This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by teyoung View Post
    ... It may just be that my sample was no good and not related to the amount. They are processing these very quickly. I got the failure notice just one day after I got the sample received notice. I assume the actual analysis and match computation will take longer.
    After several weeks of waiting for my AncestryDNA results, I received a notice of failure earlier this evening. Ancestry asked me to request a new sample collection kit.

I too noticed that the collection vial had a shallow bottom. However, the 23andMe collection vial also has a shallow bottom. Although I cannot state with absolute certainty that the 23andMe vial is identical to the AncestryDNA vial, this is my firm belief. Quite frankly, I cannot develop a believable scenario in which over-collection will damage the sample absent a spill. In the case of a properly sealed collection vial, the sample has a higher concentration of DNA.

One has to wonder if the heat that Ancestry is getting is having an effect.

Comment

• Ancestry rec'd the DNA on 22 Jun 2012. I got my results back today, 27 July 2012.

2 supposed 4th cousins, and then 5 pages of distant. Have no idea how valid any of the distant matches are.

I have not looked too much at the results, as the pages are so SLOW when I click on matches. There are 5 pages of matches. I don't like the setup of the pages. Out of 23andMe, Ancestry and FTDNA, I like FTDNA's info and setup the most.

Comment

• I have a page of 4th cousin matches, but 1/2 of them either have NO tree or private trees. Every person I have emailed (6) has not responded at all. I can tell they have logged on, they just don't respond. Not even to tell me to bug off. I understand about private trees. I have private trees, but I made a public one just to link to the DNA test with all the information with my private trees, just without the family photos.

I'm not sure I understand why people would take a dna test to find relatives and then not answer queries and keep their tree locked. Makes no sense and seems like a waste of money.

Comment

• Don't count out "very low" when it comes to Ancestry. I just for the fun of it looked up the last two pages and found two matches with a Common Ancestor 4th or 5th cousins. Pain in the you know what when you can only compare 2 of your matches at a time before being sent back to page 1. Also Annoying you send feed back to them and get no reply. I did see proof they are getting the message when I pointed out that some names were getting repeated. But nothing when it come to only being able to see two matches at a time than being sent back to page 1.
          Last edited by EdwardRHill; 31st July 2012, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• My results came in yesterday after less than a month. I'm still sifting through things but I have found one link already to an apparently sixth cousin twice removed which is cool.

Interestingly their admixture test for me has zero british isles...

Scandinavian: 71%
            Eastern European: 19%
            Southern European: 10%

According to my genealogy research I'm about 50% Irish on my fathers side and early colonial for the other half of his ancestry. The colonial is where most of the eastern and southern comes from as my Mom has been tested and shows little influence from those regions.

My mom was born in London which suggests british isles ancestry though she was adopted so it's difficult to be sure. Her admixture tests primarily point to the british isles though so my Scandinavian result seems odd.

Comment

• They got my Ashkenazi almost exactly right. The other admixture seems to be off – far more British Isles than my matches suggest. I've checked some other matches, and one who is projected 100% Isles is half-German and half colonial American with British, German, Scandinavian, and Swiss. I think they have some work to do.

None of my matches are closer than 4th-6th cousins. Haven't tried making contact with any yet.

Originally posted by 1_mke View Post
              My results came in yesterday after less than a month. I'm still sifting through things but I have found one link already to an apparently sixth cousin twice removed which is cool.

Interestingly their admixture test for me has zero british isles...

Scandinavian: 71%
              Eastern European: 19%
              Southern European: 10%

According to my genealogy research I'm about 50% Irish on my fathers side and early colonial for the other half of his ancestry. The colonial is where most of the eastern and southern comes from as my Mom has been tested and shows little influence from those regions.

My mom was born in London which suggests british isles ancestry though she was adopted so it's difficult to be sure. Her admixture tests primarily point to the british isles though so my Scandinavian result seems odd.

Comment

• I have one 4th cousin match, the rest are all very distant.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYMark View Post
                  They got my Ashkenazi almost exactly right. The other admixture seems to be off – far more British Isles than my matches suggest. I've checked some other matches, and one who is projected 100% Isles is half-German and half colonial American with British, German, Scandinavian, and Swiss. I think they have some work to do.

None of my matches are closer than 4th-6th cousins. Haven't tried making contact with any yet.
                  How many total matches do you have? And what is your percentage of Ashkenazi ancestry?

I just received my results yesterday, so I'm still learning how to navigate their system. It looks like there are 50 matches per page, and I have 15 full pages plus 11 records on the 16th page, so 761 matches. Each page takes me 30 seconds to load. Is that typical?

Comment

• 3 results compared

Within Ancestry's DNA results I found a name that I have in FF and RF too.

FF 2nd Cousin - 4th Cousin 3rd Cousin 51.38 24.17
                    5 31250915 32785349 3.81 548
                    5 33630323 67174869 24.17 6500
                    5 154589273 156728297 1.51 500

RF 4th Cousin (3rd to Distant Cousin)
                    5 33000000 67000000 24.4 cM 5860

Ancestry Predicted relationship: Fourth Cousin
                    Possible range: 4th - 6th cousins
                    No segment or mapping data available (bummer).

We have not confirmed where our link is but most likely a ancestor of ours beyond his tree of 6 generations as we share a few surnames in common. My tree for the same surname I'm thinking we match at (Wyatt) goes back to 10 generations but his only 6. Of course it is possible one of us have incorrect data in our tree or I'm leaning toward the wrong surname.

I don't like the fact that we receive no information on the segment locations we share in the Ancestry test; however it really works nice when two people do share the same ancestor because it automatically found a common ancestor between myself and another match and suggested the relationship.

Matt.

Comment

• Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                      We have not confirmed where our link is but most likely a ancestor of ours beyond his tree of 6 generations as we share a few surnames in common. My tree for the same surname I'm thinking we match at (Wyatt) goes back to 10 generations but his only 6. Of course it is possible one of us have incorrect data in our tree or I'm leaning toward the wrong surname.
                      Any Whites or Hyatts or similar in your tree? I've found a few names get changed over geography and/or time.

My mother has a predicted 4th cousin with Family Finder who is in fact a simultaneous 8th and 9th cousin, something like that could be going on too.

Comment

• No Whites or Hyatts.. This person matches my mother so I know for sure which of my trees he links too. Thanks for the tip.

I've found a few of of my FF 4th or 4th/5th remotes on my mother's side end up being 6th - 8th cousins. This could be the case here too where it predicts 3rd but it ends up being 5th or something.

It's a matter of time I believe. I hit the in-common with filter in FF but since they are re-running the entire FF database it's stuck right now.

Matt.

Comment

• Hi Ann,

I'm 50% Ashkenazi, with the possibility of a little very remote Ashkenazi on the non-AJ side (I suppose the opposite is possible as well, a little distant non-AJ on the AJ side.) Ancestry estimated me as 49%. Other estimates had me at 58-62%,

I have 350 matches total. 50 predicted 4th-6th, with a 95% or more level of certainty. The rest distant and speculative. 6 of the 50 are non-AJ, which is significantly higher percentage than here (20 non-AJ out of over 700 matches.)

Pages are very slow to load.

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
                          How many total matches do you have? And what is your percentage of Ashkenazi ancestry?

I just received my results yesterday, so I'm still learning how to navigate their system. It looks like there are 50 matches per page, and I have 15 full pages plus 11 records on the 16th page, so 761 matches. Each page takes me 30 seconds to load. Is that typical?

Comment

6 of the 50 are non-AJ, which is significantly higher percentage than here (20 non-AJ out of over 700 matches.)
                            My guess is the Ancestry DNA database is fairly heavily weighted to colonial US. The FTDNA database will have this of course but will be weighted proportionally heavier to Ashkenazi.

23andme suffers three problems for people in your position: it is weighted heavily to Ashkenazim, the cutoff segments are too short (which because of endogamy encourages many marginal matches), and there is a cap on the number of Relative Finder relatives.

Comment

• Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                              It's a matter of time I believe. I hit the in-common with filter in FF but since they are re-running the entire FF database it's stuck right now.
                              You're most welcome Matt. I hope this will be sorted out soon, since I would guess we're about due for another upload.

Comment

Hi Ann,

I'm 50% Ashkenazi, with the possibility of a little very remote Ashkenazi on the non-AJ side (I suppose the opposite is possible as well, a little distant non-AJ on the AJ side.) Ancestry estimated me as 49%. Other estimates had me at 58-62%,

I have 350 matches total. 50 predicted 4th-6th, with a 95% or more level of certainty. The rest distant and speculative. 6 of the 50 are non-AJ, which is significantly higher percentage than here (20 non-AJ out of over 700 matches.)

Pages are very slow to load.
                                Thanks for the stats. It does appear that the demographics and probably the algorithm are a bit different. I have 191 matches here at FTDNA, vs 761 at AncestryDNA (17 of which are in the 4th-6th cousin range). So I have ~twice as many total matches but ~ one-third as many 4th-6th cousins.

Comment

Working...
                                X