Melungeon Article from Admins at FTDNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melungeon Article from Admins at FTDNA

Melungeon Article on DNA study from Melungeon DNA admins Jack Goins and Roberta Estes at FTDNA

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D164187

Thanks for sharing, Yaffa. Very interesting.

Comment

The link to the actual article:

http://www.jogg.info/72/files/Estes.htm#_ftnref25

Comment

Actually from what I was told by Melungeon DNA admin Roberta had that article issued to the Huffpost and yahoo. Whatever is quoted in huffpost/yahoo article is accurate. They were African/European. DNA matches up to Paul Heinegg's research.

Comment

After reading the article, I decided to look more closely at the yDNA haplogroups of my matches. Of these, 62 have yDNA results. Of these 62, 11 of them are E1b1b1. Looking at their surnames, half of them appear to have eastern European roots. The article shows many of the Melungeon participants as R1a/R1b or E1b1a with one participant with a common Melungeon surname as Q1a3.
          Last edited by econnore; 29 May 2012, 01:09 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

The Sizemore family was never called "Melungeon". They come up Q and are technically not part of the "Melungeon" study though related to some people who were called Melungeon.The term Melungeon was used as a racial slur for certain surnames in Court/Church records. Those people that were called "Melungeon by others were African/European. The Goins family for one are sub-African. They are both E1b and A haplogroups. Haplogroup A actually matching to the Bass family. The Goins that comes up "A" is an NPE. At least one of the Collins surname lines also comes up Sub-African. Jack Goins's ancestors that come up Sub African claimed Portuguese probably because it was safer than stating they were Sub African-European mixed. They were on trial. It was also slightly safer to claim Indian though not much safer, but still safer. Most of the people including Sizemore who can prove Indian through DNA in the area these families were from get listed white. The term mulatto in this area has proven to have sub-African in their mix. Portugal was on of the biggest known slave ports. Many African may have been able to speak Portuguese. The area these families lived was not a known area for Portuguese. Slaves were taken from Europe to the Islands (where Portuguese and Spanish were spoken) to the US or visa versa by English. These people called Melungeon were Free African Americans and could have been freed early on. VA had laws that Free People of color needed permission to stay in the state so they ran off to NC and then further west. This all started happening prior to the rev war but continued. The Church of England charged people extra tax for not being born white. Several petitions were fought on this issue in NC prior to the rev war in NC.
            Last edited by Yaffa; 29 May 2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I come from a "Melungeon" family. Colleys of Alabama and Mississippi. I haven't been able to trace them back further so far but I'm working on it. My autosomal dna show I have considerable amounts of Mozabite/berber ancestry, also Persian and Yoruba and this didn't come from my father.

The majority of my 2-4th cousing FF matches also carry many Melungeon names within their family tree and surname listings.

My great great Grandfater was John Edward Colley. The only picture I ever saw of him disappeared after my grandmother passed. We are asking the cousins to look for it.

He appeared to be over 6ft. High cheekbones, light eyes, dark skin, tight berber like hair that was reddish color. I asked my grandmother if he was black and she told me they were called "Black Irish"

Comment

I would ask to join the Melungeon DNA project if you haven't already. Im sure they are studying Family Finder results too. I would also try to locate a living direct line male from your great grandfather who might be willing to Y-DNA test

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
                  I would ask to join the Melungeon DNA project if you haven't already. Im sure they are studying Family Finder results too. I would also try to locate a living direct line male from your great grandfather who might be willing to Y-DNA test
                  I have one, my cousin but I can't get him to test yet. It's the musician, John Ford Coley! He said he'd get around to it. I'm going to tell him what my DNA found and see if that will persuade him to do it soon. What would be the better test, FF or Y and mt dna for him? I don't think his mother is of Melungeon descent her last name was Pace.

Comment

I joined Melungeon Families, I cannot do the melungeon Y or mt dna. The mt dna is my maternal grandmothers father so it's not a DIrect mt. If they wanted me to join then I would but I don't think I'm what they are looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by Favouriteslave View Post
                      I joined Melungeon Families, I cannot do the melungeon Y or mt dna. The mt dna is my maternal grandmothers father so it's not a DIrect mt. If they wanted me to join then I would but I don't think I'm what they are looking for?
                      If you joined this project http://www.familytreedna.com/public/familiesofinterest than your already in, affiliated or related to known Core melungeon project surnames. Im related to some of them though my ancestors were not called Melungeon

There is also the Core Melungeon project which is what the article from huffpost and yahoo is about and more specific about certain surnames
                      http://www.familytreedna.com/project...Melungeon_Core

I realize you dont carry your great grandfather's Y DNA but someone out there might. if you could locate a male line descendant of his, maybe you can get his Y-DNA line tested.

Can you locate your great grandfather prior to the 1870 census? If not possible he could have been a freed slave. Check for slave owners in your great grandfather's area that could have same surname as your great grandfather.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
                        If you joined this project http://www.familytreedna.com/public/familiesofinterest than your already in, affiliated or related to known Core melungeon project surnames. Im related to some of them though my ancestors were not called Melungeon

There is also the Core Melungeon project which is what the article from huffpost and yahoo is about and more specific about certain surnames
                        http://www.familytreedna.com/project...Melungeon_Core

I realize you dont carry your great grandfather's Y DNA but someone out there might. if you could locate a male line descendant of his, maybe you can get his Y-DNA line tested.

Can you locate your great grandfather prior to the 1870 census? If not possible he could have been a freed slave. Check for slave owners in your great grandfather's area that could have same surname as your great grandfather.
                        Thank you for the links. I requested to join them. Yes I have my 2nd great grandfather birth record Alabama, 1850 and documentation of his marriage to Francis Ophelia Steggar and I can find their children. I cannot find John Edwards father or where he came from. Steggars line ends soon after I found her parents.

Comment

Thank you for the links. I requested to join them. Yes I have my 2nd great grandfather birth record Alabama, 1850 and documentation of his marriage to Francis Ophelia Steggar and I can find their children. I cannot find John Edwards father or where he came from. Steggars line ends soon after I found her parents.
                          Your Welcome. I have that same problem in AL/MS. I have people born there but I dont know where. Great Grandma said her elder (her grandparents) family were on the trail of tears and ditched. Their DNA is AI but I cant find record of when they started on the trial or where and when they might have ditched. Only know that they claimed to have ditched the trail and I have 2 federal census on great grandma's parents. No death or birth record only a marriage record in the 1880's.

Comment

Core Melungeons denied me because I don't have a "core" name. The Name is Colley which I think may be a change that was made to Collins but whatever. Even though I match Goins as 2nd cousins they still won't accept me because of the name.

Comment

Core Melungeons denied me because I don't have a "core" name. The Name is Colley which I think may be a change that was made to Collins but whatever. Even though I match Goins as 2nd cousins they still won't accept me because of the name.
                              You can do the other group. The core Melungeon is specific to certain surnames. If you could prove through Y-DNA that your Colley is actually Collins and matches Y-DNA with others in their study, then they would let you join.

Comment

Working...
                              X