• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zaru
    replied
    Caveat.

Originally posted by efgen View Post
    Either one is probably fine, though you may be better off starting with the one for your current surname, since the admin won't question your wanting to join a project for your own surname.

Once you get your results, if you end up matching the other surname, you can join that project too. You can join and leave projects any time, and be in multiple projects. So don't stress over which project to order through

Elise
    Some projects (and hopefully NOT the ones that you intend to join) have stringent rules of joining. Some wish you to have a proven lineage into that country or surname and may require you to submit a tree, although they may list themselves as a "public" project.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Leave a comment:

• EdwardRHill
    replied
    Never mind Elise is right
    Last edited by EdwardRHill; 25 April 2012, 04:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• efgen
    replied
    Either one is probably fine, though you may be better off starting with the one for your current surname, since the admin won't question your wanting to join a project for your own surname.

Once you get your results, if you end up matching the other surname, you can join that project too. You can join and leave projects any time, and be in multiple projects. So don't stress over which project to order through

Elise

Leave a comment:

• MixedBreed
    Guest started a topic New guy here - Which surname?

New guy here - Which surname?

Hello, I am totally new to this so please pardon the dumb questions. I am considering getting a yDNA test, and noticed that if I sign up for a surname project, I get a discount. Problem is, I have good reason to believe (but no hard proof) that my family changed surnames about 3 or 4 generations ago when they moved from Scotland to Ireland. In fact, resolving this question is one of the main reasons I want to take the test. I noticed the project database has entries for both my current and my (suspected) old surname. So which do I register for to get the discount? And if it turns out I picked the wrong name, can I switch projects? Or am I totally confused as to how this works? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Working...
X