok. I wonder why DNA Tribes says you can send in your STR results for analysis then?

Comment

DNA Tribes says you can send in your STR results for analysis then
        You can send your autosomal raw data to them for analysis for a population finder type tests. (for a fee).
        Quite frankly I have always found them to be a bit quirkey

Comment

I went over to DNATribes to take a look at what you were looking at.
          DNA tribes tests CODIS markers in their STR test.
          This is the same kind of autosomal test used by law enforcement.
          Here they examine very specific areas of DNA which are believed to be more unique to a particular individual than other areas. They then use their own
          ( unpublished) method to assign this to different parts or populations in the world .

Comment

Working...
          X