This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
    Posting my family tree public and posting a message on a public forum are two different things. Im just guessing you have your tree on rootsweb which is public. My tree is not on rootsweb and its set on private on ancestry. If I dont pay them upon renewal I do not have access to my tree.

You Calling the blog (Roberta Estes Blog) a want a be author!!!!!! Your quote below

"You posted someone blog post like it was a creditable source when all it look like to me is that it was written by a want a be author who's sources were only put there because she knew people would not check them out for them self's."

You calling Roberta a want to be author when she is highly respected is messed up and your the one who will be lossing the creditability not her.
    LOL thanks for the laugh. You make no since, why would I care if your tree is public? I think you try to mix things up on purpose so people look in another direction, away from the truth. Public post...private tree hmmm what is the one I commented on? I did call her a want a be author and have no problem admitting it because I read her blog and her attempt to write a review of her experience with her Ancestry DNA test which I think was a joke. I wondered if she was ever serious about taking the test. OH! for public record the only reason I spend any time defending Ancestry is because you do nothing but attack it and you seem to think no one should think different than you. Yaha right

Comment

• Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
      LOL thanks for the laugh. You make no since, why would I care if your tree is public? I think you try to mix things up on purpose so people look in another direction, away from the truth. Public post...private tree hmmm what is the one I commented on? I did call her a want a be author and have no problem admitting it because I read her blog and her attempt to write a review of her experience with her Ancestry DNA test which I think was a joke. I wondered if she was ever serious about taking the test. OH! for public record the only reason I spend any time defending Ancestry is because you do nothing but attack it and you seem to think no one should think different than you. Yaha right

Edward, I am in total agreement with Vinnie. I was posting to him not you but you seem to want to change topic and start with people. You make no sense and seem to have nothing better to do. Darren will lock the tread because of your behavior and since Roberta does head a few projects here at FTDNA Im sure they would come to her defense. If I were you I would leave badmouthing Roberta out of any of your future posts
      Last edited by Yaffa; 31 August 2012, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by vinnie View Post
        1. Okay guys, once again a thread is in danger of being locked. PLEASE cool it! If you want to go at each other, do it privately.

2. My Ancestry.com tree is a "public tree", but of course it can't be accessed by anyone who doesn't have an account with them.

3. I've got several source citations attached to my tree that I found either while a I was a paying customer or during one of their free periods. Since I'm not currently a paying customer, I can't view any of those sources - BAD!

4. Once again, I find a company changing things with no warning to the consumer. I think it's time that the genealogy community put pressure on ALL the companies for more consumer-friendly transparency.
        I agree with you. I could not find a way to delete my MT DNA that I entered manually even with my account being active. Even if you reactivated your account and deleted all your info, if it was copied by others its will remain on their trees.

Comment

• I don't have a problem with people copying from my tree because I'm confident that the information I've posted is as legitimate as it can be, and I'm happy to help others and possibly make connections with relatives who might fill in some of my missing info. I've also got a lot of other hard copy sources not posted to my tree that have been, to a large part, corroborated by older relatives in three different countries. As far as my yDNA matches, I wish I had copied them (mostly Jewish), but as I've posted before, the mtDNA "matches" were worthless as they were based only on HVR1 & 2 results - the haplogroups were all over the place.

Comment

Edward, I am in total agreement with Vinnie. I was posting to him not you but you seem to want to change topic and start with people. You make no sense and seem to have nothing better to do. Darren will lock the tread because of your behavior and since Roberta does head a few projects here at FTDNA Im sure they would come to her defense. If I were you I would leave badmouthing Roberta out of any of your future posts
            But you quoted from my post so I hope Vinnie doesn't get confused like I did. I could care less about Roberta and if Darren needs to close the tread he'll do it but he seems to have missed your treat. I don't know Roberta and would not know she ever was alive until you posted a link to her blog and since you made that part of the tread about AncestryDNA I have every right to make a comment about what she wrote.

Comment

• Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
              But you quoted from my post so I hope Vinnie doesn't get confused like I did. I could care less about Roberta and if Darren needs to close the tread he'll do it but he seems to have missed your treat. I don't know Roberta and would not know she ever was alive until you posted a link to her blog and since you made that part of the tread about AncestryDNA I have every right to make a comment about what she wrote.

Edward, were you not asked to "Drop IT". MFWARE in this thread on July 18th on page 15 posted Roberta's blog. This is now August 31st and we on on page 27.

I posted to Vinnie on page 25 discussing how we can not access our trees on ancestry without subscription which had NOTHING TO DO WITH ROBERTA"S BLOG!!!! I did not post to you on page 25 yet you responded to my post to Vinnie. You attacked my post to Vinny which had nothing to do with Roberta and you called her a want to be writer.

Now I am not the only one in this thread who is weary of ancestry but you seem to only like attacking me. Furthermore it seems other people in this forum hold Roberta in very high regard and with good reason.

http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=31272

LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Last edited by Yaffa; 31 August 2012, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• We all have opinions and I don't expect everyone to agree with me on this public tread or any other tread and have no ill will towards anyone of my fellow posters. If you are having people reply to a public forum post you should just expect to get replies from other who see something that interest them. Since there is one who post here more than most he or she should expect to have people reply even if they don't agree with what he or she says. If you can't back up what you have to write here maybe its best you not write a bunch of none since because we are all here to learn not have you try to convince the rest of us your way of thinking or opinion is the only way.

Comment

• I hope Darren closes both threads about Ancestry. Quite frankly I'm sick of this bickering. These two threads about it dominated the topics the other weekend, and it is getting old. The only benefit of FTDNA keeping these open is for potential customers to find this site and read about the some of the nasty practices going on at Ancestry.

1. There is good and bad in all companies, nothing is perfect.

2. I made my tree at Ancestry private over these stupid threads. And why because and don't take this the wrong way Yaffa, you said that all you did was call them and they offered you the test right away. So even though I truly don't care about their test, which BTW, I don't think is up to par ie. wrong mtDNA haplogroup designation for others. I did it on principle as many people signed up for it months ago, and they are still on the waiting list.

3. That is just wrong if vinnie offered his results there 1 year or so ago, and now they shut him down with access, because of no subscription? I would call them and discuss what is up with that.

4. I have always been able to access my tree, and view records when I was not a paying customer. I just decided to check now, esp. since I went private, and guess what I can access my tree, and view records!! So I will go public again. Really I'm only hurting myself, and other people that may be related trying to make a connection. After all it was through them that I made really good connections.

Finally I just want to say to FTDNA how about doing a better job at marketing. How about getting TV ads. Every time I turn around, I see on TV ancestry.com blah, blah, blah! Sorry in this day and age, people still see a lot on TV, they don't hear about everything on the internet. How about more sales? The economy is bad. We are all wondering where our matches are for almost a month. I don't think a lot of people are willing to spend an extra $200 and some on this, when they have to pay for food, and pay bills!

Ancestry should just stick to paper records is my final ramblings in my rant!

Comment

• @1796 I dont believe I said I called them as far as getting the test. I called to ask questions. I hit the request DNA button on my account and within a week I got an email with an offer for the DNA test while others have been waiting for months. Why was I able to get the test within in a week when others are still waiting?? I don't know but my AI DNA is on my tree and could be a reason why I was able to get the test so quickly. Others have posted in this thread or one of the other threads why the Mormans in general are interested in AI and the person now in charge of Sorenson is also on Ancestry's DNA advisory board. I will say it's suspicious as to why I was offered the test so quickly

Comment

@1796 I dont believe I said I called them as far as getting the test. I called to ask questions. I hit the request DNA button on my account and within a week I got an email with an offer for the DNA test while others have been waiting for months. Why was I able to get the test within in a week when others are still waiting?? I don't know but my AI DNA is on my tree and could be a reason why I was able to get the test so quickly. Others have posted in this thread or one of the other threads why the Mormans in general are interested in AI and the person now in charge of Sorenson is also on Ancestry's DNA advisory board. I will say it's suspicious as to why I was offered the test so quickly
                      Yaffa, I was not sure whether you called them or emailed. I couldn't tell from that post. It is scary if they have other motives for offering you the test so quickly such as your Native American heritage. I find that very troubling from them if this is the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1796 View Post
                        Yaffa, I was not sure whether you called them or emailed. I couldn't tell from that post. It is scary if they have other motives for offering you the test so quickly such as your Native American heritage. I find that very troubling from them if this is the case.
                        Yes it is if that is the reason. I cant say for sure if this is the reason I was offered the test so quickly but it is odd that so many people are still waiting and I got the test within a week. I have not returned it back to ancestry because I am weary of what their motives are after reading Roberta's blog and me being offered the test so quickly. I spoke to Roberta personally which I often do since her ancestors lived near mine and we may be related. Roberta and I know many of the same researchers and I know Roberta well enough that if she feels us DNA testers might get ripped off from DNA testing she will warn us and blog about it.

Comment

• I don't think it's unusual or unethical to give preference to under represented populations when it comes to DNA testing. Improving the databases helps a lot of people.

Also keep in mind that people in under represented populations are likely going to get a lot fewer matches than those who are on the opposite end of the spectrum. Getting to test and see results a bit before most people is a tiny bit of compensation for the likely lack of matches at the end.

Comment

• I have never done an in depth study of Morman beliefs but others have posted what they believe with AI which if true is an unethical reason for wanting AI DNA and extremely disrespectful to AI in general. Wanting populations because of lack of samples is something else. I cant answer you about their reasoning at this time but I will say I am uncomfortable about giving them my DNA. If others are comfortable giving them your DNA that is your choice. If I cant see my raw data to know if its accurate and if my matches are accurate, this is not something I want to pay for, Also the medical, if they cant tell me who wants my medical and why, I will not give them my DNA.

Comment

• I am going to close this thread down for now since I don't feel there is any new information coming out that has not been posted already.

-Darren Marin
                              Family Tree DNA

Comment

Working...
                              X