X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yaffa
    • May 2007

Originally posted by 1_mke View Post
    So far all my ancestors going back ten generations or more are either from the north america or the british isles. Givent hat criteria I've done very well.

One clarification, FamilySearch does charge if you want to examine at least some of their records and you have to do it by way of microfilm sent to the local family research center. To be clear, I'm not complaining about that. It's a huge time and money save to be able to look at images of original 18th century Scottish baptismal records for instance.

Businesses create value that people are willing to pay for if they want to stay in business. Clearly ancestry.com is doing a good job at that since they are still around and apparently thriving. Enough said I think.
    You see anything with a camera icon on the records (link below familysearch.org) are there to view and download and they are constantly updating and adding more and more. I no longer have to order microfilm for my records because of what they keep uploading free of charge

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

• Yaffa
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Zaru View Post
      As James pointed out, Ancestry has the actual scanned primary sources (the actual baptismal,burial, and marriage registries) for much of the UK. Family Search does not have these yet. For you it is not a need, but for many of us it has been invaluable. The bottom line is that more records are becoming readily available and that is exciting.
      They may not be up yet but probably will be. I know Im still waiting for them to upload records I need. All in due time. I need county court minutes. They have added some counties in the state im researching just haven't added the county I need yet so I keep checking for updates

Comment

• Yaffa
        • May 2007

As James pointed out, Ancestry has the actual scanned primary sources (the actual baptismal,burial, and marriage registries) for much of the UK. Family Search does not have these yet. For you it is not a need, but for many of us it has been invaluable. The bottom line is that more records are becoming readily available and that is exciting.
        here are all the English records they have loaded so far

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

• 1_mke
          mtDNA: K2a | Y-DNA: R-L1029
          • Feb 2012

@Yaffa,
          I know all that. You are missing several things here.

1. Not everything that ancestry has is available for free elsewhere. I know this for a fact.
          2. While familysearch is a wonderful resource it isn't the be all or end all. You will have to pay money for some things and the only reason any of it is free is that the Mormon church is providing it primarily for their members and generously providing most of the same benefits to the general public. Thanks to them, but that sure as heck isn't free from their perspective. The church is likely subsidizing it heavily.
          3. I think most/all of us realize that there is no one perfect source of information out there. Having said that, ancestry.com is getting better every day and if I were a competitor I'd be worried.
          4. I know what I'm paying for with ancestry.com and find that what I get back exceeds my cost. Other peoples opinions are interesting but for me that is all that matters.

Comment

• Yaffa
            • May 2007

Originally posted by 1_mke View Post
            @Yaffa,
            I know all that. You are missing several things here.

1. Not everything that ancestry has is available for free elsewhere. I know this for a fact.
            2. While familysearch is a wonderful resource it isn't the be all or end all. You will have to pay money for some things and the only reason any of it is free is that the Mormon church is providing it primarily for their members and generously providing most of the same benefits to the general public. Thanks to them, but that sure as heck isn't free from their perspective. The church is likely subsidizing it heavily.
            3. I think most/all of us realize that there is no one perfect source of information out there. Having said that, ancestry.com is getting better every day and if I were a competitor I'd be worried.
            4. I know what I'm paying for with ancestry.com and find that what I get back exceeds my cost. Other peoples opinions are interesting but for me that is all that matters.
            I dont use one source and people who do serious research know better than to use one source. I was just stating for many, like myself ancestry has not been as useful. For me its not worth $29 a month but if it is useful for others fine. I was just letting people know there are other resources out there for free that one might not need to pay ancestry $29 a month. Especially people researching Mexico/Texas. Many records for Mexico are free at familysearch. I also research US and managed to download a lot of free records from familysearch that are not on ancestry.com. I am not a member of the LDS church or do I send them donations. I could get same records from the state archives but I will be charged for each copy. People need to understand that state archives charge a fee for search on top of copy of record. NC Archives charges $22 per search if you live out of state. They will charge this search fee regardless if they find the record. If they find the record they will charge you more than the search fee. Many NC records are on Familysearch for free. Mississippi State archives charges by the hour for research if you live out of state. You have to check with each state archives to find out what they will charge if you live out of state. I would rather do my own search on the LDS and load for free what I might have to pay a fortune for.

Comment

• PDHOTLEN
              FTDNA Customer
              • Feb 2006

For me, browsing around on Ancestry is a hobby. Hobbies usually cost money. I'm old, alone, divorced, no family left, etc. So I'm just trying to see where I came from.

Comment

• Yaffa
                • May 2007

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
                For me, browsing around on Ancestry is a hobby. Hobbies usually cost money. I'm old, alone, divorced, no family left, etc. So I'm just trying to see where I came from.
                Since your researching NC , you might want to use familysearch.org. it will save you a lot of trouble of making trips to the NC archives or paying them $22 per search. They keep adding a lot of records but one thing I love is NC wills. They are indexed and you can cross reference all the wills. Have fun digging!!!!

This is what they have added for free download in NC so far

Comment

• 1_mke
                  mtDNA: K2a | Y-DNA: R-L1029
                  • Feb 2012

Fair enough, but compared to the cost of duplicating what I get from ancestry.com elsewhere $29 is a pittance. Some examples,

I was able to track down my paternal grand fathers family in Kentucky and got in touch with several relatives I didn't even know existed including a first cousin twice removed. This in turn led to me getting access to many pictures and stories about that previously unknown to me part of my family.

I was able to track down a likely suspect for my maternal grandmother and quickly build a family tree going back four or more generations to use while searching my Mom's genetic matches. (She's was adopted)

I got in touch with an aunt I hadn't talked to in twenty years and a first cousin that I'd never met.

The list goes on and on.

You'll pay $29 per person to eat at a semi fancy restaurant these days. It's not chump change but as I've said several times already it isn't much at all compared to the value I've gotten and expect to continue to get.

A clarification on the cost, it's only $25 per month if you pay six months in advance.

Comment

• Yaffa
                    • May 2007

I have no need for world delux. Paid for it for years and never used it. I downgraded my account this year to $12.99 a month. Ancestry is great for fining cousins. Like you I speak to many and have met many through genealogy research and could have done that all along without paying the $29 per month

A lot of KY records are on line. A few cousins I have moved out that way. I dont know what KY State archives charges for searches since I haven't had to really research there. The cousins that I have in KY had to trace their ancestors back to NC and contact me for the patriarch info.

and about the $29 per month. Tell that to Texas. They charged me $22 for one marriage + $5 search fee. The marriage record not on line and had to get it from the courthouse. When I have to pay such a ridiculous amount for one record, Ill go to other webs that are free to make up for my loss

Comment

• Zaru
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
                      here are all the English records they have loaded so far

https://familysearch.org/search/coll...=BRITISH_ISLES

It looks like they are beginning the process but are lacking much of the records that Ancestry has already. Something tells me that Family Search will start offering these as a premium service soon.

Comment

• Yaffa
                        • May 2007

It looks like they are beginning the process but are lacking much of the records that Ancestry has already. Something tells me that Family Search will start offering these as a premium service soon.
                        I guess it depends because when in comes to NC, ancestry is lacking it what familysearch has for free. This goes for Mexico too. Maybe familysearch just happens to have posted less records at the moment where your researching. I know you have to sign up for a free account with familysearch.org to view some records but I have not heard them charging anyone for those records.

Comment

• macking104

Don't people read Privacy Policies?... They are often updated and do contain info about what happens to personal data when a company is sold...
                          Who we are Our website address is: https://www.smgf.org. Comments When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form,

Comment

• Yaffa
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by macking104 View Post
                            Don't people read Privacy Policies?... They are often updated and do contain info about what happens to personal data when a company is sold...
                            http://www.smgf.org/pages/privacy.jspx
                            may of us may not have signed that originally but you can have your file destroyed at SMGF if you dont want your personal info being sold

This is from SMGF-

To answer your question, AncestryDNA has acquired our DNA assets so this is more than simply 3rd party contact. Your participation is strictly voluntary, and you have the option to withdraw your sample from our project if you like. Although we are sorry to see you go, we can start that process right away. However, before we complete the process, please be aware:

· The purpose of SMGF has always been to support an important public purpose, namely the advancement of DNA-based genealogical research. Over the years SMGF has contributed greatly to advances in DNA genealogy research by providing online DNA databases and publishing numerous scientific articles. Now, the research has progressed to a point where AncestryDNA is better positioned to further provide these genealogical service benefits to the public than SMGF.

· AncestryDNA will use the SMGF participant data in the same manner as SMGF has in the past. For example, AncestryDNA will use SMGF DNA-related information to support genetic genealogy research of the same scope and purpose as outlined in SMGF's consent form and in accordance with IRB guidelines.

· By withdrawing your participation your DNA sample and pedigree information will be destroyed and thereby excluded from our future research endeavors and public DNA databases.

If you would like to withdraw your participation please provide authorization for us to destroy your DNA sample and pedigree information by responding to this email with your full name and birth date (this information enables us to unambiguously identify your sample). You will receive a confirmation email within four weeks letting you know when the process is complete.

Sincerely,

The SMGF Team

Comment

• tomcat
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • May 2005

This page is more germane to those who submitted a DNA sample to SMGF. This agreement gives SMGF the right to use your DNA sample in any way they deem appropriate to their mission. I suppose that right can be transferred, although this page does not address that possibility:

SMGF provides the latest news and medical reviews on health supplements and products how it affects your health, diet, fertility and genetics

As another posted has noted, such a sample, subjected to autosomal sampling, would yield data most likely destined for the Ancestry database that forms the basis of their version of Population Finder, if appropriate. So, while there is the possibility of a match, the data would not be exploited for such purposes ... if it were exploited for such purposes, those not AncestryDNA subscribers would, potentially, gain useful genealogical information without paying the freight.

Comment

• rivergirl
                                FTDNA Customer
                                • Jul 2006

I had a relative tested at SMGF in 2006.
                                Ive just emailed SMGF for clarification on what will happen to his DNA and pedigree. I was under the impression that his DNA and pedigree would not be used for profit.
                                I would be interested in his autosomal results though, as SMGF have not produced them.

Im quite happy with Ancestry.com, I have a 1 yr UK subscription which gives me access to all the English and Welsh Census and some WW1 military records.
                                I dont like their parish records. I enter Samuel James and get all records for James blah blah blah. Whats the point putting in the first and last name if they cant tell the difference.
                                Ill probably do a 1 yr subscription to findmypast next.

Comment

Working...
                                X