Finding Your Roots Creates Web Traffic Spike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Your Roots Creates Web Traffic Spike

According to Google Analytics, traffic to my DNA Testing Adviser web site made a significant upward jump on March 25 and has remained higher than normal in the ten days since. The added traffic came almost entirely from search engines. I can only think of one explanation for this.

The first episode of Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates Jr. ran on March 25. Some fraction of the viewers must have been motivated to search the Internet for more information on DNA testing.

Hopefully, many of them will move beyond mere curiosity and actually order DNA tests...expanding the key databases that genealogists and adoptees depend on for matches.

Agreed.

This forum really needs a like button.

Comment

There have been a number of informed objections to the way Gates surmised ancestral paternity for Canada in the last segment. I hope your site disabuses prospective users of the utility of 23andMe Y and Mt data as authoritative guides to single-line ancestries.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...GY-DNA/2012-04

Comment

To get this thread back on topic...

Good job, Richard! Regardless of Gates' politics, he's getting people interested in genealogy--more specifically, in genetic genealogy. I'm glad there are websites like Richard's, where newbies can learn about DNA testing, and make an informed decision before they order.

Comment

I've missed most of this TV stuff. As far as Canada is concerned with my own expanded tree, I have old connections going back a couple centuries on my maternal side; based on rare HVR1+HVR2 matching. And I saw my last name in Victoria, B.C. a few years ago, although I've since lost track of that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaru
            the admin should really lock down these type of threads.
            Agreed.

Comment

Hello all,

Please keep this thread on topic regarding the program regardless what you may think of the host.

-Darren Marin
              Family Tree DNA

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                Hello all,

Please keep this thread on topic regarding the program regardless what you may think of the host.

-Darren Marin
                Family Tree DNA
                Last edited by EdwardRHill; 5 April 2012, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X