X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EdwardRHill
    replied
    Originally posted by thetick View Post
    Now FTDNA has reused my initial DNA sample from FF for a YDNA upgrade and an MtDNA FMS. I just ordered another YDNA upgrade and was curious if FTDNA can still use my old FF samples?

Does FTDNA indicate on myFTDNA website they failed at extracting DNA from my sample and will be sending a kit? I just ordered earlier today and only see a 0 Batch number. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing the Batch number comes ONLY if are successful at extracting DNA from my sample. Are the Batches numbers still distributed on Wednesday?
    I had ordered a test and had some trouble. It turned out I didn't mention my kit number when I ordered the test which cause some confusion. They ended up using what was left over from my original sample.

Leave a comment:

• Jomid59
    replied
    Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
    In the new interface, you can see the status of your orders by first going to the Order History (or "View Complete Order History"), then clicking on "Check the status of pending tests."
    "View complete order history"
    shows the following: Product; Date, Status, Batch

Yes I know that, and it only changes at each level (e.g., ordered, batched, etc).
    my current test if FF showing a status of ordered and a batch of 0.

I see no button for "check the status of pending tests"

The old UI had a comments field next to the status which contained info on the progress, that is how I knew the failure was due to an exhausted swab and on what day the test had failed.

Not that any of this really matters. It will be done when it is done, they say patience is a virtue.

Leave a comment:

• lgmayka
    replied
    Originally posted by Jomid59 View Post
    Before the recent change to the UI, I had notification of failures and that my second swab was being used, partly why my factoids took so long.
    In the new interface, you can see the status of your orders by first going to the Order History (or "View Complete Order History"), then clicking on "Check the status of pending tests."

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    The PCR (polymerase chain reaction) process caused DNA to replicate itself so any sample that undergoes PCR contains more of your DNA than the original sample. A failed sample is one that fails to respond to PCR and produce sufficient DNA to perform the desired test.

I think FTDNA stores all DNA submitted for 25 years. As, I never got a notice of failure, I expect my account contains frozen PCR'd material and a second un-PCR'd swab as a back-up.
    Last edited by tomcat; 22 April 2012, 07:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    Unless things have changed, orders are batched for the lab on Wednesdays.

Last week one of my project members returned a kit that was ordered in 2008. FTDNA told them it would still be good. The sample wasn't collected until FTDNA had been called.

Leave a comment:

• Taz85
    replied
    You get a batch # when your sample hits the lab. I don't think they use lets say a whole vial for 1 test. Ive done Ydna, deepclade, mtdna, and familyfinder and didn't have to send a new sample. I assume they can get multiple tests from one vial, but not positive. They do send an email if a test fails.

Leave a comment:

• Jomid59
    replied
    Before the recent change to the UI, I had notification of failures and that my second swab was being used, partly why my factoids took so long.
    Also used to get regular updates as to progress.
    Unfortunately, the new system does not seem to work so well.

Having had so many tests done, I suspect my sample may be exhausted, so I am expecting a message that new swabs have been sent. Hope not, as I won't be back in the UK until June.

Here I am guessing, but I would have thought the batches won't be assigned until all sale orders are in.

Just checked, just says ordered (19th) and Batch 0.
    Last edited by Jomid59; 22 April 2012, 12:07 AM. Reason: update

Leave a comment:

• thetick
    started a topic Reuse my DNA sample

Reuse my DNA sample

Now FTDNA has reused my initial DNA sample from FF for a YDNA upgrade and an MtDNA FMS. I just ordered another YDNA upgrade and was curious if FTDNA can still use my old FF samples?

Does FTDNA indicate on myFTDNA website they failed at extracting DNA from my sample and will be sending a kit? I just ordered earlier today and only see a 0 Batch number. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing the Batch number comes ONLY if are successful at extracting DNA from my sample. Are the Batches numbers still distributed on Wednesday?
Working...
X