This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AncestryDNA

Yesterday I received an email introducing the new autosomal dna test offered by Ancestry.com. So far it is unclear to me whether this new service from Ancestry.com does anything over and above what FTDNA's FamilyFinder does. Does anyone else have more information on this?

At $99 it's a lot cheaper than FF. Guess that is the buying power of having a large customer base.

Don't you just love advertisers watch the video, I like the way they slip in "with billions of records".

How it works:
    "comprehensively looks at the entire genome at over 700,000 locations"

Entire genome? impressive!

The written word is truly wonderful.
    Last edited by Jomid59; 4th May 2012, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I just hope FTDNA doesn't get pushed out of the business of DNA testing. I realize they are all businesses, but I just wish Ancestry would stick to records & let FTDNA do what they do best. Although, I am a very "share and share alike" person.

Comment

According to CeCe Moore, a genetic genealogy blogger, Ancestry.com's autosomal DNA test will not provide customers with the chromosome number and location of matching segments. See http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.co...-notes-on.html An update of her description of the test is at http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.co...estrycoms.html

This is a deal-breaker for any serious genetic genealogist. When you know the start and end points and the chromosome number you can triangulate with other matches. That makes it easier to possibly find common ancestors or at least in which line the common ancestor may be found.

Comment

I'm sure that some genealogists will be lured by the cheap price into the Ancestry system & that will be disappointing, both for them because so much will no doubt be missing, & for us, because we will lose the opportunity to match them.

I hope that Family Tree DNA offers an upgrade path to Ancestry customers.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
            I hope that Family Tree DNA offers an upgrade path to Ancestry customers.
            In addition to not providing segment detail, there is no raw data download.

They say they are considering these options, but I have my doubts. It spoils the simplicity.

Comment

Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
              lured by the cheap price
              I forgot to add that the $99 price appears temporary. They are building up the database.

Comment

I think it looks interesting, especially to get it for the $99 price. I think they will work out the kinks ie raw data download and have them in the future. I hate to say it I was not impressed with FTDNA's DNA Day "sale" prices.

I have had great luck with Ancestry.com in meeting 3 people who we all collaborated on our genealogies, and we were able to either fill in missing pieces, go further back in a line or even find a new ethnicity.
                I saw on another link that Ancestry would offer "leaves" to try to connect common ancestors for two people to link their lines together. So I think this looks very promising whether your a newbie or a "vet" to genetic genealogy!

I also think that if FTDNA offered an upgrade at a reasonable price in the future people would be willing to transfer results from Ancestry to here.

Comment

Look at the price of Ancestry.
                  Then you can wonder how much is accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by darroll View Post
                    Look at the price of Ancestry.
                    Then you can wonder how much is accurate.
                    I don't want to get into a petty fight as I've seen occur on this forum. However I have heard people complain that population finder is not so good here. So I say why not give it a chance. And if FTDNA would allow for a transfer in the future at a reasonable price, that would be a good thing. You can't expect one company to have a MONOPOLY on a product.

Furthermore, expensive does not always mean better. An $83,000 car breaks down just as easily as a $15,000 car. Why, because they are both mechanical and mechanical things break down!

These DNA companies I would imagine have access to similar technologies. So therefore they could probably all eventually be on the same page in regard to results, in the future.

And obviously, it appears that people do look for more answers because they seem to test at more than one company. So it probably all lies within the testers expectations and budget.

Comment

I'll pay the $99 when given the option. I'd probably wait awhile if it were more than that as I still have a lot of leads to follow up on from the stuff I've already paid for.

If I were FTDNA I'd be making calls to ancestry.com right now and seeing if some sort of deal could be made because FTNDA has a lot of value in their databases but I don't like their long term prospects with ancestry.com's recent moves.

Note I'm not judging which company is better here, just making an observation based on my limited understanding of this industry and my understanding of how business works in general.

Comment

Family Finder, Relative Finder, and Ancestry DNA

I have tested at all three companies and here is a comparison.

Pluses: Family Finder belongs to a company that is interested in the use of DNA and Genealogy. Offers Y and mt DNA test along with FF and has a large data base. Most of my Common Ancestors have been found with matches from Family Finder. No subscription fee's and able to use Q&A forum after registration. Most of the time I get at least 1 to 5 new matches a week. Helpful forum.

Minuses: High price, large amount of matches that don't reply.

Pluses: Relative Finder a low price of 99 dollars plus a 9.99 per month subscription that you have to pay for the first year for a total of 218.88 dollars. It took three weeks to get my results and I had 993 matches.

Minuses: Relative Finder only a small amount of matches are interested in Genealogy most have tested there for health reason. A good number of matches don't reply. Having to pay subscription and if you decide not to pay a subscription after the first year you lose some benefits. What and which benefits I don't know once I read that I knew I was only interested in what I could get out of it the first year. Also in the nine months since I got my results I have had no new matches and with in the last month and a half I have lost 4 matches.

AncestryDNA: Pluses low cost, potential for a data base that will challenge FTDNA in a very short time. Majority of people who test here will be interested in Genealogy and maybe a chance to find more Common Ancestor. Also provides your genetic ethnicity reveals where your ancestors lived hundreds perhaps even thousands of years ago. Location map also provided.

Minuses: Just starting out and has a smaller data base. I have a good number of matches in the Distant Cousin Range which they say could or couldn't be related to you. 1 Forth Cousin who has not log in to Ancestry since 2008 and has not replied to my message this looks to be a common theme.
                        Last edited by EdwardRHill; 5th May 2012, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Two possible plusses for AncestryDNA -

They have acquired the assets of Sorensen Molecular Genetics Foundation, that includes thousands of pedigrees and associated DNA samples from around the world that they can test for autosomal matching. (I suppose these came from Mormons but am not sure). This could give their ancestry tools a level of refinement not available from 23&Me and FTDNA.

If test subscription cost includes access to Ancestry online databases, a user receives far more value than with a subscription to 23&Me.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                            Two possible plusses for AncestryDNA -

They have acquired the assets of Sorensen Molecular Genetics Foundation, that includes thousands of pedigrees and associated DNA samples from around the world that they can test for autosomal matching. (I suppose these came from Mormons but am not sure). This could give their ancestry tools a level of refinement not available from 23&Me and FTDNA.

If test subscription cost includes access to Ancestry online databases, a user receives far more value than with a subscription to 23&Me.
                            It's not exactly clear what is meant by Ancestry.com acquiring assets from SMGF. Read these postings - http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-05/1336075045 and http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-05/1336076019 - on the Rootsweb Genealogy/DNA list to understand the deal.

As CeCe Moore points out, SMGF is a non-profit foundation and presumably can not be bought by a for profit corporation. What Ancestry.com essentially did is purchase GeneTree, which is affiliated with SMGF and has access to its database, but is not the same thing.

So, I wouldn't assume that Ancestry.com has full and unfettered access to all information in SMGF's database by acquiring GeneTree.

Comment

Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
                              Also in the nine months since I got my results I have had no new matches and with in the last month and a half I have lost 4 matches.
                              No new matches in 9 months seems unlikely. I get them almost every week. You must be just looking at just the total?

RF has a 1000 match limit. Whenever new matches arrive, the lowest resolution are dropped in favor of the higher, so the total may not change. Often, they drop several of the same resolution, so the total may fall below 1000.

Any matches already sharing or with an invite issued are preserved.

Choose "sort by most recent first". I invite everyone, so it is not difficult to see who is new/uninvited. I am not sure how you keep track, but you can look at the dates of your most recent invites and acceptnces to identify whatever might be new.

Comment

Working...
                              X